cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge BufferBloat issues.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Re: Huge BufferBloat issues.

Honestly at this point i've had 3 engineer visits and they always leave saying there's nothing wrong and it's my ISP's problem, then Plusnet do something, it gets better for about 24 hours then returns to the [-Censored-] state it's in again.

So it's really impossible for me as a customer to know who's problem it is, I'm just at the point where im looking for a legal way to exit my contract and switch a provider outside of the BT circle.

This issue has been on-going since December 2018, after several calls/online chats i decided to take it to the forum because i was honestly sick of re-explaining the issue every single time i spoke to customer services.

And yes, even though there is equipment i can purchase to improve my experience, that doesn't excuse the fact that there are genuine faults being logged on my line and nothing is being done about it. If these faults were resolved, then i'd happily invest money into my own equipment to further improve the experience.

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

Changing ISP will not solve a bad connection / connection drops to the cabinet, it is a FTTC / fibre connection you're on right ?

Although a different ISP might be able to give Openreach a better kick to sort out the problem.

I assume you've had your master phone socket updated ? do you have any extensions in your house from the master socket, if so I'd definitely disconnect them and use a wireless phone plugged into your master socket.

When I had an engineer visit he cleaned up the connection terminals outside of my house i.e. where the wire comes into my house, it made no difference but have your engineers actually tried things like this ?

Although thinking about it, your connection drop could be a separate issue to connection speed, a different ISP could help here.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Well we actually have ISP's up here that do not even use the Openreach network, Since whereI live in Scotland has a high concentration of Wind farms with 10gigabit private lines they have been working with local ISP's to give people WiFi over Satelite which connects to the nearest Wind Farm, a portion of their insainely high networks is auctioned off to these local WiFi providers. I used to live in the middle of nowhere, 60 miles from the nearest town/city, 15 miles away from the nearest shop, and I had 55mbps down and 30mbps up using WiFi satelites to a windfarm 10 miles away, the latency was good too.

The line i would have had to use if i had opted for a normal ISP, would have been 6 miles to the nearest exchange, 1.2mbps down and 200kbps up. So it was a no brainer.

However, these solutions are extremely exspensive outside of Rural area's due to the lack of community demand, when i lived in the country side the 30 people in the village got together to all buy it and it worked out very affordable for everyone, i don't imagine that would be the case living where i do now. But that depends how much i want it, If carry on paying £37 a month for fibre that hardly acts like 3g mobile networks in terms of bandwidth and latency for the next two years, then i've wasted £800.

I do not have a landline telephone in my house, I can't imagine having one in 2019, there's nothing plugged into any of the extension sockets in my home, My partners PC is up stairs, but i recently just cabled her in with ethernet also, which suprisingly made zero difference over the 1gigbit powerline adapters she was using before. (My house was actually build in november 2018, so it's extremely new, so the wiring inside the house was good enough for powerline to work flawlessly.)

My Gaming PC/Workstation is still currently plugged into the mastersocket since I moved everything last week. When these tests are performed all the Wireless devices in my house are always turned off.

All my neighbours on fiber also have the same problems as i do, they are on a variety of ISP's from BT/Plusnet/Sky/TalkTalk
The only other neighbour to actually care about the problems though is another gamer, who notices the latency issues, your normal everyday household who just watched netflix and downloads on demand TV would never notice latency issues, unless the bandwidth was terrible, but I've asked around and they all pay for 30mbps, I'm the only person who pays for a higher package, so the loss of 20mbps is only noticeable by me.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Well we actually have ISP's up here that do not even use the Openreach network, Since whereI live in Scotland has a high concentration of Wind farms with 10gigabit private lines they have been working with local ISP's to give people WiFi over Satelite which connects to the nearest Wind Farm, a portion of their insainely high networks is auctioned off to these local WiFi providers. I used to live in the middle of nowhere, 60 miles from the nearest town/city, 15 miles away from the nearest shop, and I had 55mbps down and 30mbps up using WiFi satelites to a windfarm 10 miles away, the latency was good too.

The line i would have had to use if i had opted for a normal ISP, would have been 6 miles to the nearest exchange, 1.2mbps down and 200kbps up. So it was a no brainer.

However, these solutions are extremely exspensive outside of Rural area's due to the lack of community demand, when i lived in the country side the 30 people in the village got together to all buy it and it worked out very affordable for everyone, i don't imagine that would be the case living where i do now. But that depends how much i want it, If carry on paying £37 a month for fibre that hardly acts like 3g mobile networks in terms of bandwidth and latency for the next two years, then i've wasted £800.

I do not have a landline telephone in my house, I can't imagine having one in 2019, there's nothing plugged into any of the extension sockets in my home, My partners PC is up stairs, but i recently just cabled her in with ethernet also, which suprisingly made zero difference over the 1gigbit powerline adapters she was using before. (My house was actually build in november 2018, so it's extremely new, so the wiring inside the house was good enough for powerline to work flawlessly.)

My Gaming PC/Workstation is still currently plugged into the mastersocket since I moved everything last week. When these tests are performed all the Wireless devices in my house are always turned off.

All my neighbours on fiber also have the same problems as i do, they are on a variety of ISP's from BT/Plusnet/Sky/TalkTalk
The only other neighbour to actually care about the problems though is another gamer, who notices the latency issues, your normal everyday household who just watched netflix and downloads on demand TV would never notice latency issues, unless the bandwidth was terrible, but I've asked around and they all pay for 30mbps, I'm the only person who pays for a higher package, so the loss of 20mbps is only noticeable by me.

I've had to repost this as apparently, it has been marked as spam and removed, are you kidding me?

Untitled.png

IAmGeo
Grafter

Screenshot_3.png

Why do my replies keep getting marked as spam?

*edit* Ok so now the removed posts are back, sorry about the double post... but this wasn't really my fault.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

posts released from Spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
IAmGeo
Grafter

Trying to watch the Canadian GP on F1TV and im buffering the entire time, I've missed the first 10 laps completely.

And this is the 720p option, Honestly PN..I'm so close to canceling my DD.. You have no idea.

nofibre
Hooked

The problem in my opinion is not 'bufferbloat' but a bug with the standard PlusNet router (e.g. I got one last month on a standard broadband package) when connecting through ethernet rather than WiFi.

In my case any persistent upload (i.e. more than 1 second) would prevent any new DNS lookups (e.g. an attempt to open any website is followed by a DNS error/'no internet'), which has the effect of ruining any download/connection. The upload itself works. When I connect to the PlusNet router by WiFi, this does not happen.

I bought a replacement modem-router (Netgear D7000/AC1900) and the problem disappeared. I have been with many ISPs and used their default modem-router over 13 years; this is the first and only time I have come across a router with a fundamental flaw such as this.

'Bufferbloat:' is a separate issue present in all routers which can be mitigated by prioritisation (Quality of Service). Under low load circumstances the rise in ping is modest and does not preclude gaming.
SUPRAASH
Grafter

I have exactly the same issues as the thread poster.
Plusnet just try blaming it on equipment my end and won't admit to the fact that they need to sort the wires outside out.

Gaming is terrible,
When I pay for top internet I expect to be able to stream 1080p faultlessly by can't.
I've also been put on a static ip apparently bit still no help at all.
I even paid for a new router and still the same.
Easier for them to send us test links and push it under the carpet.

I've had 1 guy say I had an intermittent fault on the line. Then another said it's fine.
Trust me it's not
wideeyedzombie
Hooked

@SUPRAASH 

Plusnet is owned by BT I can bet you have this issue that's been on going for 1+ years

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming...

BT have been issuing 'a fix' on a case by case basis, I'd also bet the chance of you getting 'a fix' is next to zero due to not being a direct BT customer. Clearly this issue is sensitive for some reason and BT / possibly Plusnet are keeping the reason for the problem hidden.

If you want to game then BT and associated ISPs are not going to give you a good result. Change to Sky, Zen or leetline.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @SUPRAASH, I'm really sorry that you're having some issues with your service.

I have tested the line today and we are seeing you in sync at 60.2mb with no faults detected and a check shows there are no signs of congestion on your VP.

Can you please advise what speeds you are seeing on your side and if the issue occurs over your wired connections?

If you haven't already, I'd get connected into your test socket for the time being.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SUPRAASH
Grafter

After reading through the link zombie posted I know that's my issue.
It's like you advertise nice fast speeds and don't let us use the connection properly.
As if somethings wrong
When streaming content it's impossible to do anything else
When gaming without streaming it's almost manageable but not what should be expected for what we pay for.
It's pointless doing tests I've done it plenty of times before just for someone to say they can't find anything wrong.
If virgin was in my area I would be with them.
I'm sick of being fobbed off all the time.
The problem isn't inside my house it's your side.
Not a problem in the day time.
Peak times is the issue as if you guys throttle me
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for your reply.

Just to confirm, we do not throttle. As previously mentioned, we aren't seeing any contention that should be affecting you during peak times.

If this issue is also affecting wired connections, I'd advise getting connected into your test socket raising a fault here, letting us know once done so we can progress this with an engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
nofibre
Hooked

Are you using the PlusNet modem-router or your own?
nofibre
Hooked

Whatever you do, please (for your own sanity) do not go with Virgin. Sorry, had to say that as in my experience they were simply the most hopeless broadband provider around. If you think what you're experiencing now is a problem, it's worth pointing out many if not most virgin customers get regular disconnections - not just ping spikes. They simply never acknowledge the problem and try and threaten termination charges. Rant over.