cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile and slow linespeed

JohnFol1
Grafter

IP Profile and slow linespeed

Morning all, I'm struggling to get my 76Mbps service above 50 mbps so I had a look on the BT web site and it suggests for my property I should expect a "Download Speed: 59Mb-80Mb"

So based on this I can see why Plus Net are able to offer the Infinity 2 package as that's the information from BT Infinity, however I had a play with the BT Wholesale test tool and can see there is an IP profile originally set for 51.3Mb. It's now been increased to this:

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-56.69 Mbps .

IP Profile for your line is - 56.69 Mbps

Even so, an acceptable speed of 40 Mbps is a big difference from the "59-80" quoted for BT Infinity 2. This is the description from BT

"IP profile rate (Mbps) – To ensure your line doesn’t receive more data than it can cope with; we set a parameter within our network called IP Profile. This profile will be slightly less than the DSL connection rate negotiated by your router. If this wasn’t set we may try to transmit more data to you than your broadband circuit can managed and this would end up having a negative effect on your broadband speed."

I mentioned "initial" IP Profile as after a call to Plus Net this did go up, but surely a modern router would be able to negotiate speeds in excess of 56 Mbps?

Any thoughts, help appreciated

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: IP Profile and slow linespeed

Hi there, 

I've just tested your line and speeds are showing to be below estimates. 

I'd try connecting into the test socket next to see if speeds differ when connected that way https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnFol1
Grafter

Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll need to borrow a laptop as the router is on top of a unit!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem, do keep us posted!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnFol1
Grafter

I just got the 14 day letter from Plus Net saying 

Current line speed: 78Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.

Not sure I agree or on what basis this is sent since BT are still showing 

"Max Achievable Speed 57.59 Mbps"

I still need to follow the steps that have been suggested, but need to "flag" this to PlusNet as the email is from a no-reply mailbox

JohnFol1
Grafter

ok, managed to remove the front plates and connect a filter so I now have just this -

Bt Test Socket and ADSL Filter.jpg

BT tests show 312Mbps - BT Wholesale Performance Test2.jpgBT Wholesale Performance Test 2.jpg

(FYI I registered an interest in FTTP and the jump in line speed seems to have coincided with the inquiry even though a new line has not be provisioned)

Plus Net hub shows no difference at 59.4 (previously 59.5)

PlusNet Hub 1.JPG

Ookla's Speed test shows 55.73

Speedtest dot Net.JPG

So I'm really struggling to see where to go next. Any Ideas?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The stats under the Troubleshooting->Helpdesk are a lot more informative.
JohnFol1
Grafter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

From what I can see your line is performing within expectations at a sync rate of 61mbps.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 58.7 20 19

I doubt there's much more you or we can do to improve this I'm afraid.

Your speeds are likely at the bottom end of the estimates due to the length and quality of the line. There might also be cross-talk at your cabinet which is interference from other connections.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JohnFol1
Grafter

I think you mat be right, but before I close down this thread I'd like to share a small change and ask one final question.

I traced the master socket back to the BT box on the external wall, cleaned out all the spider webs and resealed it. I then had a look at the wiring on the back of the master socket and spotted the blue/white wires were A and B respectively. All diagrams I could find had these the opposite way round, i.e. White to A and Blue (or Orange) to B.

Swapped them over and it's had a positive affect. 

The TP cable within the house was put in 35 years ago, and has no shielding. It's about 12m from entering the house to the master socket and passes up the back of a cupboard housing an upright freezer. So my final thought is to replace this with some spare Cat6 cable I have and to route it away from the freezer. I know there is no way of predicting the affect this might or might not have, but for the sake of an hour or so of free effort it's probably worth trying.

(I think I answered my own question there)

Many thanks for the support, guidance and honesty in terms of what is reasonable to expect.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems at all. Might be worth giving it a go.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet