cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile reduced after connecting with 3rd party router

BobRock
Dabbler

IP profile reduced after connecting with 3rd party router

Hi all, I am on day 15 of my Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. I have been using the supplied Plusnet router and apart from the occasional dropout, which I expected while the line settled, everything was fine.  Yesterday I received the 14-day email stating:

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: 62 - 72Mb
Upload: 17 - 18Mb
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 66.2Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 57Mb
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

Pretty good, except that yesterday I also noticed a lot of line disconnections going on, eventually dropping down to around 50Mbps sync. 

Previously I had been with TalkTalk on their Sagemcom F@st 5364 router, which was rock solid I have to say and consistently synced at around 70Mbps.  Reading through some of the forum topics, it would seem that the Plusnet Hub One is not the most reliable of products so I decided to see if I could get the TalkTalk router up and running.  It would sync the line and allow me to enter Plusnet username and password, but for whatever reason wouldn't connect.  I guess TalkTalk have locked it to prevent such an occurance and I half expected this.  Unfortunately, upon connecting the TalkTalk router, the IP profile further dropped to less than 20Mbps.

At this point I plugged the Plusnet hub back in and it is back up and running, but the low IP profile remains.  As a further test, I have connected with my trusty old TP-Link TD-W9970 instead, which is currently showing a downstream sync of 23.5Mbps.

Is it possible to reset my IP profile so I can get the speeds I know my line is capable of?  Didn't experience any issues with the line in two years of TalkTalk service.

10 REPLIES 10
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: IP profile reduced after connecting with 3rd party router

Hi @BobRock,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your connection. It does look like there has been a period of drops recently. In the first instance can you leave the router you're currently using in and powered up, don't swap it out, as doing so is only going to make things worse at this point - more drops = lower sync as DLM will likely to be kicking in at this point. 

I'm afraid a reset isn't going to work in this instance, mainly because the actually line profile is correct for the product you're on: 

0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

So I'm afraid there's technically nothing to reset as such, but when testing the line there does appear to be a potential external fault, which is likely the cause of the initial drops that were occurring. I've raised that for investigation so we can try and get it resolved for you ASAP. It's worth noting that some external faults now require appointed visits (where the engineer needs access to the premises and we have to book a visit with you). Some are still actual external visits where they just go to the cab/DP/exchange. We'll let you know once we know so we can progress it with you. 

BobRock
Dabbler

Hi Joe

Many thanks for your assistance and detailed reply.

Surprising to hear there may be a potential external fault on the line. 

I'll await contact from you for the next steps.  Will leave the router connected.

BobRock
Dabbler

Any update on this please?  Line speed is still showing around 21Mbps.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just sent an update to the fault here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=198254063 please reply back to this thread when you've responded. - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BobRock
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, I'll take the slot tomorrow morning if it's still available? Sorry I am at work and can't answer phone.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, no worries. That slot has gone now unfortunately but I've been able to book the PM slot for you instead. I've updated the ticket to confirm, please let me know if that's an issue and we'll get it rearranged for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BobRock
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, that actually works out much better for me.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That's good to see! No problem, we'll do our best to check in with you as soon as we can after the visit has taken place. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BobRock
Dabbler

Sorry to be a pain guys, but my husband has this afternoon tried a brand new RJ-11 cable and microfilter - it is now syncing at 69Mbps downstream and 20Mbps up and seems stable so far.

Do you think we still need an engineer visit?  We are concious of there being a charge if the problem is on our side.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, I'm glad to see that. Unfortunately it's too short notice to cancel the visit now so just to set an expectation with you a charge would be likely. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team