cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile dropped to 52.96

zpeterk
Grafter

IP profile dropped to 52.96

Family are complaining about internet speed, laggyness (new word), so I had a quick look at dsl stats which I only run very occasionally, (I am not one for messing with something that is not broken) and it now reports below:-

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 19432 Kbps, Downstream rate = 72588 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 19459 Kbps, Downstream rate = 60000 Kbps
Bearer:    1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:    L0
Mode:            VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:        Profile 17a
TPS-TC:            PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:        U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:        No Defect
Training Status:    Showtime
        Down        Up
SNR (dB):     9.6         6.0
Attn(dB):     19.1         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     13.9         7.5
            VDSL2 framing
            Bearer 0
MSGc:        -6        19
B:        122        239
M:        1        1
T:        0        64
R:        8        14
S:        0.0647        0.3925
L:        16186        5177
😧        8        1
I:        131        127
N:        131        254
Q:        8        0
V:        7        0

Previously the connection speed was always between 70 - 80 depending on the mood of the dlm.

What can be done to improve this?

edit

Forgot to say IP profile as reported by BTW speed checker.

No extension sockets, nothing connected at all apart from HG612 to NTE5

3 REPLIES 3
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: IP profile dropped to 52.96

Hi @zpeterk,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I appreciate your situation and understand the need to ensure your broadband speeds are at their optimal level.

I have run a diagnostic check on your line and can see that you are receiving speeds within the range for your postcode as can be found on dslchecker.bt.com. I'd suggest if you are experiencing lag that you run through a few troubleshooting steps here as well as consider splitting your Wi-Fi frequency to cope with the demand in your household.

Your router will most likely be set to a default 2.4 GHz frequency, which offers a longer range signal at slower speeds. This suits devices further from the router, such as on the higher floors in the house.You can split the frequency to add a faster 5GHz range, with devices closer being better placed to pick up 5Ghz. The device itself should be capable of picking up the Wi-Fi channels, older devices may not and often give no indication that that is the case.

I would suggest moving all your devices to 5GHz by default and leaving the 2.4 GHz frequency clear for those devices furthest from the router.

If you are having issues with your Wi-Fi dropping constantly or not being found by your devices, this may well be down to interference from other routers in the area, you can set the router to a different channel to avoid this. The process is trial and error as if there's interference from other Wi-Fi routers it will depend on what those routers are set to. Routers set at 2.4 Ghz will have 13 channels to choose from, with 5Ghz having fewer channel options. There's further information here on changing your channels, you may need a good Wi-Fi analyser app to see what other router channels to avoid.

If you assume your neighbours have not configured their routers after switching them on, you'll be able to find a frequency within the mid-channel ranges quite quickly.

I hope this helps, do come back to us if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - LF

zpeterk
Grafter

I don't know why wifi came up because all devices concerned are hard wired.

Seeing as the connection speed is nowhere near the max possible and it always used to generally higher than the max possible I am wondering if it has been banded?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@zpeterk,

I've raised a fault on your service because it looks to be breaching the lowest estimated line rate and associated MGAL, this is just so we've got the start of the a speed fault, as part of the code we have up to 30 days to fix this, though it's likely we'll need to issue out an engineer once it's gone through supplier automated testing we'll be able to give a better indication of what the next step is.