cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP

LBH

ISP

My son's HP computer is no longer connected to our internet. Keeps saying connect Ethernet cable but we've never used one.

Would getting a Username and Password  from Plusnet help me connect?Huh

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: ISP

Hi @LBH Welcome to the forums. Sounds like your sons laptop has lost the wireless connection somehow. What network does it say it is connected to? Are all other devices OK?

You already have the username and password if you are otherwise connected.

John
LBH

It's a desktop and an old one at that. Everything else in house is connected OK. When I look at network status it just says you are not connected to any networks. I click on troubleshoot and it says "plug an ethernet cable into this computer. But we've never used a cable. Always wireless. When I try to connect to broadband manually, it comes up with the modem, or connecting device, as reported an error. I've tried resetting modem
jab1
Legend

Thanks for coming back, @LBH . From what you say above it sounds like the wireless card/chip on that machine could have a problem, but that is only a guess as it isn't something I've come across before.

As a check, somewhere on your taskbar (bottom right) there should be an icon which may look like a set of steps or maybe a radio beacon - I don't know which as I've never used HP gear - if you left click on that, does it show a list of possible networks, including yours?

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @LBH 

As @jab1has suggested is the WiFi turned off on the computer?

The standard Windows 10 interface is shown at:

https://www.techbout.com/how-to-turn-wifi-on-off-in-windows-10-30314/

Regards

Richard

jab1
Legend

@RichardB As the OP says it is a very old machine, I'm guessing it won't be running that OS, Smiley but I shall await a response before passing further comment.

John