cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP camera problems

bonniekins1

IP camera problems

Hi all.
Had my fibre for about a week now. Have had to reinstall my IP camera onto the network following my move from Sky. Now have it working on the network wirelessly and it is sending me emails when it is triggered but I still can't view it from my phone. I have used a No-IP ddns which seems fine but for some reason my phone (using IP cam viewer lite) cannot connect to the hostname or IP. It looks to me like it is being blocked but I can't figure out by what.
Colin
11 REPLIES 11
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: IP camera problems

Have you set up your router to allow the connection? Is it the PN supplied one? If so, it is in the firewall rules section.
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Also, do you have the dns updater? If not, don't forget to manually log in and change it.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you opened the ports used by the camera?
If using the TG582n, use game and application sharing to forward the necessary ports to the camera.
Also check plusnets firewall is disabled in your "members centre".
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Need to renew the ppp session for the change to take affect.
bonniekins1

I have got automatic updater. Think I have opened the ports in the router. The firewall is off. This router is totally different to my last one and all the names for things are different. Getting confused with the game and sharing thing. How can I set the camera to a particular port?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I haven't got that router connected any more, but I had to make a new rule. I wanted my camera on port 81. I first of all made the webcam a static ip, Then create a new rule and call it (in my case) Fishcam.  Allow connections through port 81 and save. Then allocate that rule to your camer's internal ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.101). To view the camera then internal is 192.168.1.101:81. Externally it will be http://youripaddress:81, or your dynamic dns service address.
Not the best explanation, but that is all I can give you without the router to help me.
Mark
bonniekins1

Thanks Mark.
That sounds like what I've done. Just found a walkthrough on the web and now it all works. All I'm bothered about now is whether I've left my router without a firewall.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I had my webcam working with the router firewall on standard and also with the PN firewall on, so you should be okay.
Mark
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

just out of interest, what IP cams are you using?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I am using one similar to this: http://ebay.eu/16BkiXz.
I've had mine almost 2 years now, so there will be a better upgraded version I would think.
Mark
NedLudd
Grafter

Excuse me for a late arrival but, with the price of a static IP address at only £5 from PN, it makes sense when using an IP camera.
No need for any updating then as your IP address will never change!
I've had an IP camera for years. Its primary use is Security.
I can't help with the router as I use a TP-Link one. I found the supplied one had an awful & confusing interface!
Geoff,
York.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I got lulled into a false sense of security when I had a fixed ip at F9. When I left, none of the other ISP's offered fixed ip's so I had to go DynDNS. They then started charging, so went to no-ip and have got used to the auto updating of the ip address. I don't want to go down the route of a fixed ip again unless I have to, as I could be gone again in 18 months and need my DDNS service again  Smiley (Just my reasoning I hasten to add)
Mark