cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a Fibre Broadband customer who is moving to a home which already has broadband. Can I have both?

themoose89

I'm a Fibre Broadband customer who is moving to a home which already has broadband. Can I have both?

At my old address, I have Fibre Broadband and due to things beyond our control, me and my partner can no longer live there and have moved in with her parents for around 6 months. The issue arises because I am not even 2 months into the contract with PlusNet as I very recently switched and now I'm facing a £200+ termination fee. I would like to avoid this since I am unable to transfer my contract over because due to the in laws having their own internet already.

This got me thinking, I realised as I was setting up in the spare room that it has an inactive BT socket in the corner, unused. The home broadband is fitted downstairs in the living room and this one is in the spare room upstairs. I took a look outside and this pole is just across the street, it has 2 cables attached to this house while all the others connected only have one. Could this mean I could transfer my Plusnet fibre to the new address, leaving the one downstairs uneffected? This way I could avoid the £200+ fee and still be in contract AND have my own connection without having the strain the one downstairs as I am a huge gamer and streamer. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I'm a Fibre Broadband customer who is moving to a home which already has broadband. Can I have b

I'd imagine it might be possible, but I assume it would mean it would involve getting a separate phone line for upstairs.

Trouble is your house will be paying two lots of line rental. If you're happy with that, then fine.

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: I'm a Fibre Broadband customer who is moving to a home which already has broadband. Can I have b

Your probably better speaking to the home move team on 0800 013 2632. You need to weigh up the costs of moving the package vs buying the contract out. From the plusnet home move page it says if you are moving home and wanted carry on with your contract their is a £65 charge. Their is also a £49.99 charge if a phone line needs to be installed which would be the case if their isn't a 2nd master socket within the property or if the master socket hasn't been in use for sometime. You can also get rid of the £65 charge by agreeing to take out a new contract but again don't know if this would apply due to you only being 2 months into it. You are looking at potential moving charges of £114.99 so it would be better for you to speak to plusnet explaining what you want to do and see if they can help e.g. possible recontract to waive some of the fees.

themoose89

I phoned on that number. They didn't sound very sure/confident but what I got from him was that I won't be able to move my service across to the new address without the existing one being affected. He also told me that there is no way for a new line to be installed and he didn't know why, he just said Plusnet will will take over the existing line and that there will be no extra cost.

But because of where I'm moving to, I can't get Fibre. Will this mean I have to pay the rest of the Fibre contract out, even though Plusnet can't provide it? Or will I need to be bumped down to a line they could offer at this address like a low speed broadband?

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@themoose89 So it sounds like you will take over your parents phone line. I assume you have discussed this with them and they are ok with it as they will also lose their phone number as plusnet will give you a different one. You need to make sure they are out of contract with their provider themselves so they don't get stung with termination fees. In terms of fibre not being aviliable plusnet say in their Plusnet Broadband and Fibre Service terms Section 9 Moving home : "9.2. If you have fibre broadband, but we can't provide it at your new home, you can move to our broadband service without penalty." which should mean you move to plusnets standard ADSL broadband service without being charged for the fibre service. I would imagine they will start you on a new ADSL contract.