Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge BufferBloat issues.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Huge BufferBloat issues.

I've just checked the fault report and the engineer hasn't submitted any notes so I don't think they've been out yet but I'll check again in a couple of hours time for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IAmGeo
Grafter

As far as I am aware no Engineer has been to my property, couldn't say for sure for sure if he/she is at the node though, it's pretty far away.

*Edit* Just had a call he's on his way and will be about 45 minutes.

Thanks for the update.

IAmGeo
Grafter

As expected, the Engineer cannot detect any problems.

It's afternoon on a weekday, there never is, as i've stated in previous posts this latency issue becomes a huge problem in the evenings.

Someone needs to come around when the problem actually exists. I've made it pretty clear with the screenshots, that this is a real problem.

I showed the Engineer this thread, my screenshots, logs of my tests and he see's that there is a real problem, but as he cannot detect one right now, there is nothing for him to trace.

I don't want to do this, but if this problem doesn't get resolved soon, I'm going to be submitting a report to ofcom about my service.

**Edit**

10 minutes after the Engineer left.

Untitled.png

I did text the Engineer with this screenshot attatched, but unfortunately he has already put the job back and does not have access to get it back.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, sorry to see that the engineer wasn't able to make any headway on the issue. 

What I need to ascertain first is if they were able to clear the high resistance cable fault that we booked them out to fix. 

It looks like the testing system we use (KBD) is down at the moment as a few of us are having problems with it. I'll come back to this and respond in full as soon as I can see an up to date set of diagnostic results. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IAmGeo
Grafter

The Engineer stated that the fault he was booked out to fix was no longer a fault either and took no action on it.

According to his reports, which he showed me on his phone, it has been logged several times throughout the last few days and then today was completely clear, he suggested it could be casued by wet weather, which the last few days have been very wet, today is sunny and dry...

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, it sounds like it would be worth focusing on the potential for there to be an issue with a line fault still. The testing system is still down but I'll keep trying. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IAmGeo
Grafter

It's really frustrating that an Engineer visit consists of luck, It is an intermitent issue and if it happens to be clear for that 30 minute window when the Engineer arrives, they go away.

I'm thankful that something is being done about it ofcourse, and yes this potential fault is 100% worth focusing on, but how do we ensure that next time around it is actually discovered?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just been able to test the line and we're no longer seeing the high-resistance fault which is good. And I'm also seeing an increase in the speed profile which is even better so I've set our profile to match that (55.7mbs).

I really don't think it comes down to luck, speed issues and especially latency can and do take multiple investigations to get to the bottom of in a lot of cases. Going forward it would be best to let us know the next time we're in wet-weather territory so we can arrange another engineer visit, we would also send them notes advising that it only seems to become an issue in those conditions. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IAmGeo
Grafter

I assume because I am so far away from the node, that is the reason why I never see anything higher than 30Mbs?

Screenshot_2.png

And not the 55.7Mbs that my profile is and what my router thinks it's cable of.
Screenshot_3.png

Which is strange because a few weeks ago I was downloading games at 50mbs around the evenings/midnight.
But as of recent, it's been pretty solid at 30mbs and I never get that extra speed anymore.
If it's unlikely that i will ever see speeds that fast again, then is it possible to have my contract adjusted? (without renewing for longer) I signed up for the 60mbs package over the 45mbs one, because that extra 5mb felt worth i (and with the hopes that maybe overnight downloads might reach 55-60). But if im never going to go above 45mbs ever again, then I am just wasting money. Undecided

IAmGeo
Grafter

I've just been able to test the line and we're no longer seeing the high-resistance fault which is good

Today is very wet, could you please check to see if the fault has come back?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @IAmGeo, thanks for your post.

I've just re-tested the line and we aren't detecting any sort of issue - in fact we're showing that the router is currently in sync at around 55.7mbps.

Are you able to run a wired test via Googles speed tester here and send us over the results?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I wonder what a traceroute looks like?

It's unfortunate the Hub One doesn't display detailed DSL line stats/errors so there is no way of knowing if there are errors on the DSL line causing your issues. Neither can you enable ICMP ping on the hub to assess any packet loss using thinkbroadband's BQM tool.   Severe packet loss may be an explanation for the latency and discrepancy between 55mb line speed and 30mb speed test.  (Only other thought is Plusnet haven't set the profile correctly at their end or there is congestion somewhere)

An 'unlocked' Openreach Huawei HG612 (type 3B) VDSL bridge modem is probably one of the best devices for obtaining detailed DSL line stats using 'xdslcmd' command via telnet.  If I recall, it can display error stats for last 15 minutes and last 24 hours.   However, you cannot enable ping on a bridge modem.   The Hub One plugs into the HG612 btw.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14262.0.html

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

There are also some graphing tools available for unlocked HG612

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm

Someone else may have other suggestions.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
IAmGeo
Grafter

Are you able to run a wired test via Googles speed tester here and send us over the results?

11:30:

index.png

17:00:

Screenshot_4.png

it's a shame the Hub one doesn't come with any QOS features, this would atleast allow me to determine if the Hub one is the cause as it's not priotising real time applications such as a multiplayer games over other types of traffic, or if there is a problem with the line where any downstream or upstream traffic causes high latency. 

IAmGeo
Grafter

fwiw, I wonder what a traceroute looks like?

C:\Users\Kyle>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     4 ms     3 ms     3 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
  2    26 ms    29 ms    29 ms  vl241.ptw-ag02.plus.net [84.93.253.120]
  3    30 ms    27 ms    28 ms  84.93.253.127
  4    29 ms    30 ms    27 ms  195.99.125.142
  5   106 ms    75 ms   111 ms  peer2-et-3-0-5.slough.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.130]
  6    28 ms    30 ms    32 ms  109.159.253.69
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    31 ms    32 ms    32 ms  216.239.57.116
  9    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  108.170.232.105
 10   304 ms   172 ms   130 ms  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Running this trace multiple times results in every hop experiencing latency spikes in different runs.

Severe packet loss may be an explanation for the latency and discrepancy between 55mb line speed and 30mb speed test.  (Only other thought is Plusnet haven't set the profile correctly at their end or there is congestion somewhere)

Most of the games i play online notify me of packet loss while the latency spiking issues comes up.

My previous address had one of those Huawei HG612's & an older router i don't remember the model of, before Plusnet sent out the Hub One. Unfortunately i no longer have it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @IAmGeo 

Looks like your connection hadn't dropped since Adam increased the profile on your account.

I'd recommend rebooting your router and you'll likely then see an increase in speed.

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet