Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address problem after Technicolor TG582n firmware update

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

IP address problem after Technicolor TG582n firmware update

I'm having an issue trying to reconnect my Freeview/Bluray Recorder to the network. My router (Technicolor TG582n) appears to have updated its firmware very recently and maybe the two are connected. All was working correctly a few days ago and I think it has gone wrong since the router's firmware updated
I'm attaching some photos of the TV screen when accessing the Freeview/Bluray Recorder's network settings. As you will see, it shows as connected but the connection actually fails. A private IP address 169.254.72.187 is allocated and I'm getting nowhere with this. The Freeview/Bluray Recorder's software is up to date. Other devices seem to connect OK. The Recorder was in the router's settings beforehand but only shows an IP address of 0.0.0.0 now. I backed up the configuration and we reset the router back to factory settings but this hasn't helped so I've put the old configuration back in again which is why it shows at all.
I've been in contact with Plusnet this morning and they've tested the router and phone line and say everything is fine and so have basically washed their hands of the problem.
This is really upsetting as the (rather expensive) Freeview/Bluray Recorder acts as a DLNA server to send programmes to other TVs in the house as well as giving me access to other Smart features like Catch-up TV. All this is now rendered useless without a network/internet connection.
Please does anyone know how to reslove this? I'm not very technical so could you please be gentle with me.  Wink
Annie
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: IP address problem after Technicolor TG582n firmware update

Looking at you second graphic (002.jpg) I suggest configuring the following addresses in the Bluray box.
IP address = 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
gateway address 192.168.1.254
Primary dns = 8.8.8.8
secondary dns = 212.159.6.9
I assume you'll need to change "ip address auto-assignment" from on to off to make these changes.
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you so much. That seems to have done the trick. I'd never have known what to input into the fields.
Am I right in thinking that it's better to set a static IP address fairly high up in the list of IPs in the range or does this not really matter? I seem to remember reading something about this ages ago but I may be getting mixed up. There's a device (My PC) currently showing as 192.168.1.103 which has been allocated dynamically.
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I just took a look into the router's settings and noticed the following:
TCP/IPv4 Settings

IPv4 State: Enabled
IPv4 Address: 80.229.217.173
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.10
TCP/IPv6 Settings

IPv6 State: Disabled
Do I have the correct primary and secondary DNS settings as these don't quite correspond to what I've just put into the Bluray box? I'm wondering if they need to be updated and whether this was the cause of my problems.
Annie
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad you've got it working.  Smiley
Am I right in thinking that it's better to set a static IP address fairly high up in the list of IPs in the range or does this not really matter?

The Technicolor router automatically assigns IP addresses (dynamic address) in the range 192.168.1.64 to to 192.168.1.253.
When assigning a static IP address, your self to a device, it's best to avoid the above range. ie use one from the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63.
Do I have the correct primary and secondary DNS settings as these don't quite correspond to what I've just put into the Bluray box?

The dns settings I suggested are primary > google dns, secondary Plusnets dns.
By using two different dns providers things should continue to work if one or the other dns provider has problems.
If you're uncomfortable with that you can change the dns settings to the ones used by your router.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for the explanation. I will leave things as they are as they are working perfectly.
Cheers. Annie
Annie
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Annie,
Quote from: Annie
As you will see, it shows as connected but the connection actually fails. A private IP address 169.254.72.187 is allocated and I'm getting nowhere with this.

For your, and others, future reference it is worth noting that whenever you see a '169.254' address it nearly always means something has gone wrong! Specifically, you only tend to see them if the usual mechanism for allocating addresses (DHCP) fails. In such cases the device often falls back to assigning its own address (from the 169.254 range) but cannot usually then do much with it.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks MJN. It was the 169.254.x.x IP address which alerted me to the fact that I seemed to have an IP problem. Very odd that it should start all of a sudden when it used to be fine but at least the static IP has fixed the problem.
Annie