Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile seems very low compared with router stats....much more than 96.8%

skip

IP Profile seems very low compared with router stats....much more than 96.8%

BTW speed test further stats says....

Download speedachieved during the test was - 56.49 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-58.01 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 58.01 Mbps

My router suggests....

DSL Modulation Type:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 20000 60000
Max Rate (kbps) 22507 69117
SNR Margin (dB) 7.1 8.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 26.5 12.9
Errors (pkts) 0 2

is it my imagination, or am I currently running about 10 meg lower than I should be?

PN site doesnt give an 'estimated' speed for my line. When I first transferred to FTTC I was running at around 65Mb/s, which would fit nicely with 96.8% of the router's declared 'max rate' of 69117 kbps, now I cant get above 56 due to the IP profile being set at 58.01.

I dont think crosstalk is an issue as I was the last of us in the area to connect to a new cabinet & it only serves 10 houses

3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: IP Profile seems very low compared with router stats....much more than 96.8%

Your IP profile is the usual 96.8% of your current line rate, which is the 60000 in those stats. The IP profile is not calculated from the max rate reported by a modem.

Presumably the DLM has applied a banded (capped) rate profile limiting the line rate to 60Mbps. I can't say why the DLM might have done that, but generally it would happen if the line were performing poorly, with frequent disconnections and/or a high error rate.

skip

Re: IP Profile seems very low compared with router stats....much more than 96.8%

yup.....as I said - I'm running at 96.8% of 60,000

I know the IP profile isnt calculated from the max rate reported by the modem......what I'm trying to discover is why its so much lower. I'm connected to a brand new (well, 10 months old) cabinet which was newly fibred from source, and I'm 500m away with 5 houses between us.

In short, I'm questioning whether I have a stuck profile following some drop out months ago

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Yes, BT openreach DLM which has virtually total control of your line has banded ( i.e. fixed) your sync speed to 60 Mbps for some reason, possibly some previous line problem which caused disconnections or errors. It is not easy to get this removed.  Ask PlusNet to see if they can suggest a way forward.