Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub firmware not updating - drop in speed

stchristopher8
Hooked

Hub firmware not updating - drop in speed

Hi all,

My hub has never had an update and I have had it for nearly 2 years now - I am on version:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 | Last updated Unknown

I have seen similar threads and it seems that the staff can push a new update out from your end - please can someone do this? If you need more info let me know and I will happily provide. 

The reason I ask is that my line is quite capable of getting 55mbps+ and we are on the up to 76mbps plan - when we first started out we were getting 55-60mbps for a good 8-12 months, we are now getting 40-45mbps and so I read on other threads that the lack of firmware updates to the hub could be an issue. If there are any other things that can be done I would appreciate it. It isn't really worth paying the extra money for the extra speed at this point because we could move down a plan and pay less for basically the same speed I get now. It's a shame because I know my line can do it because it used to be faster.

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Hub firmware not updating - drop in speed

Hi @stchristopher,

I'm sorry to hear your speeds aren't performing as well as they used to. I've tested your line today and I can see that you're currently achieving a downstream sync rate of 48.2Mbps which, admittedly lower than before, is within the estimated speed range for your line of 41Mbps to 60.4Mbps download speeds.

As this is the case, we wouldn't consider this to be a fault, but that's not to say that we can't offer some suggestions as to what you can do to improve the speeds you're receiving. The first port of call, if you haven't already, would be to check out our broadband troubleshooting guide which can be found here. If these steps don't help to improve the speeds at all then the best thing to do is plug your router directly into the test phone socket in the property and a guide on how to set this up can be found here.

Regarding the firmware, I've updated a few settings on our end that should allow your router to receive the latest firmware version following a factory reset of the router. To carry out a factory reset you'll need to take a look at the back of your Router and you will see a small pin-sized hole just above and slightly to the left of the power button and it will also say "RESET" below it. Please get a pin or needle and hold it in this hole for around 5-10 seconds until the light on the front of the router goes green. After this release the pin and wait about 4-5 minutes for the Router to reconnect.

After this factory reset has been completed the router will automatically update to the latest version of the firmware within the following days. Please let us know how this goes and if you have any further issues so that we can investigate further if needs be.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
stchristopher8
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ thanks for that. I will give it a reset when I get in tonight and see how it goes - thanks for the speedy reply Smiley 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@stchristopher8,

No worries, let us know if you're still having issues after the reset.