cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub1 Router Replacement that won't clash with Sky Q mesh network - need more powerful WiFi please

FIXED
Raadghast
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hub1 Router Replacement that won't clash with Sky Q mesh network - need more powerful WiFi please

Hello all

I have a very good Fibre Broadband service from Plusnet, but the Hub 1 router has poor WiFi distance... okay we probably all agree there BUT...

Recently on the advice of a Netgear tech who said that their Orbi system would work with the Hub1 (it doesn't connect to the Hub1 WAN socket and whilst I could get it working using one of the 4 ethernet ports it clashed with the SkyQ mesh system...) it didn't!

It seems that Plusnet don't have a better Hub device we can upgrade to, so I need a complete replacement for the Hub1 and I suspect (having tried and failed) that the support team are not able to recommend a product that isn't one of their own. I'm happy to pay for the correct piece of kit, just as long as it will provide greater WiFi distance and won't clash with Sky Q.

Please can one of the community experts advise?

Many thanks

PS. Yes, I have split the 2.5 & 5 bands so they are not sync. I have a £15 tplink extender that helps a bit but I need a better range from a better hub that will just work. Thanks again, Mike.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Hub1 Router Replacement that won't clash with Sky Q mesh network - need more powerful WiFi pleas

it doesn't connect to the Hub1 WAN socket 

Its not meant to!. The WAN socket is for an upstream connection to a modem, not a downstream connection to a wireless AP/Mesh system, that would connect via a LAN socket as you discovered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Raadghast
Hooked

Re: Hub1 Router Replacement that won't clash with Sky Q mesh network - need more powerful WiFi pleas

Well good to know I’d actually figured it out, albeit by luck, sadly the Orbi clashed with the SkyQ connectivity to the other SkyQ additional boxes. So I would’ve swapped rubbish WiFi for better WiFi but no Sky Tv in the kid’s rooms which wasn’t an acceptable choice. Thanks for the info tho, much appreciated. I just need a better hub now 👍
Raadghast
Hooked

Please can anyone recommend a direct replacement for my Hub1 Router? i.e. remove Hub1 from Plusnet and add new device that gives better WiFi distance/strength?

Preferably if know one that doesn't clash with a Sky Q system?

If someone from Plusnet can advise, that's great too 🙂

Many thanks

Raadghast
Hooked

Fix
Sorted myself. Bought a Netgear Nighthawk extender version 7500.. so far doesn’t clash and as it works in extender mode I’ve not had to change the network name or password 👍
Marvo
Dabbler

I used Powerline adapters for my Sky Q mini and plugged the main Q box straight into the LAN port of the Hub 1. Both devices connect fine and depending on where both boxes were placed in the house connected over Wi-Fi too ok.

I would suspect the Netgear Tech guy was trying to do some selling hence why you ended up with the Nighthawk.

I ended up with the Draytek 2762 simply because of the better Wi-Fi performance over the known issues on the Hub-1 and also because of the extra performance and security (built in DDoS and content filtering)

Raadghast
Hooked

I wanted to use Powerline adapters to link my SkyQ main box to the Hub1, however when the SKYQ engineer was installing he told me that the SKYQ box doesn't like Powerline... I tried it later and he was correct it ran like a pig with no legs 😞

Sadly my Netgear 7500 extender didn't solve the issue I'm having with dire WiFi connectivity around the house, although it didn't clash with SKYQ as it was extending the same SSID.

I really need a replacement hub, i.e. remove the PlusNet Hub1 totally and put something with ooomph in its place... suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

ErTnEc
Grafter

I'm trying to get my head around what you mean by 'clashing'.  By design, the Sky Q 'Mesh' network only operated directly between sky devices.  In essence, you need either a Sky AP (Sky Booster 2), or dual-run their own router with DHCP/DNS disabled and in dumb mode (so just connected via LAN to your own router).  In my setup, I use a Sky Booster 2 unit to create only the Sky 'mesh' network which then only has the SkyQ & Sky Mini boxes attached, and everything works fine.

If you try and use your own router, or non-sky supplied kit to create a WiFi network (even if you create it with the same SSID & Key you previously used) this will not create a mesh network.  Sky also restrict the 5ghz spectrum to only connect to their own kit.  If you use your own, you're limited to 2.4ghz.