cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to restart router to get good speed

mdor88

I have to restart router to get good speed

I subscribed to PlusNet a month ago. I'm supposed to have 60 Mbps with Unlimited Fiber Extra (44 Mbps guaranteed), and I usually get 50 to 55 Mbps. However my connection frequently drops to bellow 20 Mbps and stays like this until I restart my router. Router fault? What should I do?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I have to restart router to get good speed

Try your landline and see if there is anything wrong with that.

Any interference or noise on the line?

mdor88

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have a phone to test my landline with. However I tried to connect my Mac using an Ethernet cable rather than wifi last time it happened, and noticed that the bandwidth was fine with the cable (50 MBps), so it seems to be a wifi problem.

Disconnecting a device from wifi and reconnecting it (or even restarting a device) doesn't solve the issue. It seems that at some point (about twice a week), the router decides that all the devices on wifi won't get more than 20 Mbps, and I have to restart it to get more.

(strangely enough, after I unplugged my Mac and got back to wifi, however, the bandwidth was good, not capped at 20 Mbps, but only on my Mac. Other devices still had 20 Mbps).

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @mdor88  Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @mdor88 

If you think it is Wi-Fi, have you tried changing the channels to see if it makes any difference? I assume you're using a Hub One, but I don't have access to one at the moment.

Doesn't sound like your connection from what you've said. Ideally if you can test a wired connection straight into the router and aee if you have any speed issues there?

mdor88

Yes, it's a Hub One, and bandwidth is good on wire.

I'll check the channel settings and see if that changes anything Right now it's set to the following:

Channel selection: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep it's worth changing it to manual and trying different ones. See if it makes any difference.

The reason I say that is it could be interference. I say could, but you won't know until you try.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@mdor88 

Try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Try each and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@mdor88 - see here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team