Did you mean: 

IP Profile/ DLM reset

FIXED
KymL
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

IP Profile/ DLM reset

Hi,

Would it be possible to reset my DLM/IP profile please? the reason I ask is that I have had to replace some hardware which was faulty, which caused my modem to shut off or freeze frequently. Since then my broadband sync has dropped to around 66 whereas it was a solid 80 for months prior (my down speed is about 64-66 now whereas it used to be about 74-76). 

This makes me think that the profiling got inadvertently fooled into thinking that my line was unstable as a result.

Thanks in advance. 

Kym

19 REPLIES 19
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: IP Profile/ DLM reset

Hi Kym.

Your line doesn't seem to be banded:

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

I can't see any reasons why your router would only be in sync at 68.9mbps.

Unfortunately though as it's above your line estimates there's not much we can do.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KymL
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Thank you for your reply.

While I appreciate it is "above the line estimates", while with Plusnet I have managed to hit the maximum (the cabinet is literally outside my back gate). Could this therefore be looked into?

When Openreach have been out (when I was with Sky), they tested my setup and confirmed I could max out a Plusnet package and off of his recommendation, I moved to Plusnet.

Thanks in advance
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems Kym.

Unfortunately we can't find out remotely why your speeds have dropped so the next step would be to an engineer visit, but there'd be the possibility of a call-out charge if they found no fault with your service.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KymL
Dabbler

I'm sorry but I don't feel that is an acceptable answer.

It has been evidenced that my line has reached maximum speeds in the past and I have even outlaid funds to purchase a new modem, to rule out the internal factor of the modem. The modem is directly into the master socket as well (where it always is) to prevent any interference.

The initial drop in speed came after a Openreach engineer made a mistake in the cabinet (crossed lines, so we were getting someone else's telephone calls). After this was rectified, the speed was significantly lower.

Could you please check / reset the line profile / IP profile / DLM, as the adsl checker seems to indicate my line profile is only 67mb. If there are any other amendments that may rectify the issue your end.

Thanks in advance.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you ruled your line or router?

Do you get a quite line when you dial 17071 option 2?

Are you able to post any details from your router/modem - the help desk page would be ideal if its a PN Hub1 or BT HH - making sure you hide any sensitive information? 

What are your sync speeds, and do you see max attainable speeds?

KymL
Dabbler

Thank you for the response.

Line is fine (confirmed by Openreach and they confirmed 80mb would be a doddle). The modem was replaced last night to rule that out.

I called the number recommended and it just gave me the incorrect number tone.

Here are the stats from the router:

VDSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 68863 kbps 20000 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.4 db 13.0 db
Noise Margin 5.3 db 8.5 db

I've attached the dsl checker report from the BT website.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Sorry, my bad, the number should have been 17070 option 2. It should report your number, and the line should be quiet with no crackles.

Alas, not much more I can add, you are in sync within the DSL checker, so nothing that anyone will be able to do. If your modem/router could display max attainable speeds, it might have helped show if DLM would improve your speeds in time.

Do you have a PN Hub1 or BT HH5? They and others will report max attainable speeds.

KymL
Dabbler

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I don't have ISP supplier router (chose to use my own on sign up).

The quiet line test was clear.

I take it the only option really is for Plusnet to try a DLM reset (or request one from BTW if they cannot do it themselves) and see where it does from there?

Edit - just been reading they can do the DLM reset themselves: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar... - Plusnet could you please arrange for a DLM reset at the earliest convenience please. Thank you.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah, that's a shame, always worth having the ISP router in case you run into problems. I too use my own router, but do have the ISP supplied one just in case.

PN can't directly do a DLM reset, they do have a trial running to ask for one, but as your speeds are within the estimates they are unlikely to be able to ask for it. Equally if you follow their fault guide it suggests using another router, and test from the hidden socket.

At the end of the day, are you really noticing any impact in your day to day usage by slightly slower sync speeds on an "up to" service?

KymL
Dabbler

To be honest, I didn't thing I'd need the ISP router and thought I'd be just accepting one for the sake of it.

The missing speed is actually noticible. All our media is purchased digitally nowadays and for example the Xbox One X is 4K/HDR, files are considerably larger. It equates to a real world loss of around 1.5mb/s (drop from 8.5mb/s to around 7mb/s). When you're downloading a 50gb file, you appreciate the additional speed.

I only moved from Sky at the recommendation of an Openreach engineer, but I have regretted it ever since. With Sky (over the same line, with the same hardware), it constantly held at 80mb - only once it dropped due to a external issue affecting the whole area, but it was rectified quickly.

I'm hoping they will just put through a DLM reset request, as honestly I've had nothing but problems with the service / PN customer service since joining.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's not a lot to indicate that a DLM reset will improve anything. Maybe you'd get slightly more speed without interleaving, but a DLM reset may not immediately remove that, perhaps depending on that cabinet type.

Openreach engineers shouldn't really be recommending one ISP over another.

iangilf
Rising Star

with there attenuation they should be seeing full speeds this is what winds people up they have seen full speeds before then the stupid dlm kicks in and changes everything there is problems with dlm which should be addressed it always has been a nightmare from the days of adsl , the techs always blame the user but guaranteed its the bt equipment and the stupid dlm system

Line Attenuation 13.4 db 13.0 db

KymL
Dabbler

@Gandalf could you please request a DLM reset for me please? I think it's worth a try, especially if interleaving can be disabled as well please (as per @ejs suggestion). Thanks in advance. 

@iangilf that's what annoys me. My setup is perfectly capable of hitting the maximum and has done in the past, but trying to get it rectified is so difficult. It may be within the line estimates, but if I pay for an "up to" service and I know full well that my setup is capable of the full speed, I expect it.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

FTTC speeds tend to go down over time due to increased crosstalk noise as more and more people on your cabinet switch to FTTC. Resetting the DLM won't do anything about this. That your line used to get a particular speed in the past doesn't mean it can continue to get it now. There'll probably always be someone else getting more speed than you on a longer line.

My comment about interleaving appears to have been almost completely misinterpreted, interleaving cannot be switched on/off by choice, it is controlled by the DLM. The stats don't show much potential for increased speed from a DLM reset. I don't really think a DLM reset is worth a try.