Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

shauncross
Hooked

Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

Hi All,

I have the same issue as this previous post ->

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-wifi-5Ghz-speed/m-p/1508655#M5418

All devices connected via 5Ghz wifi. Over a period of a week I run speed tests from PC and phone every day, and consistently get speeds of 24-30 Mbs, should be over 70 for PC and high 60's for phone. End of week, reboot router, both PC and phone immediately up to correct speeds?

Plusnet sent me a new router but the same problem? I have split the wifi channels and tried changing the channel ?

Other than using a mechanical timer to reboot the router once a day or once a week - is there a better way than this?

Thanks,

15 REPLIES 15
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

Hi @shauncross and welcome to the forums.

There is a known issue with the wifi on th PNH1 and Plusnet are looking into this.

Following my test - here if you want to read it I'm now beginning to think the hub caching the devices is actually the problem after all. This happened several years ago with some BT Hubs and the customer 'fix' was to switch the router off, which cleared the cache, power it back up again and their (and mine at the time) devices would then reconnect perfectly fine for a while.

The reason for thinking this is because on the link I gave my 5GHz device connected once and once only - my router has not been powered off since August of last year. If I didn't have BB connection issues, I could have powered it down and repeated the test to then see if I could connect via 5GHz more than the once I could only do before!!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @shauncross

I've just tested your connection to see if there are any issues to pinpoint there but everything looks fine. 

What time is the timer set to power cycle the router? I just wanted to check if we're seeing a log of the disconnection. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shauncross
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Yes if I connect with an ethernet cable it's always fine - the problem only affects all wifi devices over time.

I haven't set the timer up just yet but I rebooted it late Saturday/Sunday I believe

shauncross
Hooked

I wasn't sure whether the timer would cause more problems if my router is seen as disconnecting often? Would this be an issue?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

What version of firmware are you on? I understand that you can see it on every page if you log into your router.

If you've had enough of the Hub One, rather than mess with timers go onto Ebay and get a Smarthun 6. There are stacks for sale at real knock down prices. Make sure that you get a FTTC version, which has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shauncross
Hooked

Baldrick1

Stick with a Smarthub 6, they're a lot lot cheaper. I've also heard that you can't separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on the new model but I not certain on this one. If you want control over settings such as preferred DNS servers then go for the Business model. Over the weekend there were a few FTTP versions for sale plus the odd older Home Hub being advertised as being a Smarthub, so a little care is needed. 

Moderator and Customer

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @shauncross

You're absolutely right that rebooting the router regularly may prove to be detrimental - the software which monitors your connection would see these reboots as a connection issue and slow the speed of your line to compensate. Obviously this isn't what you need in your current circumstances.

You looks as though you're on the most recent firmware version, so at this stage, I agree that trying another router, even as a temporary testing mechanism may be a sensible route forward. 

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

shauncross
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

Thanks got one for £12 delivered (smart hub 6 the only you said)- works a treat so thanks!

I guess its best to split the networks for best results makes sense.

Will the firmware update over time? This is the version I have.

SG4B1000B540

21-Apr-2018

Baldrick1

The firmware will automatically update even though it is connected to Plusnet, not BTr.  Leave it alone and it will automatically update sooner or later as required. The other thing to note is that it will do a soft reset every 14 days.

The reason for splitting the bands is that when the two are synchronised some devices flip flop between the two resulting in all sorts of connectivity problems.

Moderator and Customer

shauncross
Hooked

Thanks  - one more problem - my company VPN doesn't work through the home hub 6? It worked on the older plus net one. It connects but doesn't load the pages ?

Tried buying that static IP from plus, messing around with home hub 6 firewall, port clamping etc - none of that worked!

Baldrick1

Sorry I can't help with that one. I would try searching on the BT forum.

Moderator and Customer

Norfolkboy

Hi

I have been having the same wireless speed problems described and when I spoke with PN they were less than helpful. I could feel the guy *shrugging* on the phone.

So glad I found this forum and will look for a BT replacement and see if that helps.

Norfolkboy

Hi

just looking for a BT Smarthub 6 and found one called a Type A Business smarhub. Is that the version you were recommending?