Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile help

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

IP Profile help

Hello,

Wondering if someone can find some time to have a look at my IP Profile.

I have historically almost always had a sync rate that was at the very high end of 70-74mbps but now my profile is at 63.4 Mbps which coincidently is the minimum guaranteed speed.

Is this a stuck profile or do I have a line problem like noise developing, hoping this a simple stuck profile tbh.

Thanks,

For looking

13 REPLIES 13
Rushncrushem
Dabbler

Re: IP Profile help

Hi just adding a bit of data from the speed test to have a look at.

Not expecting a fast response as I know speed faults are not top of the line right now and understand this.

Thanks for looking 

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

And this is the control panel screen from account showing the expected speed.

Thanks for looking.

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

And this is the the wholesale checker showing what attainable speed should be possible and was until recently.

A bit of good news it looks like FTTP is available as of today and was not showing yesterday...

Thanks for looking. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It is not an IP profile issue, it is more like your synch speed is not high enough.

Have you done the basic trouble shooting  - is your line quiet, dial 17070  option 2?

Have you plugged into the test socket and compared synch and max attainable speeds?

Oh, and FTTP is not available, it is FTTP on Demand an expensive to implement service for business.

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

HI thanks for reply.

I have just tried the quiet line test and seems OK, or as good as my 10+ year old  DECT Panasonic phone has always been in a home full of wifi signals.

I have a MK3 Filtered faceplate and have tried the phone in the master socket and no change on a quiet line test.

I have 1 extension which connects the Phones and is removable from the system entirely and have done this. So now the connection is Master socket at the window Filtered Faceplate with no extension or phone connected and a short 2 meter run of RJ11 to the Router.

The profile is not stuck and does respond as I noticed that when removing the extension the Actual sync attn. dropped a very small amount so DLM is doing its thing.

Will attach latest speed results from test socket

Going to get the router plugged into the test socket but not expecting much difference. I will also swap the RJ11 as I have loads of them but will do each separately to see what helps.

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

My Connection in Plusnet control panel

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

BT Wholesale profile at Master Socket, No change expected though as it looks like a snapshot not a live check of my line.

Thanks for replying btw appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You won't get any immediate changes by doing that.

You need to compare synch and max attainable speeds, which you can get from the router - advanced Help Desk page is the easiest.

Some modems/routers are susceptible to the frequencies used by Dect phones, so best keep that and Microwaves away from the router.

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

I have a Netgear XR500 router that replaced the last asus rt-ac68u I had, and no line stats are shown on these routers that I can find. Could I get these stats from the Open reach modem?

I could try and find the router that came with the connection in 2015, I have it somewhere probably.

Yes agreed DECT frequency is close to the range of 2.4GHz wifi and microwaves etc. but have the base station for DECT phone in another room and mostly use 5GHZ for the devices that support it. I connect to the router at 860mbps on Wifi and 1gbps on ethernet which all tests are run for fault finding.

Thanks for help

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You could it the modem was unlocked, I am guessing it is not!

You could if you were using the PN Hub1 router as well - if you have one, but if it is the old 2704 then no,

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

I just searched my man cave and found 3 routers all for ADSL and even my old Belkin Vision with LCD screen lol but no Plusnet router.

I'm almost sure it was the cheap small one white one with a limited number of ethernet ports and all 100Mbit. That 2704 you referenced rings a bell in my head. Either way, that router is long gone.

No Unlocked Openreach modem but have thought about it before but just never bothered. I doubt SSH or Telnet into modem will help without unlocked/custom Firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I think you have done all you can with what you have. It could be the Openreach modem is starting to fail, or a line problem you can't hear on your Dect phone.

Ideally if one of the helpful PN staff came along and run a GEA and Radius log test it should help show if there is a line problem.

Otherwise you should report a fault, but they are prioritising failures over slower speeds.

Going forward, a cheap corded phone - less than £10, and a modem you can get stats out of will help if you have any future problems. Kitz is a good source of broadband / router/modem knowledge and advice.

Rushncrushem
Dabbler

Agreed.

I have reported the fault and awaiting a GEA and Radius test on the line.

The IP Profile has risen slightly and still plugged into the test socket with no phones whatsoever connected.

Thanks for all the help Mustrum nice to have someone work through all the basic steps as even though I have a good understanding of technical matters with computers and connections it's  good to know I have exhausted all testing steps and not waisting peoples time.

Will leave over night and see what comes in the morning.

Thanks,

Mustrum   😊