cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address advice please

winnipeg1823
Grafter

IP address advice please

Every couple of months my download speed drops by around 10 mbps. Then after a few weeks it reverts back to normal. 

The upload speeds always remain unchanged

The speed drops, and increases always coincide with a change in the external IP address.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this happening.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: IP address advice please

@winnipeg1823 

You could pay a fiver for a fixed IP address and hope that it’s a fast one. These come from a different range of addresses.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

winnipeg1823
Grafter

thanks for that.....do I get my money back if its a slow one 😂

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

How are you measuring your speed?  ie.  is it the speed that your router is syncing at, or the speed seen on speedtests.  If it's your sync speed then that wouldn't be anything to do with your IP address.  If it's just on speedtests then maybe.

Your IP address may be a symptom of your issue, rather than the cause.  If your line is dropping enough, then this could cause DLM to reduce your sync speed.  A disconnect/reconnect may also cause your IP address to change, though you may also be given the same one sometimes.

Your assigned IP address doesn't affect your speed directly, though it could be some websites (including some speed test websites) are treating you differently based on the IP address.  For example some speed test sites will suggest which server you use for the test.  I've never paid too much attention to how they determine which server.  If it's done based on the "location" of your IP address, then that might suggest a server on the other side of the world, which may see reduced speeds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

winnipeg1823
Grafter

The same speedtest site, roughly the same time daily, and it's clear over a year that the speeds alter at the same time the IP address changes. It doesn't really affect anything, but clearly something isn't quite right.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Do you notice the slow down in speed, or just what the speedtest site gives you?  Is it the speedtest site that is giving you your IP address?  What speedtest site is it?  Do you see the same on other speedtest sites?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

winnipeg1823
Grafter

I don't notice the change much, I use two sites, each day, same time, both show the drop in speeds, and then the increase, and both show the same IP address