Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile too low

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

IP Profile too low

Hi,

Recently upgraded from fibre to fibre extra. My upload speed has gone up nicely but my dowload speed seems to be capped and won't go above about 42Mbps.

Estimated line speed:
60Mb (This may vary between 44.1Mb and 60.5Mb) - Checked on 2017-09-14 12:02:34
Current line speed:
80 Mb

"speedtest.btwholesale.com

Download speedachieved during the test was - 40.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-44.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 44.73 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.42Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps"

A speedtest shows my IP Profile is still set for a max of 44.73 Mbps.

Could someone please give this a nudge, thank you.

gtowen

8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: IP Profile too low

PlusNet can't do anything about the profile, the BT IP profile is set from your modem sync speed so you need to check that from the router stats and if it is much lower than expected as it appears to be get a fault reported.

gtowen
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid I'm using a TP-Link TD-W8970 router connected to a BT modem so I'm unable to get modem stats.

IIRC when on adsl Plusnet were able to request BT change the IP Profile, is this not so with fibre ?

gtown

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

I have a BT HG612 modem which I have unlocked (quite simple to do just load a different firmware) so can access the stats. If you can't do that you need to get PlusNet to do a GEA test on the line, that will tell them the sync speeds and if they are below your estimates. One of the forum reps may see this thread and do a test for you. The IP profile is automatically set from the sync speed so can not be changed manually.

gtowen
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid  Just took the chance and unlocked the modem, from it's gui results are:

Attainable rate (kbit/s) 45848 16089
SNR margin (dB) 5.9 6.2
Line attenuation (dB) 19.5 0
Output power (dBmV) 6.9 6.8

Line rate (kbit/s) 46818 15833 0 0
CRC errors 777 0 0 0
FEC errors 58 1 0 0
HEC errors 473 0 0 0

I installed Dslstats and looks like I might have a bigger problem than just low speed Sad

I've attached the Bitloading graph which I think shows REIN, so need to try and find the cause Sad

gtowen

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

So you unlocked the modem, usually a spare modem is recommended but you went for it, what could possibly go wrong.Smiley

Just a quick point, the GUI stats are suspect and some may be correct but there are bugs in there, on mine the sync speeds look OK but not sure about the other items. It's best to use a telnet connection to the modem IP address, login then enter "sh" to get the shell prompt. A useful command is xdslcmd info --stats which gives the general line info and historical error stats.

Your sync speed looks poor for the attenuation, if that is the correct attenuation value, does it agree with the Dslstats figure? 

I don't know what to make of the bitloading graph, I have never examined these much, I have a fairly short line on a small cabinet and get full 80/20 sync. It does however look very wrong, the lower tones should give much higher bits per tone, above around tone 250 it looks OK but below that it's very poor. I don't know if that could be REIN or possibly cabling problems causing a bridge tap although I would expect that to affect the higher tones more. Are you connected to the master socket with a filtered faceplate and are there any phone extensions present? Unfortunately no PlusNet staff have responded to your thread today but I should think you could raise a fault and get an engineer out, just don't expect them to know anything about bit loading graphs.Wink

gtowen
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid From Dslstats Stats tab:

DSLAM/MSAN type: IFTN:0xb206 / v0xb206
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 4 hours 3 min 33 sec
Resyncs: 1 (since 15 Sep 2017 14:26:13)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 19.4 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 46319 15714
SNR margin (dB): 6.2 6.2
Power (dBm): 6.9 6.8
Interleave depth: 1 1
INP: 0 0
G.INP: Not enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0001 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0002 0.0000
ES/hour: 20.8 0

I have a master socket with filter plate that I bought and connected myself to the single connection box. I live in a council apartment block and the mainlines are into a distribution box.

gtowen

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The first portion of the bitloading graph, covering the ADSL downstream frequency range, is completely normal. It's due to how the VDSL2 signal from the FTTC cabinet is reduced in power so that it matches the power of the ADSL signals arriving from the exchange at that point. The exact shape of the power cutback depends on the distance between cabinet and exchange.

The sync speed is within the estimate range, so it's unlikely Plusnet will accept a low speed fault.

gtowen
Rising Star

@ejs Thanks for the info. I've only seen bitloading graphs for adsl before so this graph looked wrong, but I will accept your more knowledgeable answer.

Looks like I'll have to accept the fact it is the best speed for my  line, but in all I'm happy with the upload speed which is more important atm.

Thanks everyone for your insights.

gtowen