Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Reset?

mrantillies
Hooked

IP Profile Reset?

Hi there

I was wondering whether an IP reset would resolve my current speed issue. The connection from the router is suggesting that the current connection is aroun 61Mbps. However, the BT Speed Test only returns 49.69 Mbps. I know this is within the "acceptable" range, but the connection has been getting slower and slower over time.

Would an IP reset help this situation? Or are there some other issues?

Many thanks

Nick.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: IP Profile Reset?

@mrantillies 

I believe that the hub one reports synch speed. If so you can’t compare this with your actual download test speed results. If for example your line is set to retransmission high you only get just over 90% of your sync speed at best.

The slow down might be no more that the increased take up of broadband plus increased broadband traffic that’s causing your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mrantillies
Hooked

Thanks for the response. While I know that synch speed and actual speed are two different things, I would expect them to be closer together (and they have been up until very recently).

Hopefully one of the PN support guys will see this, and let me know.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for reaching out @mrantillies

is your test being run over a wired or wireless connection?

I'm asking because I've run some tests on your line which are still showing the sync speed to be in the region of 61.6Mbps. Something I've noted though is the Broadband Profile:

Downstream: 0.128M-67M with no error protection. Upstream: 0.128M-17M with no error protection

The line is currently banded at 67Mbps, though your sync speed isn't reaching that, indicating a potential fault with the line. I've made some changes on our end, increasing the connection profile to 70Mbps, but this is unlikely to have much of an effect if there's a fault.

It's worth starting with some simple Troubleshooting which can be found here

If the line does not improve after that, please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further. you currently have a Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 50Mbps, so you shouldn't really be getting wired speed test results of 49Mbps unless there's a fault with the line.

I'll pop my KBD results onto this post so you can have a look Smiley

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 61.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 17.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 482.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-67M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-17M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-25T14:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 61.5 Mbps 61.6 Mbps 61.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 16.9 Mbps 16.9 Mbps 16.9 Mbps
Up Time 801.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
mrantillies
Hooked

THanks for that @adam945, it's really helpful.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a wired connection directly into the router with nothing else attached at the time whilst running the tests..

I've run through the simple fault finding already, so don't think it's anything like that.

Just re-run the BT speed test and it's come out at 48.73Mbps, I've attached the screenshot.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us. Just before we proceed any further at this stage, please could you try running one more test whilst the router is connected to the test socket in the property? For reference, we have a guide on how to locate this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mrantillies
Hooked

Thanks for this @TheMightyAJ 

I have just run a test from the test port on the master socket. Strangely it would not connect at all when plugged in there with a microfilter. I left it for a good five minutes and the router refused to connect.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your response @mrantillies

I've just sent you an email with regards to getting the fault raised to Openreach, though an engineer appointment would be required, as no faults are being found on our end.

If you'd like to reply to the SMS that I've sent alongside it, give me a nudge once you have and I'll be happy to pop back into the account to follow up.

Adam
mrantillies
Hooked

@adam945 I have replied to the SMS message.

Thanks for your help.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great stuff Smiley

I've raised the fault with our suppliers and have sent you another SMS with appointment details. Our technical Support Team will review the notes once the appointment has taken place and will be happy to follow up. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Adam
mrantillies
Hooked

@adam945 There were loads of CRC errors on my line, so a new master socket has been fitted.

Is it worth doing an IP Profile reset to take advantage of this?

Thanks for the support so far!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Nick, I'm sorry to see the engineer fitting a new master socket hasn't improved your speed. 

I've looked into this for you and as the current profile of the line is "Downstream: 0.128M-67M with no error protection. Upstream: 0.128M-17M with no error protection" which means the router can sync anywhere up to 67mbps, so we can't arrange for the line to be reset as there are no artificial restrictions to the line speed.

With the speed being within the estimates of the line of between 54.6mbps to 71.4mbps, it's doubtful our suppliers will investigate further. Are you though still only getting around 50mbps throughput?

If so are you testing your speed on a laptop/computer that's plugged directly into the router using an ethernet cable with no powerline adapters or switches in place, all other devices switched off, and nothing running in the background on the computer you're using? I'd also test your speed on a different site such as Here to cross-check.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet