cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address Changed to non-UK

bikeman
Dabbler

IP Address Changed to non-UK

Since earlier today my Plusnet/BT IP adress changed from a UK number 51.6.94.177 (177.94.6.51.dyn.plus.net) to a non-specific European address 213.31.180.25 (25.180.31.213.dyn.plus,net).

My lastpass account was set to restrict access to only UK so the effect of this change has been to lock me out with the message: 'You are not permitted to login from this location. Please go to https://lastpass.com/unlock'

The unlock process sends a link to my backup email address, however the link fails because 'We are unable to identify your country based on your ip addess'

Lastpass in their wisdom wont also let me log into their forum now so I can't get assistance there, they don't respond to email, twitter etc. It's all a bit [-Censored-].

Why have BT's ip address ranges changed? 

6 REPLIES 6
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: IP Address Changed to non-UK

Hi @bikeman

Thanks for getting in touch.

The IP address should only change if the router reboots for any reason (either through a drop in connection, or you physically turning off the router). That being said, all IP addresses should identify as being within the UK and therefore shouldn't generate this problem.

If you turn your router off overnight tonight, it will force the router to reallocate you a new IP when you turn it back on again. Hopefully this will resolve the issue for you, however, if it doesn't, let us know and we'll raise this to our network team on your behalf.

Best wishes

Dave

bikeman
Dabbler

Restarting the router just gave me a new address in the same range so same problem.

I was able to reset the lastpass' country access restriction by using a VPN through a UK gateway.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bikeman

The router has to be off for at least four hours to completely reassign the IP - hence my suggestion to leave it off overnight.

Thanks

Dave

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@bikeman 

The server looks at the ip address from you, 213.31.180.25

It then looks up the information to determine the country of origin

It gets it wrong because

The records have not been updated after the ip address has been transfered

The idiot who programmed the lookup didn't look at the correct data item.

Prove it, VPN where you know the address is definitely  'in the uk' (ie the record says it is, but of course the physical server can be anywhere on the planet), as you did of course.

Waiting N hours to get a new address will not ensure you resolve the problem.

bikeman
Dabbler

Lastpass, like everyone else, use an IP lookup service. It would seem that the service they use is not maintained accurately.

The frustrating part is that when Lastpass detect this they not only lock me out but also stop me logging into their forum so I can't get support. It's hard to believe that they can be so inept yet remain one of the most popular password management systems.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@bikeman 

While I can understand their need to ensure that the client is who they say they are, there are better authentication methods available, for example OTP, alternate  or email address.

Or, an encrypted file with your passwords, on you system, backed up to a usb, off site, with a master password held by a trusted person off site, or in a sealed envelope with your solicitor..