cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address makes websites think I'm in the USA

mikecro
Hooked

IP address makes websites think I'm in the USA

The IP address I'm currently assigned by Plus.net makes it look to websites like I'm in the USA.

The address is in the range 146.198.110.X and is registered to "Info.net" with offices in El Segundo, USA.

This is stopping me from Banking online, using any geo services such as streaming video and imprtantly for me playing Poker on Pokerstars since online poker in the USA is illegal

This seems to be a recurrence of an issue from a few years ago judging by previous threads,

Any assistance on how to actually change my external IP address?

This is an extract from the "whois" of the IP address....

==============================================

NetRange: 146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255
CIDR: 146.198.0.0/16
NetName: PLUSNET3
NetHandle: NET-146-198-0-0-1
Parent: NET146 (NET-146-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Assignment
OriginAS: AS6871
Organization: INFONET Services Corporation (INFO)
RegDate: 1991-02-28
Updated: 2015-03-12
Ref: https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-198-0-0-1

OrgName: INFONET Services Corporation
OrgId: INFO
Address: 2160 East Grand Avenue
City: El Segundo
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 90245-1022
RegDate:
Updated: 2017-01-28
Ref: https://whois.arin.net/rest/org/INFO

==========================================================

23 REPLIES 23
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: IP address makes websites think I'm in the USA

Getting a static IP address (one off £5 charge) appears the only way to avoid this.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think PlusNet should waive a £5 charge given the circumstances. I assume it is only a quick config change on their system.

The problem is I think companies are more reliant on external IP's and assume what is and isn't UK based. It is not an exact science. I think BBC (iPlayer) and the National Lottery do this too. Worth checking them out, see if they work and raising it with support.

Kelly
Hero

The details are correct, but whoever is providing the service must be using an out of date list, or using the wrong information for the blocking.  Lots more detail on 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

We'll see if we can work out who needs contacting.  Are you seeing any other problems with that IP address?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mikecro
Hooked

Kelly

For starters this has stopped my "Three in Touch" WiFi calling service since it only works in the UK. This means I've no mobile coverage at home.

Pokerstars have had me sign a disclaimer on line to assert I'm playing from the UK. I'd rather play without any shadows over my game.

Bizarrely my Facebook has become intermittent since this recent changeover to the new IP address. Not as important but annoying nevertheless

My Banking on an RBS subsiduary is now unreliable with random geo related security checks and queries on whether I am actually performing transactions or is it a hacking attempt.

Try that for starters if you can fix those then the rest will probably fall into place. I dont think its my place to tell Website service providers to update their IP records - wheres the credibility for me in that?

I've a JPG of a geo location whois service showing El Segundo as my location. Not sure if its safe to post the image here since it shows the full IP address.

Thanks

Kelly
Hero

Which WHOIS service are you using?   

It's likely someone has updated a geolocation database incorrectly and that's been picked up by those services.  We'll take a look.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Why not start the move to IPv6 @Kelly and remove the reliance on 2nd User IPv4 address ranges.  Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

@Alex wrote:

I think PlusNet should waive a £5 charge given the circumstances.

Agreed, even though it's not realy their fault it's others using out of date databases.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@MauriceC  IPv6 will come after new billing system Roll_eyes

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@rongtw wrote:

.... IPv6 will come after new billing system Roll_eyes

Now that is a meritorious piece of optimism.  Funny

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikecro
Hooked

Forget it.

I can;t carry on like this. This issue seems to have been kicking around since 2014 and is unlikely to be fixed satisfactorily.

Since I'm now out of contract I have instead placed an order to switch my broadband to an alternate provider.

If you want feedback,

It was two price rises during the contract period, this IP address issue and a meagre 2Mb/s upload speed that sealed the deal I'm afraid.

npr
Pro

Can't say I blame you, with two out of those three reasons, good luck with your new provider.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us because of this issue Sad

As an ISP, it's unfortunately out of our control that those geolocation databases are incorrect.

All the best with your new provider.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikecro
Hooked

Is it, is it really out of your control?.
So RBS systems, Pokerstars and everyone else has a problem... But not plus net despite that IP address being on record as being at an address in el segundo in california?

How's about something that is in your control? Maybe you could have forced my IP address to renew to a less ambiguous one?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @mikecro,

I've looked in to this and can confirm this has been flagged up with a few geolocation database providers/companies regarding the out of date data they have for some of our IP ranges. Hopefully we won't be waiting long for them to update their records.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet