cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPoE routing setup on TG582n Router

jkmuk

IPoE routing setup on TG582n Router

Hope some one can help!
I have a spare TG582n router that I plan to use to setup a segregated lan (for my lab)  network on a different subnet.  I already have a another router that connects to the internet.  I plan to use the IPoE feature on the router to create this sub-network
My Setup
1.  My current network in on 192.168.1.0/24  and is connected to the internet (Plusnet Fibre FTTC PPPoE)
2.  I want to create a new lab-subnet 10.0.0.0/24 routed using a TG582n router that sits under the 192.168.1.0/24 network
3.  The lab sub-net will need to have internet connectivity
My actions so far
1. I had removed all PPPoE configuration on the spare router
2. I decided to use Ethernet port 4 as the WAN side of this subnet .
3. I  have created a ip interface with ipv4 and ipv6 connectivity and attached it to the ethport4 (eth interface)
All seems to be working in that my sub-net works fine assigning addresses in the 10.0.0.0/24 space  and communication between them is fine, however I am not able to forward any internet destined packet to my 192.168.1.0/24 network. Tracert stops at my 10.0.0.0/24 gateway. Is there any step I am missing when setting up a IPoE routing? Anyone have experience doing this?
ps: My router uses a 10.2.5.2.FO firmware.
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: IPoE routing setup on TG582n Router

Do you need the new network to be isolated from the main LAN?
If so try this on the internet connected TG582n, changing the IP address to suit, and connect the modified ethernet port to your second router on subnet 10.0.0.0/24.
http://npr.me.uk/basicdmz.html
jkmuk

Thanks npr.
I had pretty much done what you have on your web page.  However I was also trying to get the ipv6 working.  That seems to be the problem. Everything works if I turn off ipv6 as expected.  Do you have any instruction on getting ipv6 to work?  My internet facing router is not another TG582n instead it is a dedicated pfsense firewall & router so I guess I have more control over it.  The local network is all setup to use ipv6 and I use  a ::/64 network prefix obtained through a ipv6 tunnel (HE Tunnel).  I tried assigning a ipv6 address to this sub-net TG582n router but it does not seem to be accepting any from the DHCPv6 server on my pfsense router.
I am still investigating, any help with configuring ipv6 DHCP based  (managed - both IP and other configuration obtained from a dhcpv6 server) will be useful.
Thanks
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Sorry I've taken no interest in IPv6.
I fact I make a point of disabling it where possible, I find it slows down my dns resolvers.  Roll_eyes