cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have fixed wiring issue in my house is it possible to get a DLM request without an engineer visit

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: I have fixed wiring issue in my house is it possible to get a DLM request without an engineer...

Thanks for the update @bert1e 

How long's the cable? Is it an extension cable or of an ordinary length?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bert1e
Dabbler

Re: I have fixed wiring issue in my house is it possible to get a DLM request without an engineer...

Its 10m long with rj11 connectors (male) on either end. On the phone socket end I have it going into a filter and then into the test socket. At the other end I have a brand new RJ11 female to female connector and the lead from my router is plugged into that

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @bert1e 

If possible do you have a shorter cable of a standard length?

Long cables between the router and the telephone socket are common for causing issues especially on fibre.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bert1e
Dabbler

@Gandalf I am afraid I dont have a shorter length cable the only way I could do it is trailing cables all over the floor and its not practical. Mains is not near the phone socket.  That cable length (10m) is relatively short compared to the BT wiring. The BT wiring comes into the house at the front door into a BT52A junction box  then over the top of a door frame back into another BT52A junction box and then back outside, goes round to the back of the house, back into the house and into the master socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I think for the purpose of a test before we potentially book an engineer, it's worth getting your hands on a shorter cable to use. I appreciate the BT wiring is longer, and that's likely fine, but the long extension cable would be adding to the loop loss.

Is it possible to use a shorter DSL cable and a power extension cord? Just for testing purposes as it'll narrow things down where the problem may lie. Wanting to avoid an engineer call out charge should the issue be the long cable.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bert1e
Dabbler

I will do a one off test this evening moving the router to the master socket and see if the Attainable throughput number increases. That way we can work out what impact my own internal cables are having. 

I will need to put the router back after the test as I cant move  NAS, DECT phones  and VM host which I will need for work tomorrow.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @bert1e 

Let us know how it goes

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bert1e
Dabbler

@Gandalf So I have done the test and have attached the results. It looks like I get 10Mbps more download speed using the short cable (as in the router plugged into the socket).  So Short cable=48Mbps down while long cable round the room = 38Mbps.

So I dont think there is any point in arranging an engineer visit I will live with 38Mps for now until I can work out how to re-arrange the room to get the router closer to the socket.

Thank you for all the support and help you have given me. I have still ended up with a massive speed improvement (27 to 38) over what I had before.

cheers

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @bert1e 

Ah nice, I'm glad to see that's increased your speed although you've now likely got a bit of faff to rewire things.

No problem at all for the support, let me know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet