Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IWould love to be on fibre

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

IWould love to be on fibre

I would love to be on fibre and yes it's available in my area but what puts me off is the number of complaints and problems made by users in this forum.
ASDL has always worked fine for me but is slow at 1.5 to 2
So the question is what to do, I guess that once you opt for fibre it's a one way street and no going back to ASDL ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
19 REPLIES 19
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: IWould love to be on fibre

I also am on ADSL with fibre available at my local cabinet and have been letting 'fibre fever' die down.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mathias
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
I would love to be on fibre and yes it's available in my area but what puts me off is the number of complaints and problems made by users in this forum.
So the question is what to do, I guess that once you opt for fibre it's a one way street and no going back to ASDL ?

No problems for me on my PN fibre connection. You need to be aware that on any help and support forum you are going to see more negative than positive by it's very nature. Whilst there may be some peak time issues for some areas, i think most people have a pretty good experience. Therefore if you need the extra speed and don't mind the extra cost, then i would encourage you to go for it.
Don't believe it's a one way street but would let a more knowledgeable person confirm that for certain.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We could regrade you back to ADSL if you wanted (takes about 5 working days though).
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

after the 18 month lockin as well
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I guess it's unlikely to happen but it would give prospective customers more confidence if there was a clause in the contract that allowed you to switch back to ASDL if any major connection problems had not been sorted out within a period of 30 days.
I realise PN rely on openreach to undertake the work and some problems are beyond their control but customers have a direct contract with PN which is no different to purchasing goods in a local shop which turn out to be faulty and it's for the shop to put right even though the fault may lie with the manufacturer.
Sorry about the rant, thanks for the responses.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I will probably go to fibre when it becomes available later this summer if only because non of the reported problems appear to come from my neck of the woods and it would be nice to get some decent download speeds
However - there is one proviso - Plusnet need to offer a decent deal otherwise I will wait for the annual price rise with its "get out of jail free card" then decide
lf2k
Grafter

I wouldn't let the complaints/queries colour your perception as to whether it's worth it or not - if you're signing up for a service that promises 40 or 80Mbps, then some people want to get as close to that as they can (I count myself amongst that group!).
That said, compared to my old ADSL connection (I migrated across in April) it's like night and day.  On a bad day I might "just" get 30Mbps at peak time.  Previously I had lots of disconnects and slow downs - fibre is (in my experience) a lot more reliable.
Obviously, your mileage may vary... but please don't let the negativity you see in some forums where people will be quibbling about pings, interleaving  or whatever - 99% of the time line/connection performance will still be considerably superior to ADSL.  And in my case I'm paying about the same each month as I did when I was on DSL...
Out of interest, do you have an idea of what speed you might get if you were to migrate?
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Gleneagles:  Like you I was on a very long ADSL line getting only 2mb. Fibre had been in our area for approx a year when I  switched to fibre (up to 38mb)  last December. Really close to cabinet so get full speed. Depends what you do online, how many people online in house etc. Fibre could only be huge improvement. For me it meant now being able to stream easily hd video from iPlayer & Amazon. Audio book downloads that previously took 20 mins now done in 2 mins. Been stable & reliable for me so far. Also when phoned PN to ask about switch got 2 yr fixed deal cheaper than what was paying for my 2mb adsl.
As mentioned by If2k you need to get an estimate of what your fibre speed might be. Unless you're a long way from your cabinet it should be much better than your adsl.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Like you I was on a 2 Mbps ADSL line when I upgraded to fibre some 3 years ago. It's the best decision I could have made. My connection has been 99.999% reliable & has consistently delivered speeds in excess of 43 Mbps. Yes, there are users who do have problems & air their frustrations on this excellent forum, but bear in mind that they are a very small minority.
Therefore my advice to you is stop dithering & ......................DO IT!!!!!
probedb
Rising Star

It is a help forum so people are going to vent, especially if they have problems. You'll always get more people doing this than people posting praise.
I was unable to get fibre even though my exchange was enabled....my cabinet was always on the coming soon list....for over a year. Moved to a village and now have PN fibre, works fine. PN customer service has always been great as well.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the feedback,
Spoke to PN today and the switch from ASDL to Fibre will cost me little more than I am paying at present, my current speeds are between 1.5 and 2 but was advised this will increase to 30 on Fibre and is unlikely to be more than 2 out on either side of that figure except for the first 10 days whilst it settles down.
The switch includes unlimited downloads (within reason) compared to the ASDL package which is limited to 10 GB a month which will cost me more if exceeded so on that basis alone it's a good deal.
So I have gone for it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

there's nothing 'within reason' about the downloads Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Well done, you won't regret it.  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

increase to 30 on Fibre and is unlikely to be more than 2 out on either side of that figure except for the first 10 days whilst it settles down.
And that is - I am sorry to say - a load of rubbish
If you put your number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput it will give you two ranges - impacted (cross talk mainly) and non impacted neither of which will have a range as low as +/- 2Mbit and the line starts off as fast as it can go and then backs off usually over the first 48 hours
There is no such thing as a 10 day training period on fibre