Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get fibre despite BT Wholesale saying it's available

FIXED
Sheddyian
Grafter

I can't get fibre despite BT Wholesale saying it's available

I moved to a new address in Wales a few months ago.  When I looked to get fibre at the time, it was not available to me.  My neighbour has 40mb fibre with EE.  The Fast Broadband Wales site told me there was no spare capacity, so did BT Wholesale address checker.  BT Broadband, TalkTalk and Plusnet would only sell me ADSL at that address.

So I joined Plusnet with an ADSL service (I get 1.5mb - it's reliable but very slow).

I recently checked again, and the Fast Broadband Wales site now says I can get fibre at my address.  So does the BT Wholesale Address checker.  And, when I went to look for the cabinet I'm connected to, I see there had been some work done there VERY recently, new infrastructure added.

Hooray!

So I tried to upgrade to fibre from Plusnet.  And was told it's not available in my area!

My neighbour has 40mb fibre from EE and has had for some years.  We are in the same building, served from the same pole.

The Welsh Broadband checker, that previously said there was no capacity, now says there is and I should get between 59.4 and 30mb on my line.

BT Broadband site that previously would only sell me ADSL now tries to sell me Fibre at 59mb.

But Plusnet can't?

I have attached some pictures illustrating the above.

Can someone look into this please?

Many thanks

Ian

20 REPLIES 20
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: I can't get fibre despite BT Wholesale saying it's available

Hi @Sheddyian 

I've just popped your landline number into DSL Checker  This shows me the Exchange and Cab which you are routed through and I can see that you currently are still on ADSL2+ speeds I'm afraid, with an Estimated Speed Range of 1 to 3Mbps. 

Sorry about this.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Sheddyian

This looks like another case where OpenReach records haven't been updated properly. Can you confirm if using your phone number on the DSL Checker provides a different result to that when using your address or post code.

Brian

Sheddyian
Grafter

Yes, this is the case.  If I enter my phone number, BT Wholesale check tells me no FTTC (but does tell me that FTTP is available).  Address checker says FTTC is available.  (And my neighbour has had FTTC for a few years now).

Thanks

Ian

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If it's residential FTTP, not FTTP On Demand (which costs thousands) that's available then why not apply to go on the FTTP trial?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Ian.

Are you entering your address or telephone number into the BT Broadband site?

If it's your address then that would make sense as DSL Checker does show FTTC is available at your address but not for your particular line via your telephone number.

Unfortunately whilst it's likely to be a records issue, our suppliers advise that the most accurate results are always obtained via a number as opposed to address.

If you would like to query this with Openreach, I'd fill out this form and you'll receive a response from their fibre availability enquiries team.

(Doesn't look like the form is working right now though as Formwize seems to be undergoing a major outage)

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Baldrick1

From an image in the first post it's FTTP on Demand

@Sheddyian

Welcome to an alternative world!!! It appears you need to get OpenReach to update their address records - many would say it's easier to get blood out of a stone or a Politian to tell the truth!!!

PlusNet systems work off the phone number so if it says no then they can't supply

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

That's a shame - another option closed off.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sheddyian
Grafter

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi Ian.

Are you entering your address or telephone number into the BT Broadband site?

If it's your address then that would make sense as DSL Checker does show FTTC is available at your address but not for your particular line via your telephone number.

Yes, I found that entering my address showed it was available (it had previously told me there was no capacity for my address), but entering my phone number told me not available.

Thanks for the link, I have filled in the form (working now!) and explained the problem briefly, stressing too that my neighbour has fibre which works fine for him.

The Openreach When Can I Get Fibre? link on the form gave me a similar result - address check says yes, phone check says no.

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We'll tackle this from our side too, I've sent our version of the formwize off for you.

I believe it'll be seen by the same people in the Openreach fibre availability enquiries team, but we'd generally receive a response a lot sooner within 7 working days.

Would be interesting to compare the response we receive.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Sheddyian I've just received the following response from Openreach.

"The information that we have regarding your query is that FTTC technology is in place but the demand for fibre has been very high in that area and the equipment that would supply the exchange has run out of space for any additional customers on the cabinet that feeds this address. I am contacting another department who deals with the capacity issues and will update you on 5th July 2018."

Essentially, there's a capacity issue and we should know more in a week.

If you don't hear back from me by then, it'll just mean I haven't heard back yet. Feel free to give me a nudge, and I'll chase this up. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sheddyian
Grafter

Many thanks for the update.

Regards

Ian

Sheddyian
Grafter

Hi,

Just a nudge, as I've not heard anything recently about FTTC availability for my line.

Just now I put my phone number into the old BT Wholesale availability checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and this now gives me FTTC info, telling me there's a waiting list.  Previously a phone number check told me nothing about FTTC, but an address check showed waiting list (a few months ago) or availability (recently).  So something has changed.

Thanks

Ian

bmc
Hero

@Sheddyian

Try your phone number in the following and see what it says about your cabinet.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Brian

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there,

I have chased this up with Anoush for you and we are awaiting an update on your cabinet/available services.

Please be aware that usually if your cabinet shows a waiters list there is lack of capacity but on occasion this can be incorrect. This is what we are chasing up for you now.

We will be in touch when we have more information but if you have any further queries please feel free to give us a shout!

Thanks.

- Ollie