cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hope I'm not going to regret leaving Rupert

stevo871

I hope I'm not going to regret leaving Rupert

I've had plusnet around a week now, I know it's still within its 10 days 'training' period, but my speed is just terrible at the moment. 

If you just looked at the speed test you wouldn't even think it was a fiber connection, let alone the same line Rupert and his team at Sky were giving me speeds of around 35mb DL and 10mb UL just last week. I'm starting to get a bit worried now that I've made a big mistake. 

17 REPLIES 17
stevo871

Re: I hope I'm not going to regret leaving Rupert

Showing a slight improvement 20mins later 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

With ping times like that, you have a serious problem. Try and raise a fault, if you can get someone to answer the phone.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bazinga_81
Grafter
Fixes: 1

You will regret it when you need some support it's non existent i waited on chat for 2 hours as number 1 in que and still didn't get to talk to anyone so gave up contract or not I'm thinking of going bk to sky
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Support really is terrible at the moment, god knows why... i really hope someone from plusnet can help you when or if they read this post tomorrow that is shocking connection.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

stevo871 I know it's still within its 10 days 'training' periodEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
I dont Know who keeps saying this But on Fibre there is NO !!!!! training period , it is what it is from start
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

stevo871

Using lithium?

I've just tried that link, I'm not getting anything like the speeds I should be.

They can't use the excuse that it's like quality or distance from the exchange either as its fiber so shouldn't lose anything and the fact I've actually had a decent connection on the same line before.

Only think I can think of is I'm using the bt open reach cable I had in before rather than the new one supplied?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

You can raise a fault online at https://faults.plus.net - so there's no need to have to call into us. Once we receive your fault request, we'll complete some testing on your line and be in touch.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@stevo871 it's distance from the cabinet that matters with fibre and the signal drops pretty rapidly the further away you are from it.

stevo871

Filled it in, thanks, fingers crossed some light can be shed on it Smiley
stevo871

Fair enough, still, I had a decent connection before, it shouldn't be worse with a different provider.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Browni Yes i agree its there , But the 10 days is mainly for the ADSL connection .
In reality the FTTC should find its best speed within the first 2 days Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi @stevo871

The fault checker hasn't been completed fully, can you double check you've answered all the questions as it's not come through to us yet.

Although looking at your usage, it appears you're using the connection extremely heavily so you should try stopping anything downloading before running a speed test. For example, yesterday there was over 260GB of usage, with 16GB regularly being downloaded each hour, doing this will mean there isn't any available bandwidth for your speedtests.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stevo871

Thanks for your response Chris.

The heavy usage will be because I've set up Google drive to sync with my Discstation. I had it paused at the time of the Speedtests and I've kept pausing it to spread it out over a number of days to do it's initial sync. It'll be using much less ones it's in sync. I'll have to see if the Discstation has a speed limit to stop it hogging resources.