cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub disconecting randomally and slow internet...

ryanmd

Hub disconecting randomally and slow internet...

I've had my hub for about 3 years, yesterday out of the blue, the hub began disconnecting from the internet every few minutes and would take about 5 for it to reboot and connect. These disconnects were seemingly at random, sometimes we'd have a disconnect every 5 minutes and end up with 5 in the space of a half hour, then at other points we could go a few hours without these disconnects. Then today with the disconnects we've suddenly had our internet drop from about 4 megabytes per second down to 0.75 megabytes per second. The disconnects have happened before but normally once every week or so but for it to suddenly get really bad like this is madness, i've tried everything, checked the wires to ensure it's not them and nothing. The thing is when the disconnecting began yesterday it was random, last night it was whenever youtube or Netflix would go on, it would drop like the internet was being overloaded, we've been able to do this for years without issues so it's not like it's that.

At the moment i'm in a lull of it disconnecting but it's sure to go off soon again...

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Hub disconecting randomally and slow internet...

@ryanmd Sounds like you have a problem there - most likely a BT/OR network issue, but if you can post the details requested below, maybe someone can help:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
ryanmd

Hi yeah sorry for the lack of pics here they are hopefully. I have also hidden the plusnet email in the helpdesk tab, hopefully that isn't needed

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 15-30-28 BTW Performance Tester.pngInkedInkedScreenshot 2022-02-01 at 15-25-56 BT Broadband_LI.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-01 at 15-33-59 Plusnet Hub Manager - Information for Helpdesk agents.png

jab1
Legend

@ryanmd  That info is useful - but extremely confusing. The BTW test(pic1) is reporting that your IP profile is only 10.1, whilst the Wholesale checker pic2) has reported a speed (today) of 60.2

Your Help Desk is reporting an uptime of 6.1/2hrs, probably due to the disconnections, although strangely your SNR is showing a healthy 6.6 on the D/S side.

My only suggestion is to report a fault, as indicated in my original reply

Have you carried out the Quiet Line Test - I suspect you have a voice circuit problem at the bottom of all this?

John
ryanmd

Going to have to get a house phone as we've never used one and dont have one, i'll get one and hopefully figure this all out...

jab1
Legend

A cheap wired one is around £10 from the likes of Argos, and is an essential tool whilst you are on the BT copper network.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ryanmd  I wouldn't bother testing with a phone, the router sync speed is ridiculously low and the line attenuation very high, it almost looks like a disconnect in one line of the incoming cable pair. There is a phone trouble shooting test on your user account under help and support (if you can access it) It would be worth trying that , it should raise a fault for you.

Or you can try this link when logged into your account

https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ 

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid Looking at those figures again, I tend to agree a QLT probably isn't needed, but I would still get a cheap handset, if I were the OP - they come in useful until everyone's on FTTP.😉

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @ryanmd

Thanks a lot for getting in touch. It looks like you've reached out on Twitter too. We've found a fault on the line, however our suppliers are telling us that the source of this is within the customer premise. Please go through the troubleshooting steps outlined by my colleague and let us know if you're still having issues.

If you are, we'll get this raised with Openreach, and will need to arrange an engineer visit. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds