cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge drop off in broadband speed

Mechee
Hooked

Huge drop off in broadband speed

Just came back from holiday and my broadband has gone from 20-30mbps to less than 1. I called Plusnet support and the contact centre person said that it was probably multiple devices which were using up all the bandwidth. I couldn't prove otherwise because I had a family member tuned into YouTube at the time.

I have since switched off all wireless and wired devices apart from one laptop connected by ethernet and I'm getting 1.8Mbps which is utter rubbish for 20 odd pounds per month. 

One thing which they asked was how was my phone line, I said I didn't know since I haven't used it in years, I have plugged it in and and charged it and there's no dial tone. This would surely point at line fault somewhere between the socket and the cabinet. 

I have restarted my router several times and am using a known to be working wired connection to a good laptop. The loss of speed has been 7 hours so it's unlikely to be a fleeting thing.

17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Huge drop off in broadband speed

It won't get better until you get the phone line fixed - broadband can work on one wire, but the phone needs two. CS should have been able to see your slower speeds, but maybe not the cause.

Have you tried the phone in the test socket? Have you reported a phone fault - guess it is too late this evening, but you should first thing in the morning if you still have no dial tone in the test socket.

Mechee
Hooked

Customer service told me I was getting 16Mbps (approximately) which was empirically not the case. I think all he did was dial into the same status page on my hub (see screenshot).

I haven't tried the test socket yet since I only have a DECT phone and it hasn't been used in years, it's showing some bars but I think I need a wired analog phone which I'll get tomorrow to be sure. If the wired phone agrees with the wireless one I'll raise a ticket with support about the phoneline and hopefully it'll kill 2 birds with one stone.

Cheers for the advice.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Mechee,

I'm sorry to hear about this recent experience. I've taken a further look into this today and upon testing your landline I've discovered an external fault, which is the most likely cause of the issues you're reporting. I've logged a fault ticket concerning this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mechee
Hooked

Open Reach called round today and fixed the phone line, I'm still getting 1.8Mbps down from 20-30Mbps over broadband Sad 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Mechee Try rebooting the hub once, and see if things improve.

John
Mechee
Hooked

I did that several times before replying still the same slow speed. The DSL line status speed page on the router's management still says 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up yet speed test shows 1.5Mbps down and 2Mbps up, is the hub broken? 

jab1
Legend

I'm sure @TheMightyAJ will follow this up, but just for my curiosity, can you post your router Help Desk page - obscuring/removing any identifying data - might tell us something? - or might  not.

Personally, I don't think it is the router.

John
Mechee
Hooked

Not sure what the help desk page is sorry. Is that the page generated when the orange light comes on and there's no connection?

jab1
Legend

Click  the 'Troubleshooting' tab as shown in this picture - it should open the page I'm asking for - I think. I've never used a Hub1, only going on what I've seen posted previously.

Hub1.PNG

John
Mechee
Hooked

Scratch that last reply I found the help page

Mechee
Hooked

Here's the redacted help page thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us (and as nobody's said it yet) welcome to our Community Forums @Mechee Smiley

I'm really sorry to see your speeds are still slow. Looking into this, you actually shouldn't be able to get online at all. From what I can see the last connection your router had to your account was on the 17:08 09/Jul/2021. Huh

Testing your line is showing your router's stuck in auto-setup mode. I've given things a prod which normally fixes the issue, but it's not in this case, so could you factory reset your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset pin hole at the back for 20 seconds or until the light along the front goes green.

If you can wait 10 minutes for the router to start up and if there's no improvement, can you try the following steps?

1. Connect a device onto the router's WiFi or plug a laptop/PC into the router using an ethernet cable

2. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

3. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

4. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

5. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Broadband tab

6. If there's a Disconnect button, click that

7. Change the username to the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net If you can't remember this I'd check for any emails we've sent you for example an email with you bill on as we'd add the username to the top of the email.

8. Type in the account password, this can be reset here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ if needed.

9. Hit the Connect button.

This should improve your download speed to around 15mbps as your router's getting that as a sync speed. As that's still below where we'd expect (20mbps to 31.1mbps), please could you then report a fault to us at faults.plus.net and in the notes box at the end, add your availability for a broadband engineer visit. The available timeslots are weekdays 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away.

Once you've raised the fault or if you've got further issues or queries, feel free to post here and we'll make sure this is picked back up for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Gandalf - I'm confused now. Huh

John