cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile wrong

Jameseh
Hooked

IP profile wrong

Hi guys, I've been having connection issues since Friday(support ticket open on my account). Openreach say they didn't find an issue outside.

I've just plugged into the test socket and have a connection but very slow. Checked on BT wholesale tests and My IP profile is set to around 8mbps on the downstream.

Any ideas what can be causing the low IP profile, could the router be at fault?
7 REPLIES 7
Jameseh
Hooked

Re: IP profile wrong

The plot thickens, I'm starting to believe it's not a hardware fault... I've just poked my head out of our window directly above the master socket, the neighbouring building to the rear of our flat has scaffolding up and the BT line seems tangled in it!

Added a video just to confirm what I'm looking at is actually the phone line?
https://youtu.be/uuDm9gyNuTI

Not sure where to go from here, if our line has been damaged by someone else, do we have to pay openreach to fix it???
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I think it best we arrange an engineer visit. 

I'm unsure if there's a physical issue with the line as tests are passing without sign of any problems but we should get that looked at. 

If the line is damaged you wouldn't be liable but I'd imagine Openreach might speak to the builders if they've moved it to get their scaffold in place. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Jameseh
Hooked

Thanks Adam,

I have contacted the landlord of the property who have the scaffolding up.

Its a bit bizarre that line tests are showing OK though? I'm at work at the moment so cant check but it was down this morning and last night. Do the tests show if the router has connection now? Does it show historical connections/drops?

I did notice it came up breifly last night but the IP profile has dropped massively (was around 5mbps).

I have the chance to try a friends spare router tonight, do you think its worth checking to rule out a router fault?

Kind regards,

James

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi again James, 

OK, that's definitely a good idea to initiate contact about the neighbouring property and also to try another router. 

Even though the line appears to be wrapped around the scaffold it may not be causing an issue but I do think it's best to keep this in mind whilst we look at other issues too. 

We're not actually seeing an active session at the moment, line tests are showing that the router is out of sync at present. 

Here's an overview of connection logs for the past 7 days. Do the drops coincide when when the scaffold was put up?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Jameseh
Hooked

Thanks Adam,

I believe the scaffolding was maybe a few days earlier then those major dropouts in that image.

I have a spare VDSL router, filter and cable at work which i'll take home and try tonight just to rule out anything inside.

If no joy, i guess it will have to be an openreach visit, access to the back where the phoneline goes in could be a little tricky as its through their property not ours.

Many thanks,

James

Jameseh
Hooked

Hi guys, another update. The scaffolding came down yesterday and connection has returned... Smiley

Line stats are low, can I be a pain and ask for a line test now the scaffolding is removed? Will it show if any DLM banding is in place as I'm guessing that's what's causing the low speed now?

Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2
Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 16290 7895
Max Rate (Kbps) 15395 28936
SNR Margin (dB) 4.6 21.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.1 26.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Many thanks,

James
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Jameseh,

I've tested your line today and I'm afraid that the line tests are still failing, with the Download Sync Speed being reported at 7.9Mbps, though as far as I can tell this doesn't appear to be down to the line being banded and could be due to a physical issue.

As this is the case we'll need to look at booking an engineer appointment to progress the fault further and to do this we'll need you to respond to the open ticket on your account with 3 timeslots in the near future that you'll be able to attend an engineer visit.

This can be done by clicking here.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and hopefully the engineer can get down to the bottom of what's caused this issue when they fix the fault.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team