cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile has recieved a small drop and download bandwidth is taking random hits, slowing it down

ExtremeZero
Grafter

IP Profile has recieved a small drop and download bandwidth is taking random hits, slowing it down

Capture2.JPG

This is what I'm getting right now for my IP profile which is 5.8Mb on the BT Speedtest & the current line connection within the Plusnet high-speed broadband checker which is around current line speed 5.7 Mb. However the IP profile was at 6.3Mb and the Plusnet HSB checker had it at 6.5Mb previously before the issue appeared.

Capture89849852.JPG

Naturally I just wait and see if it would sync correctly again but it appears that it's still giving me around the same sync speed on the Plusnet Hub, Plusnet Website & BT speedchecker.

Yes the drop may be small but for what I'm doing it's actually starting to get on my nerves when things start buffering when I'm trying to watch something at the same time with friends.

22 REPLIES 22
ExtremeZero
Grafter

Re: IP Profile has recieved a small drop and is starting to become noticeable with what I'm doing.

OK, I've seem to have noticed something which might explain why I'm getting random buffering and stuttering. it appears my download bandwidth is actually taking a noticeable hit. I thought it was just a one-time thing as I got it yesterday but it appears it hammered it again at 11:20PM

Capture33333.JPG

Now I'm not sure what the Plusnet Hub One equivalent for Routerstats is but it would be helpful if it's a timed occurance and I know what software is compatible for the Hub. Anyways, I will just post the stats from the router itself.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ61806167
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:12:36
6. Data rate: 1213 / 5987
7. Maximum data rate: 1213 / 6598
8. Noise margin: 5.3 / 5.7
9. Line attenuation: 18.9 / 42.8
10. Signal attenuation: 18.9 / 34.8
11. Data sent/received: 29.6 MB / 515.2 MB
12. Broadband username: ------
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-NSK3
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-NSK3
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: 90:4d:4a:03:cf:28
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: IP Profile has recieved a small drop and is starting to become noticeable with what I'm doing.

As the Plusnet Hub One is effectively a rebadged BT hub 5A you can use this version of Routerstats...

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Re: IP Profile has recieved a small drop and download bandwidth is taking random hits, slowing it do

Okay after getting the results from monitoring routerstats and checking the time between when the download speed was decent and when it took a dive into a concrete floor. I have concluded.

That I have no idea what the hell is going on. I'm actually stumped as to what could be causing this problem.

First of all, the results from the BT speedtest. This was taken at 3:13PM and the speed is actually at a decent range for what the IP profile was which was at 5.8 instead of it being around 6.5 that it should be to begin with, but hey it wasn't bad for what the recently changed IP profile was.

3:13PM, 8/13/20163:13PM, 8/13/2016

And then things got worse as I did another speedtest after experincing buffering and the same issues again at around 8:21PM and well...

8:21PM, 8/13/20168:21PM, 8/13/20168:21PM, 8/13/20168:21PM, 8/13/2016

Not only was the speed at 2.22 Mbps but the IP profile changed again from 5.8 to 5.56.

Thankfully, thanks to @Browni for suggesting that version of routerstats software, I was able to record and save the activity of the noise margin, data rate, connection speed and line attenuation during the period of the first speedtest at 3:13PM to the second one at 8:21PM and the graphs pretty much state this. The sample rate is 10 seconds and points per page is 720.

First the 3:09pm monitoring graphs

Connection Speed, 3:09PM, 8/13/2016Connection Speed, 3:09PM, 8/13/2016Data Rate, 3:10PM, 8/13/2016Data Rate, 3:10PM, 8/13/2016Line Attenuation, 3:09PM, 8/13/2016Line Attenuation, 3:09PM, 8/13/2016Noise Margin, 3:10PM, 8/13/2016Noise Margin, 3:10PM, 8/13/2016

And now the 8:20PM graphs

Connection Speed, 8:27PM, 8/13/2016Connection Speed, 8:27PM, 8/13/2016Data Rate, 8:25PM, 8/13/2016Data Rate, 8:25PM, 8/13/2016Line Attenuation, 8:28PM, 8/13/2016Line Attenuation, 8:28PM, 8/13/2016Noise Margin, 8:25PM, 8/13/2016Noise Margin, 8:25PM, 8/13/2016

And now for the werid part, nothing seems to have happened during those two time periods. No drops, no spikes. It makes no sense to me. How does the bandwidth fall dramaticly without there being any changes in the noise margin, line attenuation, data rate or the connection speed? And the software appears to be working fine as evidenced in the noise margin & data rate graphs.

I don't get it. The only thing that seems to have changed from time to time is the IP profile and it's confusing the heck out of me as to why.

EDIT:

Okay I switched off and on my router to see if anything noticeable happens and it actually does (No idea why the software didn't pick up on it last time)

Noise Margin, 12:12AM, 9/14/2016Noise Margin, 12:12AM, 9/14/2016Data Rate, 12:12AM, 9/14/2016Data Rate, 12:12AM, 9/14/2016

Connection Speed, 11:25PM, 08/13/2016Connection Speed, 11:25PM, 08/13/2016Line Attenuation, 11:25PM, 08/13/2016Line Attenuation, 11:25PM, 08/13/2016

BT speedtest 11:14PM 08/13/2016BT speedtest 11:14PM 08/13/2016

This is what I was more expecting and once again Noise appears to be the issue. I say again because it's not the first time it's happened.

I no doubt have to get another BT openreach enginner sent right? That makes about four enginners appearing in less then three months over this stupid damn line.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: IP Profile has recieved a small drop and download bandwidth is taking random hits, slowing it do

Hi Extreme0, I can see you are using the Hub One, but are you actually on Fibre? That's a really disappointing speed if you are, but then again you must be as you wouldn't get that Upload speed on your previous 20CN ADSL connection Huh

It's also obvious that the connection issue that you had on ADSL is still there - I was going to reply to your other thread about FTTC to say make sure your line is fixed before going to FTTC Sad I hope you negotiated a good deal with Customer Options before moving onto FTTC, frankly I wouldn't expect to be paying any more than you did for your ADSL Shocked

The speed you are getting is way way below the estimate you posted previously, so I would certainly raise a fault and as it's no better than ADSL I would expect better or have the right to go back to ADSL without penalty.

I was convinced during your ADSL fault that when they installed the FTTC Cabinet they had disrupted your line and there is a bad joint/fault there somewhere because on your last data that you posted on that, the line did not seem to have recovered the speed it previously had. Are you still paying Line Rental to BT? What investigations (if any) have OR done on your line since the ADSL posts?

Edit: forgot to ask, any idea why the odd date on the two SNRM graphs showing the noise?

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Hi Extreme0, I can see you are using the Hub One, but are you actually on Fibre? That's a really disappointing speed if you are, but then again you must be as you wouldn't get that Upload speed on your previous 20CN ADSL connection

I am till the end of the month as I have no choice but to move back to ADSL over much fighting both at home and dealing with Plusnet.

It's also obvious that the connection issue that you had on ADSL is still there - I was going to reply to your other thread about FTTC to say make sure your line is fixed before going to FTTC Sad I hope you negotiated a good deal with Customer Options before moving onto FTTC, frankly I wouldn't expect to be paying any more than you did for your ADSL Shocked

Well that's the thing. It was actually working fine for a while till recently it started happening again. I swear this line has caused many problems nonstop that it's better to replace it with actual fiber instead of a copper line that seems to malfuction all the time. I've had over four BT openreach enginners come and go over this in less then six months.

And you have no idea how much I have tried to get it reduced to a reasonable price. They still didn't budge after four five calls, two which the call just dropped before I could get to appropriate helpdesk, one where I had a someone that hadn't a clue over the fact that I wasn't in a contract and gave a awful offer in a snide tone and another one where my phone died admist waiting for someone. And because I actually still live with my family because of the many issues I've been facing. I can't really do much over the phone because it goes through directly to the account holder which is someone else in my family, someone who's already dealing with a workload of stuff and gets stressed easily.

The speed you are getting is way way below the estimate you posted previously, so I would certainly raise a fault and as it's no better than ADSL I would expect better or have the right to go back to ADSL without penalty.

The reason why my speed is at way below average is because of the distance between my house and the cabinet after a BT openreach enginner came.

Because my upload speed is better, I am at least able to do stream things like on Twitch and upload various stuff faster then it was. So I tried to be reasonable and get a reduced price on fiber because while the download speed is way far too low for FTTC that the estimated speed predicted. I was getting a better upload rate.

Now unfortunately because I am moving back to ADSL due to my family just giving up, The answer I got said they would uncap the upload speed once I'm on ADSL. But I naturally believe that's only uncapping it to what I can get in ADSL which I believe would be 448 Kbps so it's once again pointless to do things that I was hoping to actually do.

I was convinced during your ADSL fault that when they installed the FTTC Cabinet they had disrupted your line and there is a bad joint/fault there somewhere because on your last data that you posted on that, the line did not seem to have recovered the speed it previously had. Are you still paying Line Rental to BT? What investigations (if any) have OR done on your line since the ADSL posts?

The only thing I can think of that might of affected it again is this Issue I had when I moved to FTTC over the estimated speeds (which brought in another BT openreach enginner.) However, even if that was the case I wasn't experiencing any issues with the download rate till just a few days ago.

Before I moved to FTTC, we were paying £9.99 a month for ADSL and now that I'm forced to switch back to ADSL again, it's £9.99 for 12 months before it becomes £17.49 a month which I imagine is due to line rental in a Market 1 area.

Edit: forgot to ask, any idea why the odd date on the two SNRM graphs showing the noise?

By odd date, you mean the way that I put the date? It was because I forgot to switch the date configuration in Windows 10 to the UK date system.

If you mean the differences between the two times with the graphs, I have no idea though I did notice just now that the data rate is always 0 for the downstream on routerstats regardless. Again no idea as to why.

Noise Margin, 12:09AM, 15/08/2016Noise Margin, 12:09AM, 15/08/2016Data Rate, 12:09AM, 15/08/2016Data Rate, 12:09AM, 15/08/201612:36AM, 15/8/201612:36AM, 15/8/2016

I have no idea what's happening. My download rate was horrible reaching to 1-2Mbps for a few hours before I rebooted the router to test out a theory I had with routerstats (turned out false) and now it's back to an actual decent speed with the IP profile in the actual setting that it should be at.

I am so confused.

Anotherone
Champion

I'm wondering if the varying throughput speeds you are seeing is due to congestion. Is it only occurring at peak times? The maximum achievable is obviously down to the line conditions. Is your line rental still with BT because that makes things a bit more tricky (as you know)? I'm going to drop you a PM.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

By line rental, do you mean my phone provider? Because I just moved to Plusnet with the phone.

And maybe it is occurring at peak times. I will check every hour from now on after I wake up and see if things are inconsistant as right now the speed is still at 6Mbps which it should be.

ExtremeZero2
Hooked

OK, yesturday was a busy day for me so I wasn't able to get a full hour by hour basis on the BT speedtests but I was able to find out that my speed went down during somewhere along 6:30PM to 9PM. I'm going to be busy again today as I won't be back till 9PM.

And this is an alt account because of an issue I'm facing in my main account which has already been posted on another part of the forum.

3PM 15/8/063PM 15/8/065:30PM 15/8/065:30PM 15/8/066:20PM 15/8/066:20PM 15/8/069:10PM 15/8/069:10PM 15/8/0610:45AM 16/8/0610:45AM 16/8/06

ExtremeZero2
Hooked

Okay, I think I've managed to pinpoint when the problem occures as evidenced by the BT speedtests I've done almost every hour.

2:30PM2:30PM3:30PM3:30PM4:35PM4:35PM5:23PM5:23PM6:50PM6:50PM7:00PM7:00PM8:15PM8:15PM9:45PM9:45PM10:58PM10:58PM11:29PM11:29PM

12:12AM12:12AM

Everything is fine up and till 6:50PM which is when the problem starts and after that it gets worse till around 11:29PM where it's at the middle ground and then goes back to normal at 12:12AM.

From what I can gather from yesturday and today. The problem starts and stays around 6:30PM till 12:00AM. So at the very least It's an indication it's not entirely random when it starts and finishes.

Anotherone
Champion

Well you done a brilliant job there of proving yet another case of congestion at peak times. But the thing I have also noticed which has been constant throughout is the poor upload throughput speed that is also being achieved.

Frankly I'm not surprised that with this poor performance you are getting you want to move back to ADSL

So it's no wonder you were also confused about your IP Profile being updated but I'm also beginning to wonder whether there has been some blunder somewhere, maybe in the Openreach system but I really can't believe that their estimates would be that wildly out

Frankly, I believe that most of these problems are related to the original line issues that you had when Openreach's contractors started installing the FTTC equipment at your exchange, your ADSL connection never recovered to the full spe...

My suspicion is that your line problem is related to the cable modifications that were made at that time, and there's either a poor joint or maybe at some point the two wires you are connected to somewhere in that cable change are not a proper (twisted) pair. Whichever, you are never going to get the good performance you originally had on ADSL or a better performance on Fibre until that is resolved.

Apart from looking at all the provisioning problems (and probably the deal you were originally offered and the most recent offer) this needs to be looked at closely by someone who understands the issues. I think I know a man that might @Darkfire and I know he likes a challenge Wink
I also think they really need to get an SFI engineer out to thoroughly go over your line right from the exchange right upto where all the cable changes were made near the new Cab and check you are on proper cable pairs and all the joints are good. I do not believe a thorough job like that has been done, merely the standard checks with the usual NFF.

PS. for anyone reading Extreme0/ExtremeZero2 are the same person, problems logging into the original account at present.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

but I really can't believe that their estimates would be that wildly out

If that was the case then surely I would of had a noticeable better performance on Fiber as well as a better IP Profile when I resetted the router in off-peak hours? As the performance of the Fiber in off-peak hours is the same as it was on ADSL, I thought it was because of the distance between the cabinet and my house was the reason why the estimate was of.

(The estimated straight line length between me and the cabinet was 1.84km, however I say that around 1.95km-2.00km is more accurate as the telephone polls don't go through the fields and instead follow the main road which my house is a 0.6-0.9km away from the main road.)

Anotherone
Champion

All the "estimates" are correct for a line of that length. You were getting 8128kbps on ADSL before they started the work. You should still have got 8128 after the work.
You should be getting ~20Mbps on Fibre.

There is something wrong with your line or the way it's connected (possible split pair) or what it's connected to, that only an SFI properly instructed by Plusnet is going to resolve IMHO.

I blame Openreach or it's contractors that did the initial installation work - Morrison Utility Services wasn't it?

ExtremeZero
Grafter

You were getting 8128kbps on ADSL before they started the work. You should still have got 8128 after the work.

8128kbps on ADSL? That's not even possible to a house that is 1.90km from the Exchange.

You should be getting ~20Mbps on Fibre

Even if the issue is fixed. I'm not going to take a gamble in moving back to fiber without knowing that the speed is significantly better before I change package again and the only way that's going to be proven is to have at least a couple/few days on fiber as a trial period to make sure that it's worth jumping back to a fiber package again.

Morrison Utility Services wasn't it?

Yep.

Anotherone
Champion

@ExtremeZero wrote:
8128kbps on ADSL? That's not even possible to a house that is 1.90km from the Exchange.

Oh yes it is, but note that is sync speed, not profile which would be 7.15Mbps.
There are several points here

1. If you use the Kitz checker and put 29dB into it you will see it gives a line length of 2.1km (ie greater than your 1.9km) and the 20CN sync speed is 8128kbps
  2. The ADSL attenuation reported for your line varied significantly depending on which modem/router was in use, however note that these were after your line had been disturbed by the exchange work. The one giving higher attenuation also gave higher speed Crazy2
  3. The line tests carried out by Chris Parr showed that there was a copper fault in the network.
  4. The Tests carried out by BT Retail (your then line provider) showed a copper fault in the network.
  5. Yet the engineer the turned up first said there was no fault (line fine) Roll_eyes and your speed was no better after his visit.
  6. Subsequent to the engineer visit, you (and your neighbours) had problems and noise on the line.
  7. Even from the engineers visit on FTTC it appears he gave you some BS claiming ".. it is because of the distance between the cabinet and my house and that the estimated speeds don't take that into account".
    Of course estimates take that into account otherwise everyone's estimates would be the same Roll_eyes  In the notes that Plusnet got he claimed you were 2.5km from the PCP Oh, so your line has suddenly got somewhat longer ......... or there's a problem with it somewhere. Even IF that were correct you should still be getting over 10Mbps on FTTC Huh (See this graph)
  8. One thing that I could have thought of - prompted by the output from the Kitz Broadband Availability checker when you used it, was to make sure that there wasn't anything else connected to your line. Openreach should obviously be aware of things like DACS etc. - your broadband wouldn't work at all if there was one, but I'm thinking more along the lines of RF3 filters etc. This sort of thing may not get picked up with "standard" line tests unless an engineer was prompted to check.
  9. It's also worth pointing out that the standard JDSU that the engineers are given is not very clever at picking up high resistance (HR) joints unless they are somewhat obvious!
  10. BUT the real icing on the cake is in the test results posted by Chris Parr -
    Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 8128
    that clearly means that on ADSL your line had been syncing at 8128 and it did not drop once below that certainly during the 10 day training period.

All-in-all, the evidence indicates there is something significantly wrong with your line. If it's not bad joints, split pair, filters that shouldn't be there etc, it may just be seriously degraded. As previously mentioned, it needs a proper check - going over it with a fine tooth-comb, not just the basic checks it's had so far. If it's just seriously degraded, then they should be trying you on another pair!

@ExtremeZero wrote:

You should be getting ~20Mbps on Fibre

.....I'm not going to take a gamble in moving back to fiber without knowing that the speed is significantly better before I change package again

You should not have to take any gambles whatsoever, it is entirely down to Plusnet to get this thoroughly checked out and resolved properly.