cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile reset needed?

blueflower23

IP Profile reset needed?

A few days ago we were having issues with the wiring in our master socket which caused our internet to become unstable - the master socket has now been replaced but now the internet speed is half of what it should be.

Is it possible that to fix this we just need an IP Profile reset? I went through the usual troubleshooter but a member of staff wanted to send an engineer out. I just want to check if that is absolutely necessary? Thanks

I've attached the performance test. On the Plusnet account page it says 

• Current Line Speed (Download): 40Mbps

However my IP profile is around half of that.

4 REPLIES 4
cOmp
Rising Star

Re: IP Profile reset needed?

Hi,

This is what I have been waiting for since December. I have a Openreach engineer booked for early next week. I will post out come here for you so you will know how to proceed with getting your IP reset. Just asking Plusnet doesn't appear to work. I have had to rant at support who escalated hence agreed to send engineer.
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
blueflower23

Thank you, that would be great if you could. I think perhaps the IP Profile must be reset by an Openreach engineer, but I found this information online:

Your IP profile automatically adjusts, based on the way your line performs, so may be lower than your DSL connection rate to protect your online experience.

I'm hoping it will just adjust itself automatically now the connection is stable. But I'm guessing that wasn't the case for you.

cOmp
Rising Star

Mine is stuck and has been for a few months and remained stuck after being moved to a new fiber line in December.

I'm on an 80/20 package IP profile is set to 67 and throughput it 43. On Plusnet side it apparently shows as correct but BTw side it's 67. Plusnet can't do anything more at their end so an engineer is booked.

What I think happened is when I had a fault Nov / Dec the speed was dropped by DLM to try stablise my line. When the engineer came he found the fault and fixed but did not reset my line and left it at the capped speed that the DLM set to keep it stable.

My line can handle the full 80/20 it has been doing so for many years.

I'm hoping it will be reset next week. I will report back here.
cOmp
Rising Star

Hello blueflower23,

An update for you as agreed.

I received a text from OR a day before the appointment asking me to watch a short video on how to support the engineers during the COVID-19 pandemic and confirm with a reply "VIEWED YES".

I did this and the next day the OR engineer called me to get some background information on what the issue was.

All information given and he said that he will take the connection down and look at the cables and see where the fault could be and once found he will do what ever he could and perform a DLM reset to clear any stuck profiles etc, he did agree since the cabinet is just down road that I should get more than I'm getting.

3 hours later he called back with an update and said he found a pair of corroded cables on the pole and swapped them for a new pair and has performed a DLM reset and it will take 10 days for the DLM to settle and during this time my line will increase and decrease until it finds the right balance between speed and stability.

This is what I got before the engineer did his bit:

DL Speed Test: 45.83Mbps
DL IP Profile: 69.07Mbps
UL Speed Test: 18.74 Mbps
UL IP Profile: 20 Mbps

This is what I got after the engineer did his bit:

DL Speed Test: 50.01Mbps
DL IP Profile: 77.43Mbps
UL Speed Test: 20.75 Mbps
UL IP Profile: 20 Mbps

As you can see it has improved and now I just have to wait 10 days for the DLM to start testing my line and boot DL IP Profile up further and put me on G Fast Path as during fault and DLM reset I have been put on Interleave.

I can attached the speed performance report for anyone who wishes to view them.