Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one router rebooting at random

FIXED
ChrisC1
Fixes: 1

Hub one router rebooting at random

Hi. I've been a plusnet customer with ADSL for a couple of years and upgraded to fibre at the end of August,

The problem I have is my plusnet hub one router rebooting at random. Sometimes it restarts properly, other times is gets stuck on green and has to be switched off and on. Sometimes the broadband light comes up amber during the reboot process.

This started when running the new router on adsl before the fibre activated, and has continued.

However, I am not convinced it's a line problem as a couple of times the reboot has coincided with me opening my iPad. Unfortunately,even with the wifi switched off and laptop connected via Ethernet, it has still decided to reboot itself. I'm connected straight to the main socket via a filter, engineers socket doesn't make any difference and no apparent issues with the phone line quality.

Does this sound like something that could be solved with a new router? Could it be too many devices connected? I've read that excessive upload demand can cause dropout but there does not appear to be a way to limit upload speed. The even log is also showing a lot of suspected tcp attacks.

Any advice welcomed!

6 REPLIES 6
Animegav
Dabbler

Re: Hub one router rebooting at random

The Plusnet One router is a rebadged Home Hub 5 which is what I'm currently using. I've noticed periodic reboots which BT have put down to firmware updates etc. Never had the issue with the Smart Hub but it died about a week after my contract was up with BT- how coincidental.

Short answer: probably the router, swap it out for something that isn't supplied for free by PN
ChrisC1

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it's the router but don't want to have to buy a new one at this stage - it's not unreasonable to expect the supplied offering to work for th average user. Perhaps I should request a replacement plusnet hub and go from there.

This morning I came down at it was stuck on green - can't access the event log to find out what happened either.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your hub

From looking at your connection, things don't look good at all:

Though line tests aren't identifying any issues. Given that the router appears to be rebooting itself, I've decided to send you a new router out to you. Can you let us know how it goes when you receive it?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisC1

Fix

Thanks for picking this up - much appreciated. I'll give it a go and post back when I've got some news!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems, keep us posted!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisC1

It was the router - line is fine and working at 38 down and 2 up which is fine.

I'm actually using an Asus router but I'll keep then Plusnet hub as backup if that's ok.

Let me know if you need the malfunctioning one sending back?

Thanks again, Chris.