cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile question

jwsg
Rising Star

IP Profile question

After being on a 6dB margin for ages it's been sitting closer to 4dB for a month and still stable.

This pushed my sync speed up to 45Mb/s (finally above the guaranteed minimum) but my profile hasn't caught up - it's stuck at 41Mb/s and capping download speeds. 

If the line will take it can I ask for the profile to be set closer to the new line speed?

4 REPLIES 4
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: IP Profile question

It’s normal for the IP profile to sit under the sync speed, generally anywhere between 90 to 96% of the sync speed.

Unfortunately you’ll never have an IP profile that matches the sync as there’s overheads of a connection due to way broadband works

jwsg
Rising Star

Normally the IP profile for a fibre line should be above 96% - and was before - so I'm assuming the DLM is locking it lower due to the margin being 4dB as this is causing an elevated error rate. 

Before I was just below the guaranteed min of 40.2 and always well below the line estimate of 55-76 which neither Plusnet nor BTO ever resolved.

So now the sync is just above the guaranteed min but in practice I'm being constrained by profile - great!

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Unless DLM has enabled retransmission in which case the IP profile sits between 90 to 92%.

ISPs can’t change the DLM settings of a fibre line, only being able to request a DLM request if the sync speed is ‘banded’

If your sync speed’s below the current estimated speed range of your line shown here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com it may be worth raising a fault at faults.plus.net asking for an engineer visit to investigate

Unless you’ve already gone down that path and engineers have said there’s nothing they’d be able to do to improve your speeds further 

If you can also post up a copy of your router stats this should give a better idea if your sync speed’s banded by DLM

jwsg
Rising Star

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

At 6dB my sync sat just below the guaranteed minimum and has always been well below the estimated range.

I have tried in the past to have that investigated - unsuccessfully - so that isnt really what I'm posting about

When the margin dropped recently to 4dB the sync went above the min removing the fault ticket option, but as the profile is now sitting at 91% I'm not getting much actual benefit from the sync speed increase