Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge BufferBloat issues.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Re: Huge BufferBloat issues.

Sky don't rely on BT/Openreach?
Shame Sky Fibre is not avaliable in my area.

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

Sky will rely on Openreach for the connection to the exchange, Openreach and BT are separate companies.

The routing of TCP/IP data packets will be done by Sky infrastructure, this is part that BT struggle with in terms of having too many subscribers. I believe this to be very area dependant, so I have a good BT connection, many don't though.

IAmGeo
Grafter

I don't even know what to say anymore.

Is there any reason why today my connection is utter [-Censored-]?

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/50421785

Screenshot.png

I know it's early Monday, but is there an update regarding the HR Joint fault that keeps cropping up?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @IAmGeo,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with the connection. I've updated the fault ticket on your account today regarding this issue, which can be viewed here. Please let us know once you've responded and we'll pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wideeyedzombie
Hooked

@IAmGeo your speed is all over the place - do you check your router stats when you're at low speed i.e. has your connection dropped and sync'd up at a low speed ?

Can you see the errors on your router ? have these started to increase. I've never experienced low speed with BT just a high ping jitter, your jitter is bad but is less significant in comparison to your RTT / pings, these are ridiculously high. Looks like you've gone back 10 years and you're using a dial up modem.

IAmGeo
Grafter

I have replied to the ticket.

The internet is so bad right now, i can't even send a message over Discord without it taking 3 minutes. sometimes failing and having to be resent, browsing the web feels like dial up, videos can't load, even tweets take forever to load, I've completely missed the F1 qualy today because i can't stream it. this is the worst service i've ever seen since i actually had Orange broadband back in 2005.

mpmc
Grafter

@IAmGeo I really hope you get these problems sorted for good. It's very similar to how our line behaves, we've had so many engineers out to try and fix the IIRC HR fault that comes and goes, I've given up reporting it now and just live with it. As the engineer told me "we can't do anything about it as you have aluminium on your line". 

We thankfully don't have the high latency issues like you but our line errors often and drops, latest being about 12 hours ago, and in the time since, our stats show this..

Line State: UP [0x0]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime: 11h 33m 12s
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 23.425 Mb/s / 3.582 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 23.706 Mb/s / 3.596 Mb/s
Latency: 0.60 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 26.5 dB / 32.7 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 23.0 dB / 32.5 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 6.2 dB / 6.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 7.1 dB / 11.4 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 8
Errored seconds (ES): 913 / 23022
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 510 / 14
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 3 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 189 / 189
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 782 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Broadcom 164.140
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

These stats are from a PN H1 running openwrt, which I've enabled SQM cake on (to make sharing the connection fairer)

IAmGeo
Grafter

These stats are from a PN H1 running openwrt, which I've enabled SQM cake on (to make sharing the connection fairer)

The plusnet hub one running openwrt? Is this actually possible!?

mpmc
Grafter

Absolutely, although it isn't supported by PN themselves. The PNH1 is just a rebranded BT Homehub 5A, If you have the soldering skills you can flash it yourself, or buy one pre-flashed/soldered on ebay.

hub.png

I find it much more stable than the PN provided firmware, I still have a PN H1 spare if the need arises for support though.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Wow, this is awesome.

I actually have 2 PNH1's so I can always give it a try without much risk.

I'd say my soldering skills are reletively amature, but i don't see why i couldn't pull it off with some patience.

I'm not suprised openwrt feels more stable, everything about the PNH1 device seems like it was done as cheap as humanly possible.

mpmc
Grafter

I'm not suprised openwrt feels more stable, everything about the PNH1 device seems like it was done as cheap as humanly possible.

I don't think the PN firmware is that bad, it just has some undocumented features bugs ;).

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

I'd look at buying a different router, I can personally recommend billion routers, I use a BiPAC 8900X R3, rock solid connection and it almost doubled my sync speed compared to the BT supplied hardware.

It may be dependant on the hardware you're connecting to, the billion routers use the Broadcom chip set, which I'm sure would work best if it's Broadcom in the cabinet your're connecting to.

if you're using openwrt aren't you introducing another unknown into your problem, I'm sure it works but can you be confident that there's isn't an issue with this code, for example it may work great with a good connection but does it handle errors correctly and efficiently, you've got quite a lot of upstream errors happening.

Upstream problems will effect download probably just as much, e.g. if you can't get your TCP ACKs sent out quickly or at all then you'll end up with all sorts of problems like retransmissions.

mpmc
Grafter

It may be dependant on the hardware you're connecting to, the billion routers use the Broadcom chip set, which I'm sure would work best if it's Broadcom in the cabinet your're connecting to.

This is absolutely true, but in my case it made no difference whatsoever - and yes I have a broadcom based router (x6200) that I ran for a while and that still dropped the connection just as much.

if you're using openwrt aren't you introducing another unknown into your problem, I'm sure it works but can you be confident that there's isn't an issue with this code, for example it may work great with a good connection but does it handle errors correctly and efficiently, you've got quite a lot of upstream errors happening.

If you think about it the same could be said about other firmware, closed or open. Some closed firmware, even the PN H1 uses open source code. The upstream errors on my line are apparently because of aluminium, or so I've been told - IIRC the PNH1 reported a lot more errors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the PNH1 was reporting more down stream errors then that can mean one of two things.

1. It’s a better router as it can detect and report more minor line errors.
or
2. It’s not a very good router and doesn’t respond well to minor faults on the line.

Sorry @mpmc glad it’s not my connection Smiley

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

It has to be the physical wire from your house, surely Openreach should fix this.