cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a problem : internet speeds and Ping Latency

Bilgepump

I have a problem : internet speeds and Ping Latency

For at least the last month, I've been having real problems in getting a reasonable download speed.

This was registered with Plusnet over a month ago, and most replies say "we've run our tests and all seems fine".

However.

I've submitted numerous BT Wholesale Broadband test results, some showing download speeds less than the guaranteed minimum, and some even with Ping Latency in excess of 20,000 ms!

BT engineers have been and tested my system and the connections, and all is fine.

Plusnet have just said "don't believe the BT Wholesale results - try a different tester".  I can't believe that.  Anyway, I have run one of Plusnet's preferred testers (Fast.com) and lo and behold it shows a download speed of 14Mb/sec when I should be getting circa 35Mb/sec.

Some engineers have said that 'there is instability on the line, and some crosstalk', but currently Plusnet are saying 'the problem seems to have gone away' ??  Just because they can't see or duplicate my results doesn't mean that it's gone away.

I'm fast loosing patience with engineers who only run remote tests on the copper and don't investigate.

7 REPLIES 7
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: I have a problem : internet speeds and Ping Latency

Hi @Bilgepump

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm sorry to see that you're experiencing throughput and latency issues. I absolutely understand how frustrating it can be when the speeds you're experiencing are not the speeds you're expecting.

Having reviewed your account I can see that you're discussed this at length with my colleagues here. I can see that an engineer visited your premises in March and confirmed the speed of your connection from the faceplate within your premises, rather than remote testing. Although I appreciate that test results from your premises have been inconsistent and that some of this inconsistency is down to the BT Wholesale test site, it does not appear to be an issue with your physical connection to the BT exchange. Every test we've performed shows your line in sync at 40mb/s irrespective of when we've performed this test.

At this stage I would be more inclined to try to narrow down what is affecting your throughput from within your premises as I do not feel dispatching another engineer will yield different results. I can see from your most recent ticket update shows a speed test result of around 14mb - could you confirm that this test was performed via an ethernet cable on a device hard wired into the router (not powerline adaptors, a direct ethernet cable). If this was the case, have you disabled all other Internet based applications (For example, antivirus software) and disconnected all other devices from your router to ensure nothing else is using the bandwidth of your connection?

When the ping results of your connection return with a high ping, could you please run a trace route to www.bbc.co.uk and paste the results here so that we can ascertain where this is slowing down?

Thanks

Dave

Bilgepump

Hi Dave G

I can confirm that the test you refer to was undertaken using a hard wired connection.

The recent results submitted have NOT been with WiFi switched off or all software utilities disabled.

I did do that at Plusnet's request a couple of weeks ago to verify that my system was not interfering, and the results were very similar.  I do not run a lot of background utilities, and no peripherals or background functions e.g. backup, were operating at the time.

Not sure how to "When the ping results of your connection return with a high ping, could you please run a trace route to www.bbc.co.uk  . . . . "  .  How do I go about that?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bilgepump

Thanks for confirming.

You can find a link to performing a trace route here.

Best wishes

Dave

Bilgepump

Just run a BT Wholesale test with results - 19.20mb/sec   7.55Mb/sec and 66ms.

Bilgepump

Just done a trace on www.bbc.co.uk - attached.

Hope you can understand it!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bilgepump

Thanks for confirming - could you please perform a speed test under the conditions we discussed earlier on this thread (wifi off, all apps closed, nothing else connected to the network) on a speed test site that isn't the BT Wholesale site and let us know the results?

Could you also then run a trace route to www.bbc.co.uk and paste the results here?

Best wishes

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

P.S - Trace route looks absolutely fine - no high latency.