Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep getting redirected to US. The ISP shown as BT Americas

keithnimmo
Hooked

I keep getting redirected to US. The ISP shown as BT Americas

Dear plusnet,

I`m having problem with this IP problem. I hope you can help to fix it. It is getting very frustrating now, I've tried re-booting the router in the hope that it gives me a new IP address in the UK but so far it hasn't changed. It worked before until more than a week ago Plusnet restarted my internet. I do not want to be force to pay for a static IP address, I don't want a static IP address. Please help. Many thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: I keep getting redirected to US. The ISP shown as BT Americas

Hi there,

You say you're being redirected to the US, what is redirecting you?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
keithnimmo
Hooked

Hello, thank you for your reply.

For example the site I normally go to will show my location is UK and currency also shown in GBP, but now the site I frequently visit detect my location as USA and show me is USD. The only way I can fix the problem is to use a VPN to change my location back to UK. 

I did searched in this forum "BT Americas" and found similar problem and the Plusnet Help team seems to be able to help with this problem.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@keithnimmo 

Sounds like a known problem though I haven't heard of it for a while.

PlusNet use a batch of BT IP4 addresses, some of which were once "live" in America. Somewhere along the line they haven't been changed to the UK. I can't remember what they're called but there are "routing" companies who move data around the world. It'll likely be one of these that hasn't up-dated.

You need to wait for a Staff member to come along.

Brian

keithnimmo
Hooked

hello Brian, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, hope the staff member will come to rescue me from USA soon. Chuckle.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@keithnimmo Let's be clear here, all the Plusnet IP ranges are correctly registered as located in the UK. The problem is that some sites are using incorrect geolocation databases which identify some ranges as being US based. The problem is really down to the sites themselves to correct their databases. 

As Chris says, if you can indicate which sites are giving the problem then PN may be able to contact them and get them to correct their database, although quite often the approach is just ignored. The only other way is to get an ip from a different range, which is usually achieved by a static ip. These are from different ranges and are normally treated correctly by the geolocation databases.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keithnimmo
Hooked

Hello MisterW, thanks for letting me know. I think I might have to try to turn off my router for 65 mins and turn back on to see if the renew ip will solve it. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Unfortunately that's not a permanent solution, when your ip changes again the problem will likely come back.

Also ip's are 'sticky' these and often dont change easily.

The real solution is to get the sites concerned to correct their geolocation databases

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

You can try a page like this to see if you can get it to update: https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback

keithnimmo
Hooked

Yes, tested and not working. I think I will just have to use a VPN. Many thanks again for your help. 

keithnimmo
Hooked

Hi Marhsfish, thanks for your help. I will try to do the update to see if it will make any changes. Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @keithnimmo

We're aware of some issues but as advised above the best way to get this resolved is to take it up with the website in question

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team