cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile - where has the page to view this gone?

garywood84
Rising Star

IP Profile - where has the page to view this gone?

I think my IP profile at PN is stuck. My sync speed is 66Mbps, but I'm only seeing throughput around 52/54Mb. 

Plusnet staff - please could you review and reset if appropriate?

Also, where has the page gone that allowed you to view the profile in your account? It used to be visible at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate, but that link now takes me to the account homepage. 

11 REPLIES 11
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: IP Profile - where has the page to view this gone?

Plusnet have removed it

The following statement was made on 04/03/19

I looked into this earlier, it appears that we've retired this page in advance of a new page being added in an upcoming release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(the main topic (one of a few) is here)

We've heard nothing to date regarding it's replacement...

edit. I should have added that we can see the profile by carrying out the full test on the BTw speedtester site

( if you need it - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ )

garywood84
Rising Star

Ah, that's annoying. Why retire it until the new version is ready?

Thanks for the tip about the BT Tester; I'll give that a try.
garywood84
Rising Star

@DS 

I've tried using the BT tester, and it does show me a line profile, but isn't this the profile set at the exchange, rather than the rate limit that Plusnet imposes through it's profile?

The page I linked to used to show the profile for your line at Plusnet. This often gets out of sync with the 'exchange' profile. In my case right now, for example, the exchange profile is ~65Mb, but throughput is only about 54Mb. I think that's because Plusnet's profile for my line is lower than 65Mb. Historically, I'd have checked this on the Plusnet website and then raised a ticket for manual intervention at Plusnet to reset the profile. Without the webpage that shows my profile, I can't do that.

DS
Seasoned Champion

There was a bit of a 'debate' when we discovered it was being taken down....

What @MisterW wrote here should answer most of the rest for you.

Plusnet should be able to give you some idea of your profile.

In the last several months there's been a few others whom have noticed a reduction, but why that is is something I can't answer.

garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks @DS.

MisterW's experience in the post you linked to does not reflect my own. Several times in the past, when my line sync speed has increased, I've observed that my actual throughput is lower than it should be. On every occasion, this has been because Plusnet's profile for my line is lower than BT's, and I was able to determine that by looking in my account on the Plusnet portal, and then contacting support to have it corrected.

Fingers crossed the Plusnet staff will see this post, update my profile, and also feed back internally that we need the profile to be visible to end users in the portal again. This level of detail and recognition that not all end users want to simply plug and play that set Plusnet apart. I really hope this isn't a sign of its strategy moving away from that approach.

garywood84
Rising Star

Looking back at previous posts about this, it seems that the Plusnet profile does affect my throughput speed, because I have a static IP address: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IP-Profile-stuck/m-p/1598789#M87129

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @garywood84

I've increased the profile to 66000kbps to match the sync rate you've posted last night, if you do a single disconnect and reconnect of the PPP session you should see an increase in your throughput.

For the vast majority of customers this profile doesn't have any impact, however there are a few it does affect generally they have a static IP and the profile can be occasionally a bit slow to update automatically. Sad

This has been discussed at length Here (the same link that DS has posted) and I'm afraid I'm not confident I could provide any more information than what we've already said there.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem Smiley

Your first paragraph is exactly how it's reported by others. One might assume it was deliberate and they are struggling to cope and thus they apply the brakes a little and it is only those whom spot it and then they release the brakes. A little like how VM do things.

The 'normal' reply from Plusnet is it's the automated systems, but why can a human (staff) manually nudge some of these connections and boom they're back to where they used to be...?

But others may just think it's how the systems operate Smiley

I really can't see Plusnet back pedaling on this. My gut feeling is the replacement will be similar to the one on offer from BT - where you go to a website and it shows the speed from the device to the router and from the router to the internet. (whereas on the old method there wasn't all the bells and whistles).

edit. Ah, due to personal reasons it's taking me a while to compose a reply, thus both of those above were not there when I started.

garywood84
Rising Star

Thank you @Gandalf and @DS.

My speed is now improved downstream, but I'm still only seeing 14Mbps upstream, whereas I used to get 19Mbps. Perhaps it's coincidental, but I recently renewed my contract... 

Any ideas what's going on?

DS
Seasoned Champion

All I can suggest is to give it 2-3 days now you've rebooted the router. Hopefully it'll sort itself out by then....?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @garywood84

@DS is right in that sync speed can take a little while to increase after a profile reset.

If the upload speed doesn't improve within a couple of days, we'd potentially need to raise this to our suppliers, however, there's no guarantee that an engineer visit would be able to identify a fault and/or improve your upload speed - we're happy to try though, just let us know.

Best wishes

Dave