cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile suddenly halved

wibblyw
Dabbler

IP profile suddenly halved

My IP profile according to BT Wholesale test has suddenly dropped to 37.37Mbps. It used to be in the high 60's and I could get that that kind of download speed. I have escalated to Plusnet support, but they will not escalate to BT without Plusnet faults team checking it out which may take a week. Plusnet support claimed they can't see BT Wholesale test result anyway.

Is there any way this can be escalated? If the IP profile has suddenly halved, is this not by definition a line problem between the exchange and modem that BT Wholesale will have to deal with, and I'm not at risk of a £60 no fault found problem? 

Question ID in my account is 194977168

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: IP profile suddenly halved

@wibblyw 

Have you done these basic fault finding tests to make sure that the problem is not on your premises?

1. Remove the front off the BT Master socket to expose the test socket.

2. Plug a wired telephone in here and do a quiet line test by dialling 17070 then option 2. If there's any background noise then report a phone fault.

3. Plug a filter in to the test socket and connect this to your router. With a computer connected to the router via an Ethernet cable complete the BT speed test. http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ If this is showing your speed is low then go on and complete the further diagnostics to record the results then report a broadband fault.

Unless there has been a very recent unreported change then if you have completed the BT further diagnostics then Plusnet can see the results regardless of what you have been advised.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wibblyw
Dabbler

LIne is quiet. IP profile now showing a more respectable 65+Mbps, but download speed still bad. Not sure what's going on and why IP Profile is changing so rapidly. It was at 37 earlier today!

Capture.JPG

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

It is now worth trying a single router disconnect, leave it a minute then reconnect to see if that picks up a higher speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wibblyw
Dabbler

Already done that. Router is separate from (external) modem anyway - my understanding is that router disconnect/reboots don't look like a line down to the exchange if the modems still connected, right? Modem was disconnected/reconnected once when I did the above test.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wibblyw,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this issue with your connection. I've tested your line this afternoon and I can see that there's a potential fault, though we don't know the location. I can see this has been raised to our Faults Team to pick up, however we may be able to speed up the investigation process somewhat, though I would like to just double check that the internal checks have all been tried first. For example have you set your router up in the test socket and followed our troubleshooting guide? For reference, these can be found here and here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wibblyw
Dabbler

Yes, the router's modem is the only thing plugged in the master socket currently. The master socket in my case has the modem plugged in on a separate socket above the phone socket {which has nothing plugged into it).
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

A similar thing happened to my connection yesterday - I’ve started a thread too. When the staff suggested that there’s a line fault I wasn’t surprised as we’re a rural line which is poor quality. But it’s an odd coincidence?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @wibblyw,

I've checked over your account and provided a further response over a support ticket for you here.

Thanks.