Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile reset question

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

IP profile reset question

After some 4 weeks of phone and broadband problems due to interference and  noise on the line , Openreach have now located and fixed the line fault . A noisy line and constant broadand conenction drops,  my connection speed  dropped with DLM to under 1Mbs on a VDSL connection. (I used to get 3Mbps on ADSL on a 5.65 Km long line ) Today the engineers established a headline sync speed of 21Mbps, a fact replicated by running the BT Advanced Performance test. But I am still connecting at only a tad over 1.Mbps .

Will DLM automatically raise the speed?

(The IP profile for the line is 17,5 Mbps as shown below.)

Is there anything I should do?

Prior to the fault the best speed I ever had on VDSL was 10.5 Mbps which was quite acceptable but a boost to near 17Mbps would be fantastic.

Thanks in adavance ..

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.07 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12.29 Mbps-17.56 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 17.56 Mbps

7 REPLIES 7
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Re: IP profile reset question

Update Saturday - there is still some noise & crackle on the line aven after the most comprehensive recabling by BTOR yesterday so no need to jump in with suggestions of have I done this or that test!!

Downlad speed has risen slightly but is still very slow at 1.4Mbps.

The remaining noise may be why DLM is still keeping the download speed low instead of near the actual sync rate of 20 Mbps - plus. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @runhare and apologies for the delayed response.

I've retested the line and I can see that it's dropping quite badly as shown below

I think we'll need to arrange another engineer visit to investigate this further.

I've taken personal ownership of this moving forward and if you can let me know once you've responded I'll get a visit booked in

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew,

The engineers who were here on Friday last week did a great job in good weather and recabled a section of overhead line, about 150 metres long between the house before it joins the main cable to the exchange. So that section is brand new and error free.  They also detected other faults elsewhere on the line which are generating noise (and probably causing the router to drop the sync)  They thought these were further away down the line and perhaps an entire section of about 300 m would need to be replaced, basiclaly the next section after the new cable and maybe more. They said they would come on a  fine day to do this with a team as the line crosses very steep ground and a stream. We did see the engineers again last Sunday working on a nearby pole but they did not call in to say what they were doing . After that downlaod speed really improved up to 15Mbps before starting to drop again when it rained and got windy . Last night was a good example but things have settled down this morning .

WE WOULD WELCOME A FURTHER ENGINNEER VISIT TO SOLVE THIS BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH ALLOWING ENGINEER ACCESS TO THE HOUSE BECAUSE WE ARE SELF ISOLATING AS I HAVE JUST BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE A SERIOUS ILLNESS AND WILL REQUIRE SESSIONS OF INTENSIVE HOSPITAL TREATMENT.

Whats the policy on this as in principle the engineers would not need to enter the house to complete any further checks. Most of their fault finding was done last week by tracing the brodband sync speed at various locations between the house and  known good points near the VDSL cabinet and not by the standard phone line resistance method. For examaple, the sync speed at a known good point 300 metres away was up to 25Mbps but at our house it was only 1Mbps so they could tell there was a serious  line fault  in the section between the house and the known good point 300 to 350 m away. Which they then improved by replacing the cable immediate to the house.

Many thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @runhare.

Openreach do have procedures in place due to these events such as completing all work outside the property, and to test to the final point in the network.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

sooo..  does that still apply even in these difficult circumsatnces?
BTOR know the circiuit  to the house is good as they tested it fully before linking it to the rest of the network .

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm afraid we've received more guidance now and we can't book engineers to visit your property whilst your isolating.

If our tests were showing a external fault then we could progress this but as our tests aren't showing this at the moment we'll need to most likely hang fire

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

replied to your ticket .

I am pleased to see that BTOR have responded approriately to the advice on the COVID -19 crisis.