Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile not correct

Temple1970
Dabbler

IP profile not correct

Hi

My modem stats show I have an 80/17 sync speed with the DSLAM and tech support state my profile is set to 80 20. The latter is consistent with the profile stated on my DSL stats.

When I complete a BT wholesale line and DSL check both systems state my IP profile is set at 70.41Mbps. 

I've talked several times now with tech support who state there is no problem with my connection however my throughput on all speed test sites from a wire connection is 60 to 65Mbps. 

Has anyone managed to get BT IP profiles rest and if so what is the specific reset required? As I understand it from reading different forums on the net FTTC IP profiles should be 96.8% of the sync of the modem with the DSLAM. My sync is 79998 therefore.

79998/100 x 96.8 = 77.43Mbps.

Although I'm only 7Mbps down surely the circuit should be working at it's full potential.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

20 REPLIES 20
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: IP profile not correct

Hi, from the limited stats available from the fritz, the Ginp is 64 so you will be on a retransmit High dlm profile , this has a different Bras IP profile i believe 91-92 % of the sync rate not the 96.4% , I'm seeing a very similar issue to yourself Though i'm with a different ISP My sync is 79999kbps the BT Bras IP profile my ISP is getting is 70.39mbps and a reported sync rate of 72.72mbps which is incorrect as a result my throughput is 67-8mbps when i believe it should be around 72-3mbps, My isp have been in contract with BT they have apparently re configured the cvlan for an 80mbps sync, of course this has had no effect because it has nothing to do with the cvlan it's the BT BRAS which is a server that is supplying incorrect values and not updating ,The FTTC GEA service test (KBD) shows a figure of 76.6mbps which i feel my isp are incorrectly interpreting as the sync speed I have read that to fix this BTWHOLESALE need to re build the connection profile from scratch to generate the correct BRAS IP profile
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Temple1970

You've got some connection drops on your line that are likely to be intermittently affecting your speed and the profile that is being reported via the speed test sites, as per your fault ticket here.

Could you please confirm that you're connected to the test socket of your premises?

If the drops continue, it is likely that we'd need to arrange an engineer to take a look at this for you.

Best wishes

Dave

Temple1970
Dabbler

Hello and good afternoon Dave,

Two of connection drops were me attaching the modem to the test socket and rebooting my router at the request of one of the Plusnet assistants. This was completed I believe on the 3rd of November. Prior to that several of my neighbours in the street feed from cabinet 17 in Crawley suffered loss to service. I believe there was possibly an issue on the DSLAM. 

My router rebooted several times during the issue and when the DSL link reestablished the IP session did not connect for over an hour. Same for my neighbours. You can probably view this on your system.

I have attached the stats from my router, as you can see the profile is 80 / 20, I'm synchronised at 80/17 so Plusnet are supplying the correct profile which has supposedly been updates. The DSL connection has been up for 6 days 3 hours and 15 minutes since the last test with Plusnet.

Both BT test systems are reporting a profile of 70.41 so they are restricting the connection.

There's no issue with the loop or router. Router is an AVM 3490 and solid as granite. 

Kind regards

Temple1970
Dabbler

Good info, thanks for the help.

Cheers

Temple1970
Dabbler

Hello again Plusnet / Dave

I replied to your post prior to reading the post from Grafter. Please read below and see if you can request BT complete the following.

'The FTTC GEA service test (KBD) shows a figure of 76.6mbps which i feel my isp are incorrectly interpreting as the sync speed I have read that to fix this BTWHOLESALE need to re build the connection profile from scratch to generate the correct BRAS IP profile'

Kind regards

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Temple1970,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can see a colleague in our technical support team has picked up and passed it along to our faults team for further investigation as per this ticket here.

Thanks.

Temple1970
Dabbler

Indeed they have.

My connection dropped for 15 minutes yesterday during torrential rain.

My stats showed  805 severely errored second within the space of 15 minutes. 

Strangely my parents are feed from the same cabinet, they are on Sky and their BB also has a similar issue.

No noise on the line but BB fails during bad weather. 

Maybe the cabinet is leaking!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

I can see that our faults team have booked an engineer and this is something they will be able to see when they investigate the drops.

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Temple1970
Dabbler

BT have been out and remade all the joints externally. They also checked my internal wiring and found no faults which I expected.

I have purchased a new router (Fritbox7590) old one was stable (in fact 2) but were Fritzbox 3490 which had very slow processors and didn't work well as a NAS.

Line stats are brilliant, 87 / 17 attainable synchronised with the DSLAM at 79999 / 17525 as were the two 3490's. DLM working correctly, SNR margin downstream fluctuating between 4 and 5 db. Up stream at 6.

IP profile on BT still not correct. Yesterdays test showed a profile of 20Mbps! tosh!

BTWHOLESALE need to re build the connection profile from scratch to generate the correct BRAS IP profile'

Ahhhhh!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Temple1970, I am glad to hear of the improvement since connecting your new router Smiley

The sync speed is looking fine and the connection stable but please do just get back to us if you have any further issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Temple1970
Dabbler

I think you may no have misunderstood my post. There has never been an issue with the synchronisation speed of my Fritzbox.

After BT completing work and me replacing my router I'm in exactly the same place.

The IP profile reported by BT is incorrect, one minute it reports 20 / 20 the next 70.41 / 20

As Plusnet are supping 80/20 and my line is synchronised at 80/17 I'd expect the BRAS profile to be more towards the top 70's.

As the profiles is being incorrectly reported I believe it needs to be rebuilt. This is exactly what I've asked the faults team to achieve. Instead I'm being as to plug my modem into the test socket.

As my layer one connectivity is almost ideal with an attainable rate of 87 the bottle neck must be between the exchange and DSLAM.

Attached again are my stats, please look at the area circled in green which reads IP profile 20Mb

Please help!

Temple1970
Dabbler

Stats. Showing absolutely no layer 1 connectivity issues.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Temple1970 

I think there's some confusion here. The BRAS/IP profile is not something that we or BT can manually change unless our testing shows a profile mismatch. I've tested your line today and that's not showing to be the case so there isn't anything we can do about this profile I'm afraid. I can also see the current BRAS Profile (CVLAN Rate) is 72.7mbps.

If you're getting a throughput of above 20mbps, then I'd imagine that the profile you're seeing when running a BT speedtest would likely just be reporting an incorrect value and ultimately it'd be a red herring.

It's worth noting that both ourselves and BT have limited to nil tools when it comes to remotely fixing a fibre line and as your throughput is within the Openreach expectations of between 49.2mbps and 71.5mbps I'd doubt that an Openreach engineer would be able to investigate further. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Temple1970
Dabbler

Thank for the update.

Interesting to know BT can't change profiles on their router or switches.

Are the profiles dynamic and if so how often does the DSLAM report synchronisation speed?

Kind regards