cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to use my tplink 1200ac router

mikethornley

I'd like to use my tplink 1200ac router

Hi,

I've just come to Plusnet Broadband from Virgin, having been very dissatisfied. I think the service and such is vastly better with Plusnet, more so after some investigation by BT over some landline issues we were having, which are now fixed. The signal strength however can be poor. 

Anyway, as a result and to boost things, I'd like to use my own TPLink 1200ac router instead of the Hub Plusnet issued but I'm struggling to get going. When setting things up, I can see I have a working router and the network is visible (using FING from my phone as the IP is displayed) but i cannot connect to to the router config/start page and don't even see the internet so can't even attempt to setup. I'm pretty sure my router is adequate, but wonder if Plusnet lock their routers, or there are some other factors I'm unaware of at work preventing me getting going.

After an afternoon of frustration i have given up and am now again back to rocking the Hub they issued in order to restore my service once more.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Mike.

Tags (4)
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: I'd like to use my tplink 1200ac router

Moderators Note.
Released from spam filter
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I understand that the is only a router. You need a separate modem to use it. I suggest that you buy a Huawei HG612  Model 3B off EBay and connect that between your router and the BT DSL socket.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

I'm runnning this exact same setup with no problems . I totally agree with @Baldrick1, get yourself a second hand Openreach Huawei EchoLife version 3B off ebay, its important you get version 3B as earlier versions were prone to overheating. Avoid the ECI B-Focus modem at all costs as it has issues with some cabinet chipsets.

On a note of caution there are some unlocked ones going for silly prices, you should not pay more than £15 including P&P for one.

This guy has several availabe for £11 with free delivery. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Huawei-HG612-3B-VDSL-FTTC-Fibre-Modem-Same-Day-Dispatch/2019...

The modem should work fine locked or unlocked, the only advantage to unlocking is you get line stats and sync rate via a web UI.

Connect LAN1 on the modem to the blue WAN port on the router.

(optional) If you have unlocked the modem and want the web UI / web stats connect LAN2 to one of the LAN ethernet ports on the router.

Go to Advanced settings on the TP Link router, select network, internet from the side bar.

Select PPPoE from the drop down and enter your plusnet user name and password.

Press the Advanced down arrow and set secondary connection to none, MTU to 1492 (important), IP Address to get dynamically from ISP.

For DNS you can either leave it as get dynamically from ISP or set it to your preferred providers IP Address if you want to use OpenDNS or Goole DNS serviers.

Set connection mode to Auto

Click on Save and then click connect 

I've put pictures of from my router below.

PPPoE SettingsPPPoE SettingsAdvanced 1Advanced 1Advanced 2Advanced 2

mikethornley

Thanks Mike. I'll now look in to this 👍 I thought this had a modem built in it says.
mikethornley

This is now working without any BT modem being needed - something which troubled me. I thought it should and would

Appeared, I was using the wrong username and nothing more.

Thank for your advice.

Mike.