cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not getting anywhere close to the minimum guaranteed speed?

Swche1
Dabbler

I'm not getting anywhere close to the minimum guaranteed speed?

My minimum guaranteed download speed is 60.9Mbps
However, after running speed checks I am getting download speeds of around 28.5 Mbps
That's less than half of the minimum download speed!

NB: I am connected via Wi-Fi (partitioned to 5GHz) and sitting right next to the Plusnet Hub One router; my laptop is literally a couple of inches from the router. I can only check through WiFi; my laptop doesn't have any ethernet ports.

--
I went on BT's broadband availability checker and have attached the results for my exchange.
Can anything be done to improve my speed at all? And how do I check which "connection" (VDSL, ADSL, FTTP) I've been allocated? I can see that a couple of options are available in my exchange so could it be the case that my potential speeds are being capped because I've been allocated outdated lines (which I think are the ADSLs)?
14 REPLIES 14
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: I'm not getting anywhere close to the minimum guaranteed speed?

@Swche1 There is no guaranteed speed for a wireless connection. Plusnet only accept users wired ethernet speed tests as evidence when complaining about low speeds.

Also you must be on VDSL to get anything above about 20Mbps and Plusnet do not supply FTTP.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @Swche1

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with your connection speeds and I apologise for the frustration caused. I can see you've raised a fault with us, and through testing an external phone fault has been raised to our suppliers. It's currently showing as cleared, however, how are you finding the connection now? 

Thanks. 

Swche1
Dabbler

@Mads

Thanks for looking into this

Yes, for whatever reason I now seem to be getting better download speeds. I did some speed tests last night and got around 55 Mbps which is a big improvement (although still below the minimum guaranteed download speed).

Also, it fluctuates a lot and isn’t consistent. I ran further speed tests right after and got 12 Mbps, and then 30 Mbps.

So while I now seem to be getting better download speeds, it’s inconsistent and sometimes even worse.

Given that we think all is OK with the exchange / line, what else could be affecting my download speeds? Is it possible that I have a faulty router? I have a Hub One so assume the antennaes are located inside — it isn’t possible for me to easily replace this.
slinkywonka10
Grafter

Same problem as me and many others,not usually one to buy into conspiracy theorys but maybe openreach are intentionally reducing peoples speeds and hoping they do not notice? Maybe that is cheaper than upgrading the cabs? Maybe there are too many people on fast fibre on certain cabs? Who knows but my speed was perfectly fine for years and then all of asudden dropped by over 10mb just like that and has not gone back up.My speed profile is far too low for my line and yet it will not even reach the top of that profile? 

Something is not right.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @slinkywonka10, thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with your speeds, Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net  

Thanks. 

geobrad
Hooked

Having the exact same issues, only joined 2 months ago, started off with a rock solid 54 meg down and then it slowly decreased to less than 25 meg over the month, raised a ticket and was told it required an engineer visit!! not sure why because if i had dodgy wiring would never had the initial 54 meg down, so ignored that request and my ticket was closed. Suddenly my speed increased back up to 49 meg after this happened!!!

Service Notification
12:37am, Thursday 10 Sep 2020
Bandwidth usage has been reset

Am on unlimited fibre or so i thought, so will be keeping a wee eye out the next couple of days and see if i have a sudden jump again

slinkywonka10
Grafter

Already have a ticket,no response to my last reply that was 3 days ago.Seriously considering moving to zen broadband.
geobrad
Hooked

took a week to get back to me

irisandlori
Hooked

Ever since I upgraded to Fibre Extra, my speeds have varied between 25 and 35. Customer services told me to try some other channels which made no difference at all. I lost patience and bought a BT hub 6 on eBay for about £33 which does work with Plusnet and my speeds are now regularly about 72 !! 

How brilliant is that. Although it doesn't say much for the routers that Plusnet are sending out. But I am now a very happy bunny.

geobrad
Hooked

oh!!! of to have a wee nosey on ebay, update: £24.00 hopefully well spent

slinkywonka10
Grafter

My router/modem is a tp link archer 2600,would a hub6 be a better option?
geobrad
Hooked

Well the HH6 did not change anything!!!, Still do not know whats happening, joined a couple of months ago and was getting a solid 54meg at the start and then suddenly dropped to 19!!, It then jumped back up to 44 and now back down to 25, well stumped, surely if there was a problem in my house wiring i would not have got 54 to start with

Swche1
Dabbler

I’m getting the same issue as you. The speed fluctuates by a wide margin. I get anywhere between 5 Mbps to 60Mbps, and there’s no predicting what I’m going to get. I’ve noticed it’s usually 15-25 Mbps which is much slower than what I’m paying for.

I will borrow my friend’s unused computer to test the speed with an Ethernet cable.
geobrad
Hooked

thank you, so am not going daft then!!!! 😀