Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge BufferBloat issues.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Re: Huge BufferBloat issues.

That's better 🙂
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/50161911

This was with zero other network traffic, on ethernet.

Bufferbloat is as low as i've ever seen it, still too high on both uploading and downloading, but the upstream bufferbloat is what effects gaming, and to see that at 70ms rather than 280ms is a big releif.

I've been thinking, I want to eliminate it on my network as best as possible also.

If i were to purchase an Ubiquiti ER4 and enable it's QoS features this would do the trick, I notice when my kids are watching something using the FireTV the ping becomes erractic, spiking into 80-200 with packet loss, though i haven't tested to see if the profile increase has helped under stress yet.

Anyway, I can't use a router like the ER4 without a modem, how do i go about getting one of those Openreach modems installed?

**Edit**
Just noticed BT Openreach are selling them on Amazon for £20.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

That's better 🙂 
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/50161911

This was with zero other network traffic, on ethernet.

Bufferbloat is as low as i've ever seen it, still too high on both uploading and downloading, but the upstream bufferbloat is what effects gaming, and to see that at 70ms rather than 280ms is a big releif.

That's good to see Thumbs_Up

If i were to purchase an Ubiquiti ER4 and enable it's QoS features this would do the trick, I notice when my kids are watching something using the FireTV the ping becomes erractic, spiking into 80-200 with packet loss,

It's possible that this may help things but it'll be difficult to advise definitively.

though i haven't tested to see if the profile increase has helped under stress yet.

It's probably worth retesting it as you'll have a lot more bandwidth to play around with now.

Anyway, I can't use a router like the ER4 without a modem, how do i go about getting one of those Openreach modems installed?

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware these were discontinued a good 3-4 years ago or at least we're no longer able to arrange for an Openreach engineer to go out to install one since we brought out the Hub One at the end of 2015.

You'd need to either look at buying a 3rd party VDSL/fibre modem to use with the router, or buy an Openreach modem from an online retailer like eBay, or look at a different router with a modem built in.

I'm likely stating the obvious here but if you go for a second hand Openreach modem this wouldn't be something we'd be able to support if anything goes wrong with it, it'll be like buying 3rd party equipment.

Hope this helps though.

[edit]

My post crossed with your edit.

Just noticed BT Openreach are selling them on Amazon for £20

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IAmGeo
Grafter

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware these were discontinued a good 3-4 years ago or at least we're no longer able to arrange for an Openreach engineer to go out to install one since we brought out the Hub One at the end of 2015.

You'd need to either look at buying a 3rd party VDSL/fibre modem to use with the router, or buy an Openreach modem from an online retailer like eBay, or look at a different router with a modem built in.

I'm likely stating the obvious here but if you go for a second hand Openreach modem this wouldn't be something we'd be able to support if anything goes wrong with it, it'll be like buying 3rd party equipment.

Can the Hub one be put into a bridged mode?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid that's not possible

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IAmGeo
Grafter

Any recommendations for a Router/Modem combo with QoS features, WiFi honestly isn't a big deal for me, i hardly ever use it, I'm with Plusnet mobile and have a great data package. There's about 8 Amazon devices (Tablets, Echo, FireTV) in the house which operate fine on any 5Ghz Wireless N/AC network.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Personally for the past 10 years I've mostly used ISP routers until a few months ago I got This. I find it reasonable and while I've not explored the advanced settings properly it does have QoS but I'm not sure how good it is compared to others.

If a knowledgeable community-rino doesn't come along soon it may be worth posting in the router board for advice.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IAmGeo
Grafter

Screenshot_5.pngScreenshot_6.png

Why has this reduced again? I'm getting so damn tired of this.

• Internet dropped, which is why my router has only been online for 1h:52m 
IAmGeo
Grafter

3x my internet has lost connectivity between the hours of 1045:-12:10

Screenshot_7.png

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @IAmGeo, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

I have tested your line again today and testing is still picking up a problem. I have actually tested your line twice this morning, the first time showed clear at 41Mbps and the second test came back 39.7Mbps and recognised an issue.

With this in mind, I have rejected this back to our suppliers for further attention. At this stage there's no indication that we need to proceed with a further engineer visit, but I would say due to the intermittent nature of the problem, it is very likely they will request this when they get back to us.

For the moment, keep track of your speeds and we will be in touch when we have an update.

If you need to add anything further, you can reply to the open fault ticket on your account HERE.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

@IAmGeo,

My apologies, those drops were very likely me testing your line a couple of times.

It seems we both responded at the same time.

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

I'd advise you to download and use pinglogger from pinglogger .co .uk, this graphs your ping times and makes it really easy to spot problems. Also ping tracer 1.8 from Github does a great job of pinging all the hops to a destination IP with a graph for each hop. It's interesting that your route goes through the BT core network, I thought plusnet had their own infrastructure.I was considering a switch to plusnet but having seen they use the BT core network then I won't bother. I've been having problems with ping spikes as well and I'm with BT, these have been solved by some mysterious fix that BT hasn't shared with me, I did see my route changing via the BT core network just before things got better. Check out the BT forums and search for 'netflix and ping spikes', there's a 28 page thread with details that might apply to what you're seeing.
IAmGeo
Grafter

Nothing has changed yet,

33.7 Mbps download

4.44 Mbps upload

The drop in bandwidth has caused the latency issues to come back, it was great for a day and a half...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @IAmGeo, thanks for the update.

I've just checked the fault and it had again been marked clear by BTWholesale. I've again rejected this and will monitor the fault until my shift ends at 10pm for further information.

As soon as I have an update I'll be sure to let you know directly, although this may not be today.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Any update on this?

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/50387838

Seeing ping spikes over 1000ms this morning. It's also extremely wet today.

I wonder if there the same fault as before it currently flagged up.

wideeyedzombie
Hooked

"It's also extremely wet today." could also mean everyone is inside using the internet, putting strain on the already overloaded BT core network.

Just had a guy switch from BT to Sky on the BT forums that was having ping spikes into the 100's of seconds just by having a single Netflix stream, guess what, all his ping spikes have gone.

I feel sorry for ISPs that rely on BT, it's not their fault, their section of the network is probably top notch.