cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge BufferBloat issues.

IAmGeo
Grafter

Re: Huge BufferBloat issues.

Here's a test I just performed from DSLreports.
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/49939848

IAmGeo
Grafter

Here's an update after 4 and a half hours of being connected to the test socket.

8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 3.7
9. Line attenuation: 35.9 / 22.7
10. Signal attenuation: 35.3 / 20.5

Still seeing ping spikes up to and over 150ms.
Tested 2x games
10 minute ping test to 8.8.8.8 had spikes between 110-150ms roughly every 10-15 seconds.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

he also stated that the noise margin was set very low and called someone to have it raised from 3 to 6. 

I'm not sure anymore if this was for the upstream or downstream.

It will be for the downstream.  If the noise margin had been raised to 6 dB, the maximum downstream data rate will have come down too.  eg. to below 45 mbps approx

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
IAmGeo
Grafter

So this is why my bandwidth came down from 45-50mbps to 35mbps?
This has been bugging me for ever, when i renewed my contract I specifically said i wanted to pay the extra for the 60mbps line, knowing that it was unlikely i would fully reach this but having the extra 10mbps (averaging 50mbps) was worth it for Gaming/Twitch streaming/Streaming - I'm a heavy user, my previous house had 80mpbs down and 20mpbs up so i was too used to that.

I'm not sure how i feel about this, I never really got told the reasoning behind this change, any idea why?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The greater the noise margin, the lower the interference and the corresponding data rate. 

Put simply, your current property is further away from the FTTC cabinet than your previous property.  I think you estimated 800-900m.  At that distance, I wouldn't expect more than 30-40 mbps on a 6dB noise margin imho.

If you use the BT DSL checker and enter your previous house number and postcode, you can see how it compares to what it reports for your telephone number at current property.  Note these are estimates.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Other thoughts, have previous openreach engineer visits involved any rewiring or changing the port at the FTTC cabinet?

If the latency is fine during the daytime and only bad during peak time evenings (eg. 6pm to midnight), it could be a congestion problem?

Did you witness any latency issues when your max downstream speed was 35 mbps ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
IAmGeo
Grafter

As the crow flies, it's 700 meters, accounting for the roads and turns it's actually about 800 meters yes.

Before the change was made i consistently made 50mpbs, the change was made when i put in my original complaint about the latency issues, but the change hardly had an effect on the latency problem.

Other thoughts, have previous openreach engineer visits involved any rewiring or changing the port at the FTTC cabinet?

If the latency is fine during the daytime and only bad during peak time evenings (eg. 6pm to midnight), it could be a congestion problem?

Not to my knowledge, all i was really told by openreach was that everything they deal with looked fine, and that latency issues were an ISP problem.

I beleive it is a congestion problem, but as i was told yesterday a few comments ago, apparently it is not.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @IAmGeo 

Sorry for the issues you're experiencing. While I'm not ruling out a congestion problem even though our tests are advising there's no congestion showing, we are still seeing a high resistance fault on the line which is also likely the cause.

This is also likely causing the speed problems you're experiencing.

I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net. If you can let us know over here once you've done this we'll pick this up as soon as we can and arrange an engineer with you to investigate the fault further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IAmGeo
Grafter

Trying to log it but i keep getting this: http://prntscr.com/ns226w

EDIT: Ok should be submited now.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @IAmGeo,

I've raised a response to your fault ticket, which can be viewed here. Please let us know once you've been able to respond and we'll pick this back up for further review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
IAmGeo
Grafter

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

I have responded to the ticket.

Could someone explain to me what the following actually means?

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE

Thank you.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Funnily enough, someone else asked the same question.

Here's the reply:

A GEA test (Generic Ethernet Access) is a test of your fibre broadband line which we use to determine if a line is faulty, as well as to gain useful insights into what could be causing a specific issue.

A HR joint is a High Resistance issue, whereby something is causing excess resistance on the line and potentially causing you issues in using the service.

(above copied from here)

Regarding the CE, this handy little words and pictures (I like pictures) guide should explain that too:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-Fault-Locations/ba-p/1322784

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @IAmGeo,

Your appointment for an engineer has been booked for 24/05/2019 between 8am-1pm. You can monitor the progress of the fault here. If the appointment needs rearranging, let us know on here so we can amend it as soon as possible.

Let us know how the visit goes.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
IAmGeo
Grafter

@DS Thank you! Exactly what i wanted to know.

@Jubby Spot on, I will update tomorrow after the engineer has been round. Thank you.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

No problem @IAmGeo Wink

IAmGeo
Grafter

20190523215215_1.jpg

I like really do hope the Engineer actually resolves this issue tomorrow.
Because this is unbearable.