Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address seems to be static - would prefer Dynamic

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

IP Address seems to be static - would prefer Dynamic

Hi

I switch my router off every night and when i turn it on some 10-12 hours later I still have the same IP address?

I dont have any addon option for it, my firewall is off and im not in debt with plusnet..?

ive had these "sticky" IP's before with SKY when rebooting or only turning off for 30 minutes or less, but usually an overnight switch off would give you a new IP.

can someone please check this?

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: IP Address seems to be static - would prefer Dynamic

With Fibre(FTTC) IP addresses are allocated locally from small pools. Most people on Fibre dont turn their routers off at all so IP addresses rarely get released back to the pool so the chances of you getting a different IP are very low.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: IP Address seems to be static - would prefer Dynamic

Hi @snadge

Thanks a lot for reaching out, I can see that our automated system assigned a static IP to your account back in 2019. Our system can do this for numerous reasons. Saying that, I've now raised a task with our NetOps Team to see if we can get this removed, and have a dynamic IP assigned instead.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds