cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cured my Wifi slow speed - I didn't know I could do this.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I cured my Wifi slow speed - I didn't know I could do this.

My Download speed dropped from 30+ Mbps on Wifi to less than 1Mbps. I tried several things, then after a discussion with a member of PN staff I decided to try something different.

I realised that my problems arose when my wife moved the sofa. This moved me from 'line of sight' of the Wifi transmitter. Not normally an issue, but our house is one of the super insulated types, where the plasterboard has a metallic lining on the inside (a pain when you want to put anything up the wall - drill and pray you miss everything). Obviously the signal was being bounced away from me.

My idea ....I have the 2 part router combination as supplied by PN., I connected  the first part ( the BT box) to the powerilne adapter, then the second router to the second powerline adapter in the room with me.  Would this work - using the powerline adapter to 'stretch' the connection between the two boxes?  Yes it did.

I now get http://www.speedtest.net/result/5859372291.png 

6 REPLIES 6
Malcky
Grafter

Re: I cured my Wifi slow speed - I didn't know I could do this.

I have to admit, I would never have thought this scenario would have worked.  

Andrue
Pro

My first thought was scepticism but then I remembered that the link between the modem and the router is just Ethernet so there's no reason it shouldn't work. However I assume this would render your powerline network useless for anything else. In effect you've created a dedicated WAN network. If you still need a powerline LAN network I'd expect you to need to set that up separately and I don't know if that would work. You'd either be setting up two powerline networks in your home (one WAN, the other LAN) or else a single network that carried both WAN and LAN traffic which doesn't sound like it would succeed.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

If this is a sneaky trick to make me do some exercise in my spare time then it isn't working.

lazy.jpg

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

I can assure you it is working admirably. As for losing the powerline network - it was only to get a decent connection to the Youview box.  Now the router is behind the TV, connected via the powerline adapter to the YV box.

So no loss really - but if I wanted to use the powerline system elsewhere in the house I would have to rethink this - again!

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Time to rethink. It worked fine for a few days, then for some reason decided to not play. I can't think of any reason why it should do that but I've decided to but the bullet and bought a couple of new powerline adapters to add to the two I have.
jrilton
Rising Star

Living in a 2 story house I've always struggled to get decent wifi coverage all over my home. My master socket is by the front door on the ground floor at the front of the house. I was lucky I was able to installed a gigabit network in my home, behind all the walls.

I bought a Draytek 2750 (non wifi version) to be the modem and router. which sits by the mater socket then I plugged it into my network which goes to the middle floor to a switch and that feeds all the wiring in my home, including a wifi access Point, which is now in the dead centre of my home. Perfect wifi everywhere and anything that can be wired is wired Smiley

Took some doing but its well worth it, sounds like that might not be an option with your walls? I was also lucky that the soil pipe is boxed in so I managed to use this access to run the cables between floors.