cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile reset request

Fangface666
Hooked

IP Profile reset request

Afternoon, Is it possible to request a reset on my line IP profile as it seems to be stuck at the same value as my old  provider.

I used to get a 60meg connection with them, but just before switching it had dropped to around 41Meg.

I signed up to Unlimited Fibre Extra with a Guaranteed speed of 49.7, but am currently getting around 40.

Looking into things it seems I am synced to the exchange at 43998kbps which equals a 42Meg Line IP Profile 

I've performed a BT speedtest,  the results of which show a DL speed of 40.88 and a line IP Profile of 42.59

I've also gone to the BT Wholesale site to check my lines stats and this also shows a minimum hand back speed of 49, but higher speeds are potentially attainable, so it would apper I'm being limited by my IP Profile.

So can I request a reset, or is this something that will sort itself out over time?

Pics attached.

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: IP Profile reset request

Thanks for your post @Fangface666 and welcome to our Community Forums.
I've arranged for your line to be reset now but it may take up to 3 working days to go through.

Let us know how your speed looks after then. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fangface666
Hooked

Cheers @Gandalf  thanks for the reply, and thanks for the reset, I'll let you know what happens, fingers crossed that is the issue as the evidence seems to point that way , but technology can be a fickle beast. 👍

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Fangface666, aye fingers crossed your speed improves!

@Fangface666 wrote:

but technology can be a fickle beast. ‌‌

That it can be Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fangface666
Hooked

Morning @Gandalf unfortunately my IP profile still remains the same, its not changed since Sunday ( I've tested each morning to see if it had changed/Improved) but upto this morning its not changed.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Fangface666, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear it sounds like there's still a banding on the service. In which case, I've looked into and progressed the fault on your account which can be seen here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=219224339
Feel free to give us a nudge on here after commenting on the ticket and we'll happily pick up and get this progressed further for you. - Benj - Sheffield

Fangface666
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, I have updated ticket with the relevant information. 👍

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming @Fangface666. I can confirm I've picked up and progressed your fault further with my update showing on the fault ticket here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=219224339

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes and if issues look to persist there after.

Fangface666
Hooked

Many thanks for the reply and swift engineer appointment, its appreciated, I will let you know how it goes.

Fangface666
Hooked

Engineer has been, line IP profile has now raised to 50.46Mbps with an actual download speed of 48.16Mbps so it would seem the banding situation has lifted, but he couldn't understand how he was getting a sync rate at my faceplate of around 54mbps on his device, yet the network wouldn't give a speed greater than 48 (highest achieved in house) he even went to cabinet to try different pairs, from what I gathered he was connecting me to "faster" pairs at the cab, but this was not translating to a faster connection my end, in fact the my sync rate dropped with each subsequent connection, so he reconnected me to my original pair and although my speed is better than it was, it is still below the 49.7 minimum guaranteed.
Despite everything else passing with no issue and the line test coming back perfect, something from the cabinet to the faceplate seems to be preventing a faster connection, he said he would put in a report but it warranted further investigation.
Does Plusnet get a copy of that report? and are you the ones to chase up Openreach further investigation?

Cheers Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Ian.

I'm sorry to see your speed's still slow after the engineer visit.

If the engineer's getting 54mbps, the IP profile would be correct at 50.46mbps as this should sit somewhere between 90 to 96% of the sync speed, and in turn your throughput (download speed) is about right at 48mbps. There's basically what's known as overheads of a connection due to the way that the broadband network works.

I agree, as your speed's still below where we'd expect, this does need some digging, but from what I can see the engineer's completed the job as no fault found and the only way for a fault to be passed for further investigation is through an engineer visit as they'd be able to raise it with another engineer if they need support.

I've booked another engineer visit and updated the ticket 219224339 with the appointment details, let me know if there ends up being a better day for you. I've also got in touch with our suppliers helpdesk and they've escalated this with the patch lead to request a senior multiskilled engineer's assigned to the job.

I'll take this on personally for you and I'll follow up after the visit. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fangface666
Hooked

Cheers @Gandalf , the date you've arranged for the next engineers visit is fine with me.

hopefully the further investigation will turn something up and result in a speed boost.

I'll update the ticket, and update again once they've been, thanks again Ian

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for updating the open Ticket on your account @Fangface666

It remains under @Gandalf 's personal ownership, but I've just popped it on hold until the appointment date. Please feel free to give us a shout if you need anything else in the meantime. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Fangface666
Hooked

Just an FYI, the banding has been lifted, so that issue is resolved, but I'm still getting low speeds, I have updated the ticket, but it seems the low speed issue is related to a DSLAM unit in the cabinet, apparently there are two types (different manufacturers) ECI and Huawei and one is providing a better connection than the other, Huawei is performing better but I am on the ECI unit.

Unfortunately its not a simple process of swapping from one to the other, a swap request has been made so we'll see what happens.

Cheers Ian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for the heads up Ian.

Ah we’ll see where it goes. 

I’ll follow things up tomorrow when I’m back 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button