Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile and Provisioning

scottrc
Rising Star

IP Profile and Provisioning

Hi,

I did a re-sync a while ago and got 77mb down in the router stats. The BT wholesale IP profile seems to be sitting at 10% of whatever speed I am currently getting. 

I recently changed package, well it was a bit of a mess because, I downgraded and then upgraded again due to an offer I was given.

From what I know, the previsioning set on the account can affect the way the IP Profile behaves in terms of percentages. I am currently on FTTC unlimited extra but have the following message in my account:

"Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
New Action 21CN Modify Submitted added
(via ADSL2+ Order System Interface)"

According to the Kitz website:

"21CN System - For ADSL2+ / WBC Products (Up to 24Mbps ADSL)

With effect from late 2011, BT introduced a new Quantisation DLM system that results in much quicker updating of the IP profile. The calculation is based on your last sync speed minus an allowance for TCP & ATM overheads. The calculation should always be a fixed rate at 88.2% of your sync speed.

NGA System - For FTTC / VDSL / Fibre / Infinity 

Uses the Quantisation System that should dynamically adjust the IP profile at each resync.
The calculation is based upon your current sync speed minus an allowance for TCP overheads.

BT would appear to be using approx 96.8% of the sync speed to calculate the IP profile for the FTTx products.   
Please note that if your DLM profile is set to Retransmission High, then this figure will be nearer 91% to allow for the additional overheads."

I know I have retransmission low from a previous test, so my IP profile should be much higher than the 65-68mb. I re-syned during the day, probably a bad idea and it went down to 75mb down, but that would still mean an IP profile of 72.95 ish.

Could a member of staff please check that I am onn the NGA System - For FTTC / VDSL / Fibre / Infinity provisioning and not the ADSL one. The Plusnet internal question when it was added is Question #182947245.

It's been weeks with the same IP profile %, it only changes when I re-sync, but it's always around 10% or more lower than the sync speed. My hub stats show max 23629 / 77034 current 19999 / 75364 (I have got it to 77 before though in the morning re-sync) and current BT IP profile is 69.51 Mbps. So on any downloads it always limits it to 69.51.

Also one more thing, if I go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it shows Current line speed:
68.4 Mb which is wrong according to the router stats and IP profile?

Thank you

24 REPLIES 24
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: IP Profile and Provisioning

Hi there.

From what I know, the previsioning set on the account can affect the way the IP Profile behaves in terms of percentages. I am currently on FTTC unlimited extra but have the following message in my account:

"Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
New Action 21CN Modify Submitted added
(via ADSL2+ Order System Interface)"

While the Kitz website isn't wrong in its definition of that, this internal note indicates our provisioning system has submitted a modify order to our suppliers, in this case it refers to your upgrade to 80/20.

The fact it says ADSL2+ is irrelevant, as far as I'm aware it'll never say FTTC or VDSL, but it shouldn't matter as it's not a customer facing message. It's just one of the many internal messages the system generates.

Could a member of staff please check that I am onn the NGA System - For FTTC / VDSL / Fibre / Infinity provisioning and not the ADSL one. The Plusnet internal question when it was added is Question #182947245.

Yep you're definitely on fibre as shown by the test results below.

If you were on ADSL2+ the testing would be very different.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID: N/A Service ID: BBEU00000000

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 75.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 537.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress  
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk  
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-09T16:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 75.3 Mbps 78.7 Mbps 77.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 896.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-22T14:36:24Z 2018-11-22T14:51:24Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Also one more thing, if I go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it shows Current line speed:

It looks like that's out of date, it should update automatically in due course as we receive a fresh speed profile via delta report from our suppliers systems. Due to the way your service routes across it wouldn't affect your speeds in any way.

Having said that I've nudged the profile up for you now.

Apart from that there's not much we can do to improve your throughput or line speeds further unfortunately.

[edit]

Fixed quote.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

Do you think it could be a stuck profile or something then? over 10% lower than my sync rate seems really high considering my connection seems clear and good. I do have a really old Plusnet Hub One, as I have just kept it after renewing contracts.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I suspect you are actually on re-transmission high with IP profile about 92% of the sync rate. The GEA test profile names are usually a couple weeks out of date so therefore often wrong causing confusion. I have mentioned this on the forum many times but nothing changes. There is a method to try and trick the DLM to restore retransmission low but it requires a Broadcom modem with full telnet access to issue the commands, If you are using a PlusNet Hub 1 it isn't possible. There is at least one long thread on the Kitz forum about this.

scottrc
Rising Star

That would make sense actually, because a while ago I changed wiring and bumped my speed up massively by removing internal wiring issues. Last night I changed router to the BT Business Smart Hub. It is showing:

Data rate:
20.00 Mbps / 78.48 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
24594 / 80665

On the DSL checker, it shows 77mb max for my area so my connection must be clean. So basically my only hope is that the DLM will eventually realise it. I doubt Plusnet can put this as a fault. The max I can get on speed checkers are 70mb, but most are slightly below at about 66 (could be time of day) but it never goes over 70 even at 5am. I use the latest MK5 faceplate, No internal wiring and CAT7 cable straight to the PC to test it with. I also have a shielded shorter DSL cable to the hub. The same result appears with WiFi too.

Current BT IP Profile: 68.77 Mbps

scottrc
Rising Star

Also one more thing, if I go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it shows Current line speed:

It looks like that's out of date, it should update automatically in due course as we receive a fresh speed profile via delta report from our suppliers systems. Due to the way your service routes across it wouldn't affect your speeds in any way.

Having said that I've nudged the profile up for you now.

Apart from that there's not much we can do to improve your throughput or line speeds further unfortunately.

Also Gandalf,

It's gone back down to 68.4mb again within a day. I know you said it doesn't affect your speed, but on the page it does say:

What does "Current line speed" mean? The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection. 

So for some reason the DLM is really restricting me by over 10%.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@scottrc It's possible that it's a stuck profile, but it could also be that you're on retransmission high as @RealAleMadrid has suggested.

As your speeds are within target and line tests aren't showing the cause of the issues, any fault report we raise with our suppliers would likely return the outcome to book an engineer visit, which may incur a call-out charge for no fault found.

It looks like the connection profile(current line speed) has gone back down to 68.4mbps, because your IP profile is 68.77mbps, so it's rightfully trying to match it, but unless you have a static IP it won't be restricting your speeds.

This is due to the way your service routes across our network. We upgraded our network, as of if I recall correctly 2015 or 2016, which means that for the majority of connections without static IPs the connection profile has no impact at all.

If you have a static IP then you'd essentially tunnel through our network, terminating on extra equipment. This is because it makes it easier to assign static IPs this way while also keeping the same one during a house move.

A bit more detail about this can be found Here if you're interested.

What does "Current line speed" mean? The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection. 

The current line speed(referred to as the connection profile internally) should match the IP profile which is below the sync speed but above your throughput, so I suspect this is referring to your throughput.

Either way while that link is useful you shouldn't really need to look at it anymore. Probably one of the reason why there's no longer a shortcut to it from the member centre.

I hope this helps explain things a bit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

Alright, I'm going to completely leave it alone now for a few weeks and see if the BT Wholesale profile changes. Hopefully it will go up. I see no reason for it to be at 68/69 when my router stats show:

20.00 Mbps / 78.48 Mbps

24476 / 80518

If it's set that way and there are no other errors or anything then it must either be stuck or being throttled due to crosstalk, but I've been told my line is crosstalk free. My guess is that it isn''t and they need to add a cabinet. I know my throughput is limited by the BT Whoesale DLM profile because that's the exact speed the speed testers go to. With some starting above 70+ then very quickly dropping back down to the IP Profile limit. It could be that previously my home wiring was causing lots of errors so the DLM put me on something and as I fixed the problem myself, no engineer was needed and hence no DLM reset. I'm hoping it's just waiting to make sure the fixes are not temporary.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've discussed this with BTwholesale to try to find out if there's anything they can do, but the agent advised me that they can't see the IP profile. Essentially they'd only see what we'd see from testing your line, so it looks like it's a waiting game for DLM.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

Alright no worries, thank you for trying Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

and that is why dlm is such a [-Censored-] invention cause noone can do anything about it which i believe is rubbish and the person paying for there product has to wait as always dlm should be reset automatically on everybodys line possibly once a month or just get rid of dlm as its a complete waste of time for people and too sensitive

scottrc
Rising Star

Just tto update, the BT Hub, did a resync at 6am by itself. It now shows:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

24705 / 82640

8.7 dB / 4.4 dB

BT Wholesale IP Profile is now 70.61 Mbps. So it's moving at least, I think mainly because the noise margin dropped from 5 something down to 4.4.

scottrc
Rising Star

I think I figured out why the IP profile wont go over 71. Although my router stats and wiring is all good, showing 80+. My distance to the cabinet is about 400-500m give or take. I'm guessing this overides something in the DLM or is at least something that it always uses, no matter if the router shows a max attainable of 80+, probably because most users wouldn't have no internal wiring, latest faceplate etc. Probably something BT Wholesale should program into their system though.

Still, just removing the internal wiring and using the latest Mk5 Faceplate made it go from 50 to 70.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @scottrc, thanks for the update.

It sounds like you've got one of the most optimal optimal set-ups I've seen to be honest!

We're please to hear that your speeds have shot up, please keep us up to date with what you find.