cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I accept new contract will I be downgraded from 40/10 to 40/2 ?

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: If I accept new contract will I be downgraded from 40/10 to 40/2 ?

@garyw335

I think if you rang COT and told them you would be prepared to sign up to an 18 month contract only if you were allowed to keep your existing 40/10 product, they might offer you a discount compared to what you would be paying when your current discount expires. If they don't then you can always stay on your existing 40/10 package on a monthly contract basis, and change to BT without penalty at any time. It's a free phone call (0800 013 2632), and if you call around 8.00am you shouldn't be on hold very long (if at all).

Edited phone number (sorry!)

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Just to clarify, the number for customer options is 0800 013 2632. Smiley
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

When I renewed, I was told that my product would remain unchanged. I made it crystal clear during the conversation that if my upload was to drop to 2Mbps as a result of this change, I wasn't interested. Luckily, it didn't change.

I have learned a few things worth doing whenever you call Plusnet (especially if you are calling about renewing a contract).

1) Release your caller ID when you call. Most lines are set not to hide the caller ID, but some are. Why do this? Because if Plusnet need to listen back to a call, they can use the calling line identity to find the call. Easiest way for them to find it.

2) If you are being told on the phone call that your speed won't change, make it absolutely clear that you are talking about upload speed not changing, and have them confirm this. Also state that you are proceeding with the contract based on being told that. I also like to make mention that I know they record calls, and I just want it to be absolutely clear to anyone listening back to this call, that this was a condition of me renewing my contract.

3) If you want to go for a 'belt n braces' approach, record the conversation (let them know you are doing this).

These measures may sound a bit extreme, but I speak from experience. There was a situation where I was told something on the phone, and it turned out not to be the case, and I realised the only evidence I had of this was what was said in the phone call. No emails or notes from Plusnet reflected what was said. When I complained, Plusnet listened back to the phone call, which confirmed my story, so they honoured what was offered. Had Plusnet not found the phone call, it might have been a different outcome. (Incidentally, my phone line doesn't routinely release the caller ID, which made it much harder for them to find the call, so now I always release my caller ID when calling Plusnet).

One last thing, just before the conversation finishes, I like to end with a summary of what I am being offered, and ask them to confirm that my understanding is correct.

Yes, it all seems a bit extreme, but you have to protect yourself, clarity along with a verbal acknowledgement from Plusnet offers you reasonable protection.

gerbal12
Dabbler

Hi

Been with PN for 6 years and finished up on 55/10 last August from a 40/20 fibre package.

Contract was up 27-02-2017 so enquired if I would get same speed. Answer was yes so I renewed

Speed dropped to 40/2 on the 27th, not a happy bunny having agreed to a 24 month new contract

Question raised and I am now getting 37/8

Having had speeds of 51/9 for 7 months I don't think this is acceptable. Cannot get to speak to anyone on the phone so just keep waiting for questions to be answered, very slow. Can anyone help please.

Gerbal12

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hi there @gerbal12

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'm just having a read through the notes on your account to try to determine what's happened.

Thanks for your patience. I've tested your line and I can see the asset with our suppliers is still 55/10. It looks like your account itself has reverted back to a 40/2 profile after the recontracting.

I'm just seeing if I can get this amended for you now.

+Edit+

@gerbal12 Please could you try a reboot of your router now and let me know how you get on?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
gerbal12
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Many thanks for your help. I have rebooted several times but did it again just now. There does seem to be improvement depending on which speed test used

BT Wholesale gave me 27.2 and 5.46

Thinkbroadband   TBB was 23.1 and 3.34

Thinkbroadband HTTPx 6 was 49.7 and 3.34

Ookla    gave me 49.9 and 9.2

I have the Plusnet Hub 1 now and have noticed my connection remains on 80.229.158.127 ( it behaves like a static address) no matter how long I leave it off . Had it off for 40 mins and still same connection.

My main concern is I do not want a 24 month contract, which I have agreed to if I am not going to get My 51/9, this I did make plain before agreeing to new contract  

Ookla is telling me I have this but not sure why other tests show much lower speeds

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Unsure as to why the BTW tester is giving you a lower speed than the Ookla one.

What results do you get when you complete the BTW further diagnostics?
gerbal12
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

I've attached a BT Wholesale speed test with further diagnostics and ookla taken same time

Many thanks

Gerbal12

gerbal12
Dabbler

not sure you got them both

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for that. Still unsure why the BTW one is showing lower but from the Ookla test it seems that you're now getting the expected throughput.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How are you testing the speeds, wired or WiFi?

gerbal12
Dabbler

All speed tests are wired although with the Hub One you can't turn off wireless.

gerbal12
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help Anoush it restores a little faith in Plusnet.

Do you know if my connection is static IP?

My connection now is certainly not as good as before, much more buffering slower to respond.

I have attached Ookla screenshot of tests

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@gerbal12

To see if you have a static IP goto https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection (login required) and click on the icon "Static IP". It will tell you there if you have one.

By the way, on Plusnet now the dynamic IP addresses are very sticky as they are allocated at the exchange level from a small local pool of addresses. Previously they were allocated at the London data centres from a much larger pool.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@gerbal12 - You have a static IP.