cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a SAGEMCOM Router

pauldstead

I have a SAGEMCOM Router

Hi all.
Having made the transfer from normal very slow broadband to Fiber Plusnet gave me a small router which albeit looks neat and small but the signal from the router is well PANTS!! Can anyone recommend any  other  routers which will do a better job. The router I have is a SAGEMCOM  ROUTER 2704N PLUSNET FTTC
Hope you can help
Paul
14 REPLIES 14
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: I have a SAGEMCOM Router

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.
The thought "bad luck" comes to mind when I read the title of your thread
I take you mean the wireless is the problem, not your ethernet speed?
scottymc
Grafter

Hi mate
I just got one of these Tp-link W9980 well pleased with it so far WiFi signal is much better than the old plus net router
Its only £59:99
Anotherone
Champion

That's a Modem/Router btw, but it is VDSL compatible, not sure how those on Fibre have been getting on with it, there may be some posts on this board.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have a TP Link W9980 on Plusnet fibre, works perfectly fine.
scottymc
Grafter

That's why I got it mate fiber end of the month hopefully  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

It apparently needs a firmware upgrade to cope with G.INP
see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138451.0.html also http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15322.0.html
A lot of users seem to be happy with the Billion 8800NL or the Billion 8800AXL if you want a Modem/router and it seems to be capable of running stats monitoring programs. I'm not sure that the TP-Link has that ability as it's a Lantiq chipset.
If you just want a Router, the choices are greater but again no stats.
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=138438.0 on the 8800AXL.
DTEG
Rising Star

Finding wifi performance extremely variable with this router. Wired is fine, all the time - 38Mb/s on the nose, every time, even at peak periods.
Had thought perhaps it was no worse than our old router, which in combination with only a ~2Mb/s service at the time wasn't so obvious, but now pretty convinced (with transfer rates as low as the tens of Kb/s on occasions, regardless of channel, and we're not in particularly crowded RF airspace here) that this is a specific intermittent issue with this router model. If it persists and no firmware update is forthcoming from Plusnet or Sagem, will have to seek an alternative.
redlanddoug

I just moved to PlusNet too, and accepted their offer of the Sagem Router for a fiver. What a piece of c**p. The issues I see with it are:
Firstly - reboots several times a week. Wails of annoyance from the kids that 'the internet has gone down again!', and a quick look on the router shows its uptime as a few minutes. Sigh.
Secondly - appalling WiFi connectivity. Following a reboot of the router all the devices in the house connect and life is good. But after a day or two (assuming it didn't reboot itself!), devices can no longer connect wirelessly. Its still there on the WiFi analyser, but all attempts to connect result in authentication errors. Devices that are wired to the router are OK. This is purely the WiFi. Reboot it, and its OK again....I've taken to putting the damned thing on a timer, so it gets switched off between 3 & 4 in the morning, in the desperate hope that its MTBF is more than 24 hrs. At that puts me in control (sort of).
Are others seeing this? I wondered about asking for another router, but if they're all this c**p there's no point. Very disappointed with this. I thought things would be different when I moved from TalkTalk and their c**p hardware to PlusNet.
Doug
lisagovan

I have been moved to the sagemcom router and also have issues as it wont let me play facebook games on it and internet is not the best either
lohr500
Hooked

Yesterday I had my PN upgraded to Fibre.
After spending several hours trying to get the new "stand up" type router (2704N) to port forward my CCTV recording device , I gave up.
It worked fine on the old PN TG582N ADSL router.
In the end I upgraded the TG582N firmware to convert it to a Fibre router and so far it is working perfectly.
My CCTV port forwarding has been stable all day, and Wi-Fi connectivity is as it was on ADSL.
Not sure what, if anything I have lost by not using the 2704N router as I am no technical expert.
The upstream and downstream speed test results as measured on my PC connected to both routers is the same.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anotherone
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.
The thought "bad luck" comes to mind when I read the title of your thread
I was thinking it might be a modern day version of 'Old MacDonald' Smiley
On the plus side it did encourage me to open the thread to see what it was all about so I suppose it worked as far as the OP is concerned  Grin
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I don't have the 2704n router but I can't help but think Plusnet didn't do their research before switching to this. I see so many people having issues with it.
I have the previous offering (TG582n) which a lot of people also complained about. I find it to be a reliable basic router with mediocre wi-fi coverage. Not a ringing endorsement by any means, but it does the job, and I never have to reboot it. The 2704n makes the TG582n look like a high end router by comparison.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: jafreer
The 2704n makes the TG582n look like a high end router by comparison.

I'm afraid to say that it certainly seems to be the case. There's a lot of very powerful CLI commands for the TG582n.
@lisagovan
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your problems, are you still having the same issues with Facebook Games?
Is your general browsing any better?
alhenderson
Grafter

Quote from: redlanddoug
I just moved to PlusNet too, and accepted their offer of the Sagem Router for a fiver. What a piece of c**p. The issues I see with it are:
Firstly - reboots several times a week. Wails of annoyance from the kids that 'the internet has gone down again!', and a quick look on the router shows its uptime as a few minutes. Sigh.
Secondly - appalling WiFi connectivity. Following a reboot of the router all the devices in the house connect and life is good. But after a day or two (assuming it didn't reboot itself!), devices can no longer connect wirelessly. Its still there on the WiFi analyser, but all attempts to connect result in authentication errors. Devices that are wired to the router are OK. This is purely the WiFi. Reboot it, and its OK again....I've taken to putting the damned thing on a timer, so it gets switched off between 3 & 4 in the morning, in the desperate hope that its MTBF is more than 24 hrs. At that puts me in control (sort of).
Are others seeing this? I wondered about asking for another router, but if they're all this c**p there's no point. Very disappointed with this. I thought things would be different when I moved from TalkTalk and their c**p hardware to PlusNet.
Doug

I wouldn't bother asking for another router. I got a replacement one sent out and it was no better than the original. Have a similar problem to you, my Sky box won't with with on demand after 24 hrs..
Al